Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: kiddo
Friendzone 13 46.43%
Affection Dub 4 14.29%
Feeling uncomfortable with age gap 7 25.00%
Other 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 7,603 times

Advertisements

There's this guy I like. He has implied interest for the last 4-6 months mostly subtle in being extremely helpful, going out of his way, etc. even when busy. Earlier in the week he caught me by serious surprise with some heavy eye contact - maintained for 30-60 seconds - and I'll admit my wide-eyed look probably didn't help.

He called me "kiddo" months ago before this started. Why again?

He's older but I am mature for my age (most people think I'm 40-50s by how I talk/mentally, physically I look my age 30s or younger) so is he feeling uncomfortable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 11:56 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
How is it that you two cross paths so often? Is he a co-worker? If so, it wouldn't be a good idea to get involved.

Maybe to him, "kiddo" is a semi-affectionate expression. But clearly, he doesn't see you as closer to his age; he sees you as significantly younger than him. IMO "kiddo" is patronizing, and a turn-off. I don't have warm and fuzzy feelings for people who call me "kiddo" as I pass into and through middle age.

Maybe it's his clumsy way of flirting. Somebody should tell this type of guy, that most women past college age don't find "kiddo" endearing or particularly respectful.

OTOH, maybe he wants to set you up with his teenage son. LOL!

Old 03-27-2020, 12:29 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGal89 View Post
There's this guy I like. He has implied interest for the last 4-6 months mostly subtle in being extremely helpful, going out of his way, etc. even when busy. Earlier in the week he caught me by serious surprise with some heavy eye contact - maintained for 30-60 seconds - and I'll admit my wide-eyed look probably didn't help.

He's older but I am mature for my age (most people think I'm 40-50s by how I talk/mentally, physically I look my age 30s or younger) so is he feeling uncomfortable?
I don't think he's flirting. 4-6 months is a long time to flirt.

"Kiddo" isn't usually a romantic or flirty term. It's a bit patronizing.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How is it that you two cross paths so often? Is he a co-worker? If so, it wouldn't be a good idea to get involved.

Maybe to him, "kiddo" is a semi-affectionate expression. But clearly, he doesn't see you as closer to his age; he sees you as significantly younger than him. IMO "kiddo" is patronizing, and a turn-off. I don't have warm and fuzzy feelings for people who call me "kiddo" as I pass into and through middle age.

Maybe it's his clumsy way of flirting. Somebody should tell this type of guy, that most women past college age don't find "kiddo" endearing or particularly respectful.

OTOH, maybe he wants to set you up with his teenage son. LOL!
No, not colleagues. Passing friends.

What I bolded is the major issue. Though there's people who see me as older than I am by my talking, more people put me as younger than I am visually.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:42 PM

So are you 31?? How old is he?

Does he work somewhere you frequent?

I think you're trying to read into this because you like him.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
So are you 31?? How old is he?

Does he work somewhere you frequent?

I think you're trying to read into this because you like him.
No, like said, he's given indication he's interested. Particularly earlier in the week.

And no passing friends. You know people I'd hang out with.

Age gap is 12+ years.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:07 PM

52,202 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
No, like said, he's given indication he's interested. Particularly earlier in the week.

And no passing friends. You know people I'd hang out with.

Age gap is 12+ years.
Given that 12 years insisted that big of an age gap I'm not sure what to think. That said I don't know really of any guy that I've know that is around 43 calling women "kiddo", I'm 50 and I wouldn't use that term, not saying that that is true across the board for all people but that term to me isn't something I'd say to a woman that I was interested in and sort of near my age group.

I'd vote friend zone. Sorry if that isn't the response the OP wants to hear.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:30 PM

If he calls you "kiddo," I don't think he's actually romantically interested in you.

A man can see you as interesting to look at and "flirt" with without actually being interested in pursuing you.

The fact that 4-6 months have gone by supports that.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:52 PM

I agree with what you guys are saying to degree. Except 4-6 months is more to get a feel for one another. The last few weeks have been different.

I think it's either as you said he's not interested. Or due to something that happened earlier in the week - two encounters actually between us - he *is* interested he just isn't 100% on my feelings, his feelings and/or feels he shouldn't be due to the age and he's trying the "kiddo" to put distance.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:05 PM

1,238 posts, read 820,917 times
Quote:

I don't understand what your vocabulary has to do with your maturity / stage of life.

"Kiddo" is not a flirtatious pet name, unless he's implying that he likes how much younger you are. Which I would consider waaay creepy but there are differences of opinion on that, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships