Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:05 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,988 times

Advertisements

I might be in the minority, but I do not particularly want a guy to pay for me. It's just weird. Why should he? Because he has a different chromosome?

And it sets up this strange dynamic, like I'm being "wooed" or "won over". I don't want to be won over. You shouldn't have to convince me - if you are a great guy, I'll like you, simple as that.

50/50 is fine with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 01:32 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times
I think a guy should always pay, no it doesn't have to be an extravagant date and no I'm not a gold digger. All I've ever wanted is a down to earth genuine guy who is respectful. I think it's wrong when a guy asks a girl to pay. My last boyfriend was so cheap, sometimes he would expect me to pay and he made alot more money than me too. I got rid of him for a few reasons.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:57 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
These days there really are no rules. It is what ever you make it to be.
As long as both have no problems either splitting 50/50 or not, if it works, do it; don't worry about what everyone else does.

Dinner - he makes more, he usually pays. I make less, leave the tip.
There are times where I say I am taking him out, say his birthday, I pay. He keeps trying to shove money in my face, we agree he can leave the tip.

If a woman makes more then the man, no big deal for her to pay. We are not living in the 60's or 70's.

I know older couples that split the tab and feel weird about it, but hey, that's how it is these days if you have the same income.

You then start living together. He still makes more. I don't think splitting bills 50/50 is the way it should be. I used to pay for things like food shopping, which these days equals rent, walmart trips.

Last edited by Roselvr; 05-05-2008 at 04:07 AM..

Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
how do you guys manage dating costs? I realize that the expectation is for the guy to pick up the full tab of the 1st or 2nd date but how does it go after that? What happens if the woman doesn't contribute even after the 3rd or 4th date? What if the woman is unemployed or has a much lower paying job?

Given that dating represents quite an expensive investment for a guy what criteria do you use to ask only those women who are truly interested in you?
I had to interject here, even though it's a question for the guys. I thought I'd give my perspective. I never felt the man was obligated to pay, every single date I ever went on when I was single, I'd drive myself and bring my own money - I'd always offer to pay at least my half. I never got taken up on it but I wanted to do that anyway. Personally speaking, with women making more money these days, why is the onus still on the man to pay? I think more women when dating should offer to pay, even if the guy says no and even if you know he's going to say no, I think a girl should offer. I'm with you on the expense, it is expensive to be single and date when you are the man. So, why not - in these modern times be a good date and help a guy out!
Just a girls opinion.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:20 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
What, is this the 1930's? Do guys court women anymore? When I date I am looking for a good time and potential girlfriend--not a wife. I could care less if she thinks that I could provide for her or not. I am not a sugar daddy.
I told him that someone would say that! LOL..

My opinion on it is if a guy ask a girl out on a date, then why should she be expected to pay half, or even for dessert? Geeezz..
If your worried about spending too much money,take her to Mcdonalds.
If I was to ask a guy out though, then I would offer to pay, but I would also hope that he would offer to pay his half..out of respect.. even though I wouldn`t take it.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
If I was to ask a guy out though, then I would offer to pay, but I would also hope that he would offer to pay his half..out of respect.. even though I wouldn`t take it.
This comment made me look up.. respect to what? If you asked him out on the date.. pay for it.. has nothing to do with respect. Are you saying because you are a woman we should respect you and pay for you?

My line is this.. if I go out with someone I normally pay for all of it... nothing to do with respect nothing to do with anything.. thats the way I roll. Very few times has any woman paid for me on any date. There have been plenty that offered to pay half but I have yet to let them pay half. It is more about the age of when I was brought up then how men are brought up now a days. The older generation is more apt to pay for all of it and the younger generation having a different mind set will try to get the woman to pay for half or all of it.. depending on who asked who out...

To me there is nothing wrong in either situation..

Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
This comment made me look up.. respect to what? If you asked him out on the date.. pay for it.. has nothing to do with respect. Are you saying because you are a woman we should respect you and pay for you?

My line is this.. if I go out with someone I normally pay for all of it... nothing to do with respect nothing to do with anything.. thats the way I roll. Very few times has any woman paid for me on any date. There have been plenty that offered to pay half but I have yet to let them pay half.
Those "plenty" that offered to pay half..wasn`t it a nice gesture on their part though?
You didn`t "respect" them for at least offering to pay half? Are you saying that you don`t respect the women that you take out on a date?
No. I didn`t say because I am a woman that you should respect me, and pay for me.
I said...."It would be a nice gesture, if they OFFERED to pay half, even though I would NOT take it." It all boils down to showing respect for the other party...something that todays society has forgotton about.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
I always accepted graciously when a woman offered to pay.

It was a different story though the next morning when they asked for a refund.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 AM

36 posts, read 119,407 times
Most women think you should always pay. Very few will help out.

1st-2nd date take her out, 3rd cook her something. And by then you should be able to tell if she's worth any more money spent, or cut your loss and move to the next.
Dating is just like gambling. You put the money out there hoping for a return.
Because of the world today, the more money you have, the easier it is to date.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:45 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post

My line is this.. if I go out with someone I normally pay for all of it... nothing to do with respect nothing to do with anything.. thats the way I roll. Very few times has any woman paid for me on any date. There have been plenty that offered to pay half but I have yet to let them pay half. It is more about the age of when I was brought up then how men are brought up now a days. The older generation is more apt to pay for all of it and the younger generation having a different mind set will try to get the woman to pay for half or all of it.. depending on who asked who out...

To me there is nothing wrong in either situation..

RESPECT: An act of giving particular attention : CONSIDERATION

Do you get it now? I'm pretty sure this is what Yankeegirl meant by that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships