Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 05:53 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,805,788 times

Advertisements

There will always be a transactional element to relationships no matter what stage you are in. People here will deny it till they are blue in the face but it is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 06:51 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,377,447 times
Default Harsh truth I’ve learned?

Never ever, ever, trust a big butt and a smile!

Old 02-08-2020, 07:03 PM

25,930 posts, read 12,951,218 times
^^^ great post by FKAT. If you feel you are bringing more to the table than the person you are seeing, move along. Relax, and take your time because if you rush this and mess up, you'll be sorry.

You should be impressed by her, and her accomplishments. If you are not impressed, move along.

Looks and physical stuff is huge at your age, but as time passes, it wears off and its the personality, morals, ethics, work ethic, ability to compromise, money habits, all the rest that takes over.

So, while physical attraction does count, (do not discount it because that is a mistake too) don't let that dominate the situation. Give it equal priority. Find the balance.

Don't rush this.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:11 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,883,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The harsh truth? There are people who will never find love. Not because it doesn't exist, but because they are too hardheaded and too wrapped up in dumb, mechanistic theories to be open to love's possibilities.
Agreed. That was me. I had expectations and disappointments due to the other person not being what my definition of a “good partner” was. They were supposed to react and behave in a way I felt comfortable with, or I viewed them as not that interested in my happiness. A mind blowing break through in middle age, to understand not everyone grew up the same, had the same expectations, and were not able to make me happy when I didn’t communicate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Never ever, ever, trust a big butt and a smile!
Unless that’s truly your type. Then trust away

Old 02-08-2020, 07:19 PM

947 posts, read 1,188,662 times
I think love does exist for everyone, people are more jaded nowadays because nobody trust each other. There’s no way you can have a relationship without trust.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:23 PM

96 posts, read 87,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Agreed. That was me. I had expectations and disappointments due to the other person not being what my definition of a “good partner” was. They were supposed to react and behave in a way I felt comfortable with, or I viewed them as not that interested in my happiness. A mind blowing break through in middle age, to understand not everyone grew up the same, had the same expectations, and were not able to make me happy when I didn’t communicate!

Unless that’s truly your type. Then trust away
yeah that is true. Reminds me of my ex gf she grew up in a blue collar family and has tendencies that I would say is unclassy and unprofessional especially since we are in the same school together. I didn't intentionally, but tried to mold her in a way that I felt was "right."

Old 02-08-2020, 07:39 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,574,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyCar7 View Post
yeah that is true. Reminds me of my ex gf she grew up in a blue collar family and has tendencies that I would say is unclassy and unprofessional especially since we are in the same school together. I didn't intentionally, but tried to mold her in a way that I felt was "right."
As painful as it was for you to go through the breakup, hopefully you took away this valuable lesson:

While you can gently influence others by setting the example that you'd wish to see them emulate in some way, at the end of the day, you cannot go into any relationship--be it romantic, work, familial, friendship, or just with the world at large--with the notion that you can change the people within in it (other than yourself) into being what you wish that they would become.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:58 PM

71 posts, read 51,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyCar7 View Post
But there's nothing wrong with that. Everything she does reflects upon you. Ultimately, it's your responsibility as a man to guide her.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:04 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,574,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishegas View Post
But there's nothing wrong with that. Everything she does reflects upon you. Ultimately, it's your responsibility as a man to guide her.

Pffft.

Good luck with any man who tried to pull that nonsense with the women in my family.

In a healthy and well-balanced relationship, the people within it help to guide one another.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:08 PM

599 posts, read 264,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishegas View Post
Your definition of a man is more appropriate 30 or more years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships