Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 01:22 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is a time to make use of leverage this situation has created. You'll help him (for your mutual benefit) if he'll help you (for your mutual benefit). Tell him you'll help him get his benefits only if he agrees to actively participate in counseling to improve both your lives. Not an ultimatum, a pact. If he doesn't roust himself I'd probably rethink staying with him. You resent him now. How's that going to change for the better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 05:51 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I agree. The OP sounds like they are newlyweds just starting to figure each other out and discovering flaws.

"I can't help because I have financial worries"

I, I, I, I.

If OP cares at all for her husband and her lengthy marriage, she will be a partner to him, help him get his benefits, and gently encourage him in positive ways.

if she is unable to do that, she has no business being in a marriage.

OP was this some sort of arranged or mail-order marriage?
And how is he being a partner to her? Refusing to contribute to the household financially, it sounds like he doesn't make up for it by doing the housework, expects OP to cater to him as if he's an incompetent child, refuses to get help for whatever mental-health issue he's having (which probably also manifests in other unpleasant ways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Op, men had and continue to be expected to provide for the wife. Imagine how they must of felt holding that task to the flame. You are now getting a taste of that inequality. Good news is that when the world flipped it's lid and created this equality....suddenly the kept spouse had to step up.
Your spouse is mimicking what had been more or less a role for the lady of the house.
As much as marriage is team encouraged. He is separately an adult. He needs to be that first. If he can read he can apply.
Where did OP say they were "the kept spouse"? I see no indication that they hadn't had a job previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I think you sound very selfish, you need to put yourself in his shoes.
Sounds like he's in a pretty deep depression.

Should you help him ?
Would you want or expect him to help you if roles were reversed?

Depends if you meant it when you said "for better or for worse".
If you're only in it for the better then it sounds like he picked the wrong woman
If he is depressed then he needs to see someone. Which he refuses to do. If he persists in *creating* and perpetuating the "worse" then it sounds like OP picked the wrong man.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:01 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
If he is depressed then he needs to see someone. Which he refuses to do. If he persists in *creating* and perpetuating the "worse" then it sounds like OP picked the wrong man.
I can tell you have never dealt with a loved one with clinical depression.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:23 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
And how is he being a partner to her? Refusing to contribute to the household financially, it sounds like he doesn't make up for it by doing the housework, expects OP to cater to him as if he's an incompetent child, refuses to get help for whatever mental-health issue he's having (which probably also manifests in other unpleasant ways).

Where did OP say they were "the kept spouse"? I see no indication that they hadn't had a job previously.

Amen.

This man has hardly worked in TEN YEARS!!!!! And people here are destroying the OP???? What the?

Old 07-10-2020, 07:57 PM

335 posts, read 187,176 times
Fill out the paperwork and then decide if you want to continue. Tell him he needs to work on his issues. I would expect, therapy and a part time job in order to continue with this relationship. If you fill out the paperwork then he can at least pay for some expenses. I would say- you either deal with your depression with me and my help, or you are going to have to deal with it on your own.

OP, letting it go 10 years falls on you. Either do something or just commit to taking care of this man for the rest of his life without complaint. You can't complain if you allow it.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:00 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I can tell you have never dealt with a loved one with clinical depression.
I can tell you're wrong.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:26 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,866,838 times
Will it be a benefit to you if he is getting benefits? Will it provide some financial relief? If so, swallow your anger and frustration and help him apply. Or find a friend or relative willing to help him with the paperwork. And then seriously think about whether or not you want to stay married. Is there anything you like about your husband?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships