Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,001 times

Advertisements

Hi

I think I have a crush on a girl I saw on social media (Twitter), as she seems to have same interests as I do. She lives in the same city as me, but no mutual friends, so she obviously does not know me.

We are both students but not at the same college.

I was thinking of adding her on Twitter but that might make the situation worse as she would think I could be a weirdo/stalking/creepy.

I'd like to get to know her, by meeting her.

How should I approach her without being creepy?

Thank you

Last edited by andrewjones2; 05-31-2020 at 04:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 09:10 AM

1,243 posts, read 821,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjones2 View Post
Hi

I think I have a crush on a girl I saw on social media (Twitter), as she seems to have same interests as I do.
What are these "same interests"? Are they so unusual that you can't meet someone who shares them apart from a stranger on Twitter?

Would you still want to meet her if she had no pictures and you didn't know her appearance?

Do you know whether she is single?

Old 05-31-2020, 12:18 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
You found her on Twitter? Have you tried looking her up on FB? How did you come across her on Twitter?

How to approach a total stranger on social media... IDK, is that really a thing people do? I'm guessing -- not so much, if you don't know how to do it.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:57 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,904 times
It's generally not a good idea to approach a person on social media unless there is an interest you two can bond over. Then, maybe. Some people will get accepting attention because more people like their looks. But otherwise, generally speaking, not a good idea even if with the best intentions.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:14 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
It's generally not a good idea to approach a person on social media unless there is an interest you two can bond over. Then, maybe. Some people will get accepting attention because more people like their looks. But otherwise, generally speaking, not a good idea even if with the best intentions.
What difference does approaching a stranger make whether it be on social media or in person? If some guy wants to approach me in public how is he supposed to know if we have something in common to “bond over” unless we talk? Some of you need to catch up with the times... approaching people on social media is all the rage. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. It’s not 1950 anymore... things change. First you have to make contact, before you can decide if that person is compatible.
OP.... you won’t get anywhere unless you make an attempt. Contact her, ask her a question see if she responds.
Don’t come off as creepy and you won’t be conceived as creepy. I’ve had guys approach me and as long as they were civil and polite I didn’t have an issue....even if I wasn’t interested. We’re not ALL looking to chastise men just because the approaches us whether it be on social media or in person. Nor do we all think that strangers approaching us out of the blue are creeps.

Last edited by Sydney123; 05-31-2020 at 03:48 PM..

Old 05-31-2020, 04:07 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,279,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
What difference does approaching a stranger make whether it be on social media or in person? If some guy wants to approach me in public how is he supposed to know if we have something in common to “bond over” unless we talk? Some of you need to catch up with the times... approaching people on social media is all the rage. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. It’s not 1950 anymore... things change. First you have to make contact, before you can decide if that person is compatible.
OP.... you won’t get anywhere unless you make an attempt. Contact her, ask her a question see if she responds.
Don’t come off as creepy and you won’t be conceived as creepy. I’ve had guys approach me and as long as they were civil and polite I didn’t have an issue....even if I wasn’t interested. We’re not ALL looking to chastise men just because the approaches us whether it be on social media or in person. Nor do we all think that strangers approaching us out of the blue are creeps.
I agree with this. When I was active on social media I got approached a lot, but my creep detector did not go off a lot.

For me to consider a guy creepy, he was doing things like, asking sneaky questions to find out where I lived, like he was planning to hide somewhere to follow me home. Things like "So, what is the closest restaurant to your house?" Then when I asked why he asked that, he said "Because I might take you there some day..." Other creepy things he said and did just gave it a huge context of creepy. The guy was trying to be sneaky and deceitful.

If a guy contacted me to introduce himself, or we had something in common, and began a respectful conversation, I got no creep vibe from that.

The few times my creep detector went off I was correct.

Don't be a creep and you won't be perceived as a creep (in most cases).

That means, you are genuinely interested in her as a person and interested in getting to know her and having her get to know you, with no bad intentions or ulterior motives.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:24 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times
Friend her? Follow her? Message her? Send an emoji? Ask her out? I don’t know.

If I wanted to get to know someone in real life, I’d first reduce my expectations of what might happen. Then I’d do a bit of research to see what the person was all about. Then I’d connect in the most direct but inoffensive way. If the person seemed okay, I’d like some of their whatevers, see if there was any reciprocity, and maybe make a comment or two. If that seemed cool after a few weeks and there was truly common ground, I’d communicate more to see if they might be equally interested.

Just be cool and take your time. Who knows.

In real life, I typically introduce myself to any of my social media friends who I might see in a casual setting. Usually that is productive and not very weird.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:53 AM

534 posts, read 489,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjones2 View Post
Hi

I think I have a crush on a girl I saw on social media (Twitter), as she seems to have same interests as I do. She lives in the same city as me, but no mutual friends, so she obviously does not know me.

We are both students but not at the same college.

I was thinking of adding her on Twitter but that might make the situation worse as she would think I could be a weirdo/stalking/creepy.

I'd like to get to know her, by meeting her.

How should I approach her without being creepy?

Thank you
No answer necessary, as I'm only asking these questions for your own enlightenment about yourself.

When you are sitting on your computer crushing on this girl, are you thinking creepy thoughts?

Are you really wanting to meet her because she has the same interests as you, or because you are really just wanting to be sexual with her? IOW, are you feeling like a creep because you're actually being a creep in your own mind? By pretending to be interested in her interests as a cover for your primary goal?

Women are often very astute in picking up on vibrations from men, and getting more astute all the time. It's just part of survival as a female. You can say all the right things, but if in your thoughts you're in creep mode, that's going to come out. You can't hide it.

I'm not saying you should or should not contact this woman. I'm saying be honest with yourself about what you're trying to achieve, and align with that. And then you won't feel creepy. Be honest with yourself about who you are and what you want, and you'll be attracted to women who share the same vibration.

I wish you the very best!

Old 06-01-2020, 07:11 AM

65 posts, read 42,794 times
OP.

Just send her a message that says something along the lines of "Hi. I noticed we have a few things in common such as ... I would like to get to know you better, but if you say no, I understand and it will be no problem. What do you think?"

What is the worst that can happen? She will say no. For some of your cynics, she will say yes.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:50 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
The OP doesn’t sound like he’s creepy. He’s young and probably not very experienced. Look at all the guys right here are always cautioning men to avoid women in the work place, don’t approach because you WILL be considered a creep. You’ll be charged with sexual harassment, you will be fired, you’ll get pepper sprayed, She’ll punch you in the face.....
I think that a couple of you are are doing exactly the same thing by calling him creepy for merely asking for advice. Would you offer the same if his question was about approaching
someone in person rather than via social media?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships