Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 10:09 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times

Advertisements

If his breath smells an hour after using mouthwash it’s a medical problem

Maybe he has halitosis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 10:22 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
I have dated some OCD- chicks who must've gotten side-work as a toothpaste model, so if he is religiously brushing his teeth 2-3 times a day (you learn to do this when you have braces), might be something else.

Aside from the obvious brush & floss & mouthwash routine

chronic bad breath can also be caused by gastrointestinal problems, or infection

in the nose + throat. Maybe his tonsils are going bad? If the ordinary trip to the dentist doesnt

come back with a cavity or gum problem, might be worth a trip to the doctor for his annual exam. Could be simple as GERD, could be unthinkable horror like stomach cancer.

People who are currently on special diets like Keto or low carb or high protein can get weird breath, and people with simply bad diets high in sugar, alcohol, or sticky carbs might also get bad breath.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20350922

Old 06-19-2020, 05:29 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post

At this point, I need to bring it up again but I'm not sure how. The mouthwash isn't working, is there anything that can help? How do I have this conversation in a way that isn't going to make him feel terrible?
You mention mints and mouthwash, but is he brushing and flossing daily?

Apparently guys not brushing regularly is a thing: https://www.gq.com/story/brush-your-teeth-guys

Old 06-21-2020, 02:07 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Another vote for SmartMouth mouthwash. Use before bed and in the morning. Scientifically proven to work.

He also could have dry mouth because saliva washes away bacteria but they thrive in damp, dark conditions. There are gums and mints for that. Even just chewing sugarfree gum or mints gets the saliva flowing.

Another vote for the dentist. Could be gum disease.

Could also be diet. Garlic, onions, spicy food. Unless you like garlic, onions and spicy food, then you both can eat it and smell alike!

Old 06-22-2020, 10:11 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,600,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Hate to sound harsh, but you've already given him one warning, so he should be on constant hand to mouth self smelling out of consideration. He's not, so I'd move on.
Well, there are some people who seem to have an issue no matter what they do. I dated a girl like this. I dealt with it, but some would not. I actually witnessed her floss, brush, brush her tongue, use mouthwash, chew gum constantly, it didn't seem to matter. She was OK for maybe 10 minutes after her brush/floss/rinse routine, then it stunk again.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:29 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Buy him a electric toothbrush waterpik combination , and if that doesn't work ask him to make a appointment for a dentist or medical doctor.

Smelly breath could be a indication and sign of serious medical problems....
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I've also known people who have this problem because of chronic sinus drainage-- is he prone to allergies or sinus issues? Or, is he a mouth breather?
Yup and yup. Medical/dental issue is my first guess.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:30 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
Well, there are some people who seem to have an issue no matter what they do. I dated a girl like this. I dealt with it, but some would not. I actually witnessed her floss, brush, brush her tongue, use mouthwash, chew gum constantly, it didn't seem to matter. She was OK for maybe 10 minutes after her brush/floss/rinse routine, then it stunk again.
For some people it can be something as simple as a tonsil stone. They reek. I took one medication that was known to have a side effect of dry mouth and got them all the time. Gargling with salt water or biotene or an alcohol-free mouthwash for dry mouth can help. Obviously if it is an issue, the person can ask the dentist to check for tonsil stones and dry mouth and ask if medicines might be causing the problem.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:55 PM

1,260 posts, read 943,932 times
Does he brush his tongue? Mouthwash can help kill bad breath, but that recurring bad breath is usually due to either decaying gums or someone not brushing their tongue. Mouthwash will only help so much. I suggest he try brushing his tongue regularly with and actual tongue brush. If that doesn't help he needs to go to the dentist pronto.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:57 PM

1,260 posts, read 943,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I've also known people who have this problem because of chronic sinus drainage-- is he prone to allergies or sinus issues? Or, is he a mouth breather?
This is actually very true. My dad cracked his sinus, and ooooof, his breath stunk for quite some time until it was healed.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:43 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Tell him to brush his teeth, use mouthwash, and floss.

Twice daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships