Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 06:11 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
I would agree with this women mostly hate each other and are in a pissing contest with one another..

I also agree with with trophy thing..In a relationship years ago my girlfriend at the time told me she loves it that all her friends are jealous that she has a Tall handsome boyfriend and wanted to show me off lol..

Texted me years later that she’s married to some short mediocre looking dude that her friends think is ugly and she wishes she had me to show off still lol..I think she divorced him eventually and found a taller better looking dude..
Weren't you just in another thread getting onto people about generalizing men, specifically guys who struggle in dating?

Why are you here agreeing with an equally offensive generalization about women here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I told my wife of 43 years she should write me a book to explain women. Then we could all get rich. No book on the horizon, so I'll take a stab at it.

Imho, women are all in competition with one another. They are always trying to one up each other. Notice that they always care and notice what other women are wearing. Notice that when she comes home she takes off the nice clothes and puts on old stuff. She doesnt dress for her man, its the competition with other women.

This is where keeping up with the Jones comes from. And her man is part of the competition. She is trying to get the best man possible. Remember Carrie on Sex and the city. She was never going to be happy with anyone except Mr. Big. The richest and best of them all.

Kids, car and house are all part of the competition. Now my theory doesnt explain everything, but it explains a lot. This is why women almost always are looking to marry up. They're looking for their trophy. Now lots of women dont participate in this competition, and many drop out after years. These usually lose interest in men altogether. They're happier with a dog or cat. A man would be too much trouble.

Lastly. Love, in most cases, is just selfish lust or greed. I realize this is not a pleasant portrayal of your fellow man, but I think I'm right.
This is completely false in my community and world.

I know a lot of women that have settled down/had babies with guys who literally have nothing. No status, money, or anything. They just have "charisma." Idk what kind of "women" you know. I think you're biased because you mainly associate with other men (specifcally those who complain about this "problem") and not women who are actually out there. Plus you've been married 43 years, so I don't think your assumptions are in tuned with the times today.

I've seen the trophy mentality in quite a few men. Those type so of men want the "baddest B", the fanciest cars, and a lot of money. It's an ego thing for them. So I don't think it's fair that you're casting only women in this box. There's "competition" on both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 06:23 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Harsh truths.....

1. Too many people are broken, and too much broken baggage is brought into relationships!

2. Too many people are unrealistic when it comes to relationships!

To the OP.....work on you, as others have said. And when that special someone comes, you'll be ready.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:33 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
A strange “phenomenon” I’ve noticed is men who are hypnotized by RedPill and Manosphere / mgtow propaganda have a unique common need to site “Carrie from Sex and the City and Mr Big” for a lot of examples of women. As if this is a literary or cinematic staple.

As Ive said before, I never watched Sex and the City. I don’t know any women who have, sure there are some... Funny that these random men who don’t particularly like women, or at least don’t have anything nice to say about the Homogeneous Woman Blob, watch Sex and the City. Why? Or is it just more regurgitated baseless trope, for the Us vs Them movement.

Harsh truth? There are men out there who accidentally insert catch phrases in their conversation, beware. They don’t come right out and tell you they resent women, but it’s eventually revealed. Best to avoid getting involved with them.

Last edited by RbccL; 02-16-2020 at 06:45 PM..

Old 02-17-2020, 11:04 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Harsh truths.....

1. Too many people are broken, and too much broken baggage is brought into relationships!

2. Too many people are unrealistic when it comes to relationships!

To the OP.....work on you, as others have said. And when that special someone comes, you'll be ready.
1. Including me, sadly.

2. That seems to be true.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:25 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Before I got married, my mom told that you have to continue to bring things to the table in your relationship. She said even my wife (fiancee at the time) will have to continue to do the same.

Marriage is work. It isn't easy but it's worth it.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:56 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
A strange “phenomenon” I’ve noticed is men who are hypnotized by RedPill and Manosphere / mgtow propaganda have a unique common need to site “Carrie from Sex and the City and Mr Big” for a lot of examples of women. As if this is a literary or cinematic staple.

As Ive said before, I never watched Sex and the City. I don’t know any women who have, sure there are some... Funny that these random men who don’t particularly like women, or at least don’t have anything nice to say about the Homogeneous Woman Blob, watch Sex and the City. Why? Or is it just more regurgitated baseless trope, for the Us vs Them movement. :
That is hysterical, the idea of a bunch of bitter women-repellers sitting around hate-watching a tv show that ended nearly 2 decades ago so they can bolster their insistence that women are Bad.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:58 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
That is hysterical, the idea of a bunch of bitter women-repellers sitting around hate-watching a tv show that ended nearly 2 decades ago so they can bolster their insistence that women are Bad.
The funniest thing is that these guys insist that SATC "ruined" women somehow? Like women never had brunch and talked about sex or shoes or made terrible puns before this show gave them the idea.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:27 PM

972 posts, read 542,808 times
The image of relationships that mainstream society pumps out is a joke. There might a small number of people who have something approaching that image, but most of the references that young adults have leave them ill-prepared for the reality of what they'll face. To a certain extent, it's that way intentionally.

I liked the effort made by the first couple of seasons of Married at First Sight. Although the semi-arranged marriage concept that they were going for is too much against the grain of what Western society has implanted in us about romantic love, at least they acknowledged the plummeting viability of the unrealistic schlock our cultural pumps out about romantic love.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:56 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The funniest thing is that these guys insist that SATC "ruined" women somehow? Like women never had brunch and talked about sex or shoes or made terrible puns before this show gave them the idea.
IDK any women who ever watched the show, nor who sat around talking about shoes or sex, so it couldn't have "ruined" that many women. If that's what some of those guys are thinking (really??), it's alarming, the lack of common sense and critical-thinking skills that that implies. Or do those guys think their line of "analysis' IS "critical thinking"? Hopefully they're only a tiny minority. Otherwise, society is doomed.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:58 PM

947 posts, read 1,187,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Before I got married, my mom told that you have to continue to bring things to the table in your relationship. She said even my wife (fiancee at the time) will have to continue to do the same.

Marriage is work. It isn't easy but it's worth it.
Mom usually knows best, she’s right! I think anything that stands the test of time requires consistent improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships