Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 2,786 times

Advertisements

I am on the rocks with a three year relationship, but the thought of breaking up terrifies me because I am so scared to be alone and to not have him in my daily life. You get so used to speaking on a daily basis and always having someone to tell things to, I can't imagine just losing that. I am scared that while we have had our fair share of problems, there's a chance I never find someone better and that I regret my decision. He's the best partner I've ever had, but it's really the only realistic relationship I've ever been in. I don't think I'll ever be able to decipher if this is "it" for me with no other relationships to compare it to. But I still can't shake the feeling that I'm so scared of being alone again- how do you work through these feelings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 08:47 AM

335 posts, read 187,097 times
You adapt. It's just getting used to the situation. It doesn't happen all at once. I'm actually enjoying the peace and quiet. I can decide to do anything I want and not have to run it by someone. It's awesome.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:07 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
You have to have faith, and guts and optimism.

Right now, you're operating from a state of fear - afraid you'll never find anyone else, etc.

So you need to trust that there is something better out there for you, and you have to have guts to go after it.

But at the base of it all, you have to be happy enough with yourself that you're ok just being by yourself.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:09 AM

793 posts, read 331,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
You adapt. It's just getting used to the situation. It doesn't happen all at once. I'm actually enjoying the peace and quiet. I can decide to do anything I want and not have to run it by someone. It's awesome.
THIS. It takes time. After a 3 year relationship, it could take up to a year to get comfortable. Doesn't mean it will take that long to start feeling better, but it does take time. If you have friends and family to talk to and get together with, it will be easier.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:26 AM

1,260 posts, read 945,273 times
Part of it is you have to learn to love yourself and enjoy your own company. Might sound cliche, but create your own happiness within and you will find that being alone won't be so scary, if at all, if anything it might be fun. I have been single for a long long time, and let me tell you I am as happy as ever. Yes, I would love to find a partner to settle down, and go on dates here and there but looking for a partner that complements me.

If I stay single for the rest of my life I am totally okay and know I will be happy as well. Part of that is I have created a fulfilling life with lots of hobbies and thing that are healthy for my soul. I have about 70 tropical plants in my apartment that I adore and really keep me busy, I write short stories on the side, I do photography as a hobby capturing city scenes and places I travel, I stay active and outdoor, working on starting my own side business, I love cooking different ethnic foods and do a lot of reading. While I can't do it as much due to the pandemic, I also love to travel. To round it out I have worked to make sure the friends I keep are amazing, loyal and loving as well as family.

Guess what? Everything I mentioned above that makes me so happy, are things that I do alone on a constant basis and are not reliant on having a romantic partner. For me being alone or single is not scary, because I have already built such a happy life for myself as is. A romantic partner would just be the icing on the cake. You need to forge that path for yourself.

A really good friend of mine asked me once how is that I can do trips alone. He told me he could never travel alone he would get so lonely. My response was how could I not? Because I love myself and love spending time with myself, I become so present when traveling alone and love the experience rather than wishing or wanting someone to be there. And trust me sometimes traveling with someone else is worse than traveling alone....

If you fear being alone, truly ask yourself why? What is so scary of having a life where I spend time with mostly myself? Ask yourself why that is so scary, because in the end it shouldn't be. Perhaps it's more you are scared of who you are. That's okay but take the steps to change that. Trust me, it will be the greatest gift you will ever receive, moreso than any romantic partner can fulfill. The gift of creating your happiness and not relying on someone else to make you feel less lonely or happy. Having a LTR is something that I think is great, but it should be because you are lonely but rather you have found someone that complements your already fulfilling life.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:33 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
I’m not sure how you can say he’s the best partner you’ve ever had, based on the other post you made with your dissatisfaction and unhappiness in a 3 year LDR.

You need to do the right thing and let him go. You have career and educational goals to pursue which will bring you into contact with so many new people as you mature into a fully formed adult. All you are doing right now is keeping him around because he’s familiar.

It may not seem obvious right now, but in hindsight you’ll wonder why it took you so long to make better choices for yourself. Many of us can relate to that.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:20 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Staring a new chapter in life can be overwhelming. That is very normal.

Talking to him everyday, even if just dating long distance - it gives you some sort of a security blanket.

Once you start law school, things will change drastically anyway. Use this time to focus on your future and make new friends.

You can do it!! Good luck to you!

Old 07-01-2020, 11:39 AM

118 posts, read 55,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
^ Exactly

Old 07-01-2020, 12:19 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
It's all about adjusting and adapting. Something humans are wired to do.

You need to learn that you and only YOU are your strongest resource. It may take time but you need to learn and accept yourself for who you are, BY YOURSELF. It also helps to understand that we cannot control what happens in life or what other people do. Completely surrender to that and embrace it. We can only control ourselves and how we respond to things. It also helps to think about the benefits of being single and independent. Do things that you love and keep your mind busy. You're going to law school so you'll adjust in no time.

Good luck.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:27 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurelawmama View Post
I am on the rocks with a three year relationship, but the thought of breaking up terrifies me because I am so scared to be alone and to not have him in my daily life. You get so used to speaking on a daily basis and always having someone to tell things to, I can't imagine just losing that. I am scared that while we have had our fair share of problems, there's a chance I never find someone better and that I regret my decision. He's the best partner I've ever had, but it's really the only realistic relationship I've ever been in. I don't think I'll ever be able to decipher if this is "it" for me with no other relationships to compare it to. But I still can't shake the feeling that I'm so scared of being alone again- how do you work through these feelings?
Do you have no one else in your life to talk to on the regular?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships