Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 02:07 PM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I think the "announcing it" when it's unnecessary is probably what's irritating people the most about this particular situation. Most people who get into a relationship don't feel the need to go on national television and tell the world.
But is this poly family "telling the world" any more than the dozens of straight couples who've also been on House Hunters? That argument's no different than people saying that a gay person who mentions their spouse is "rubbing it in people's faces"--since when is saying that you went to Ikea with your husband this weekend showing off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 02:23 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,736,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Fair enough, but are we talking about a "press tour" or a reality TV show? How many kinds of people have been on reality TV? There are shows about living the gangsta life, the rockstar life, the redneck country life, about people with dwarfism, about hoarders, about people trying to lose weight... You name it.

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of reality TV to begin with, and I don't tend to care when people announce their relationship status on social media either. I scroll on by because I am neither overjoyed for them, nor rolling my eyes in judgment...I just don't care. Hell, how much of social media is even interesting? I'm there for the cat videos.

These people were not ashamed of their life choices, good for them I figure. I bet the TV network paid them to be on the show. And if a TV network offered me money to be on their show, I'd take it. I don't care what strangers think, if they think I'm "seeking attention" or they shake their heads at it...I'm not shy and I like money! lol It's the kind of thing that gets eyeballs and ratings, even if viewers are tuning in for the freakshow factor. Have there been gay couples on that show? I bet there have. The people that make these shows probably have an interest in featuring anything that is even somewhat out of the ordinary, because they figure it'll make for a more interesting show.

And here we are talking about it on the internet, so I'd say that they're right, even if I didn't bother to watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But is this poly family "telling the world" any more than the dozens of straight couples who've also been on House Hunters? That argument's no different than people saying that a gay person who mentions their spouse is "rubbing it in people's faces"--since when is saying that you went to Ikea with your husband this weekend showing off?
You both make fair points. But to clarify the way the OP was written (at least to me) it made it seemed like the producers or even the "throuple" themselves were making it a point to really emphasize the relationship as if to make a statement. Plus I started reading other people's posts that assumed the same thing. So that's mainly why I responded the way I did. (I was typing on my phone and was too lazy to quote what I was responding to lol) I don't watch the show, so I don't really know if either is the case. So I just went off assumption and used that to say what I said. Couples go out and do stuff all the time without annoying the hell out of people. And that was kind of my point (they don't go out of their way to make it known, they just do it,) what I went to describe throughout the rest of my post, was really pertaining to other couples who make their relationship decisions public, then get upset when people don't respond in the way that they want. But I definitely agree with Sonic, that they were probably paid to even do this in the first place.

Last edited by Auraliea; 02-24-2020 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships