Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 07:57 AM

1,246 posts, read 825,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
No, I had noticed that she had pictures of a local roller derby league. I actually knew someone that was a team player there...was trying to segway (segue?) into that. But she stopped it there by pointing out how it's a social fax paux to Facebook creep someone's photos from years ago. I knew nothing of such etiquette.

Yeah, so? I didn't even know how old they were. It's on Facebook...so...that's on her. If it creeps you out, then maybe one shouldn't be on social media as it comes with the territory. Oddly enough, I wasn't even a stranger to her anymore at that point such as the post is talking about.

Must be a generational thing to find this unacceptable. Per the original poster, the "approach" appears to be a mine field. lol

I would see these, "How do I do this without appearing creepy..." posts has become the dating narrative/common question when approaching women. "How can I do "this and that" without it coming off as creepy?"
I don't think you did anything "unacceptable" but I can see her point of view. She doesn't know whether you just briefly scrolled through her Facebook history or if you were obsessively ogling her pictures all day, and apparently assumed the worst.

Why didn't you just ask her out on a date, since you had already met in person and had mutual friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 08:00 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Oh the horror of a man scrolling through photos of a woman he finds attractive.
LOL...I know, right?

Old 06-06-2020, 08:21 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Oh the horror of a man scrolling through photos of a woman he finds attractive.
Scroll away, just don't make the mistake of telling her! Of course she understands that you were spending your time digging through years of her FB history and looking for photos to...whatever. Yuck.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:31 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Scroll away, just don't make the mistake of telling her!
Yep. Why not just go ahead and ask her how Aunt Susan enjoyed her Alaskan cruise in 2012?

Instinctively knowing NOT to tell someone you looked at all their FB photos is the kind of thing that separates the successful from those who wonder why they're not successful.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:34 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
LOL...I know, right?
You can "LOL" with other dudes all you want but if you want to date a fairly decent woman this century, you'll listen to other women here.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:36 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yep. Why not just go ahead and ask her how Aunt Susan enjoyed her Alaskan cruise in 2012?

Instinctively knowing NOT to tell someone you looked at all their FB photos is the kind of thing that separates the successful from those who wonder why they're not successful.
Not. Happening.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Depends on the woman. Some didn't make a stink of me looking at their photos and didn't freak out and had been able to have a mature conversation via such an icebreaker. Got her number and a date. No biggies. Some women just aren't uptight as this one.

To the original poster wondering if it's "creepy" or not to do this...bottom line, it depends on the person.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:53 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:

One time I noticed one of her photos of her hobbies and I pointed it out. She said she was creeped out about it because it was pic that was posted a couple of years ago...I wasn't aware of the date, but I was kind of astounded that she would be creeped out about something like that...since you know, you put yourself out there.
Except you can't act like you don't know this behavior is off-putting because some of us had this EXACT conversation with you a year ago:

Quote:
I know, right? I once met a woman at a convention, we added each other on Facebook. I pointed out something in one of her photos from so many years ago. I didn't know when, didn't pay attention to the year.

She said, "Okay , now that's creepy" and I go, "What's creepy?" She says, "The fact that you looked that far back into my gallery, that's called Facebook creepin'"

I guess it's an age thing, because I never heard the term at the time and I was like "Well, you put it out there, so why get creeped out by it?"
In this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rela...king-my-2.html

See, how creepin' can feel creepy? All I did was search your username with the keyword "Facebook." Not a crime, no, but some people think doing that is weird or invasive. That it shows an overeager interest.

When you're meeting people, you can do it all you want, but don't tell people about it.

Quote:

To the original poster wondering if it's "creepy" or not to do this...bottom line, it depends on the person.
Maybe. But it's better to err on the side of caution.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:29 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbiqua View Post
OP.

Just send her a message that says something along the lines of "Hi. I noticed we have a few things in common such as ... I would like to get to know you better, but if you say no, I understand and it will be no problem. What do you think?"

What is the worst that can happen? She will say no. For some of your cynics, she will say yes.
Leave out the part “I would like to get to know you better...” because that will raise all types of alarms in the girl.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Except you can't act like you don't know this behavior is off-putting because some of us had this EXACT conversation with you a year ago:

In this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rela...king-my-2.html

See, how creepin' can feel creepy? All I did was search your username with the keyword "Facebook." Not a crime, no, but some people think doing that is weird or invasive. That it shows an overeager interest.

When you're meeting people, you can do it all you want, but don't tell people about it.
This is just standard operating procedure for you to do this all the time on here, Birdie. lol I'm sure you're used to digging up year old posts on people here to prove some kind of point. Shows you don't have much of a life.

And before you say I don't have a life doing what I did, that would be just an apples and oranges comparison as her pictures were actually readily available on the main FB page in the margins.

Quote:
Maybe. But it's better to err on the side of caution.
Why err? Why not be a risk taker. After all, some women may see it as a sign of confidence...and that in unto itself is attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships