Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 09:18 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times

Advertisements

I am 30 years old and prefer to date women 25-30 years old. I would not date a woman over 35 years old as I am looking to have 2-3 children (biological). I know women can have children into their 50s but generally the risks go up significantly for women in their 40s, though I should note I have a cousin who had two healthy girls at 42 and 44 years old.

I have dated two women who were 3 and 9 years older than me and ultimately it just didn't work as we were at different places in our lives. I would like to find my wife in the next 5 years but would be okay having my first child by the time I am 40. Also, I should note people in my family live long and healthy lives so having a child in college when I am in my 60s is not an issue as people in my family don't generally retire until we are in our mid 80s.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 09:28 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I have dated two women who were 3 and 9 years older than me and ultimately it just didn't work as we were at different places in our lives.
Even though I haven't and don't pay attention to it as it is too late to fix my ways now, I have to agree with you. When a big age difference is present, people are at different places in their lives and this fact does contribute to additional problems others don't encounter.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:33 AM

218 posts, read 606,251 times
To answer the question in the title, I think that, generally speaking, women are more mature than men, especially in that 20 to late 30 age range and if we're talking about a substantial relationship and not just a fling. It's a sweeping generality but that's my observation.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:51 AM

681 posts, read 2,877,913 times
I think there are two big reasons: 1) societal pressure, 2) biological clock.

For that first one, I give you this: I had a friend who was almost 15 years older than me (I was 23 and she was 38). We were just friends, but the age gap embarrassed her even though we were only friends. Do you think it would be the same thing in the reverse case... a 38-year-old man being embarrassed about having a 23-year-old female friend? Society says it's better for the man to be older. Who knows. I say that age is just a number, in the end. You're only as old as you feel.

For the second one, you have to figure that women aren't considered especially viable for bearing children after age 40. I know it happens, but 40 is considered by most women to be the magic barrier beyond which it's physiologically unwise to try to bear children. As such, women start wanting children when they're quite young. A woman who is in her upper 20s or early 30s and doesn't have children yet probably wants them and wants them SOON... so, if she were to hook up with a much younger man, he'd be likely to feel the pressure to become a daddy soon. Men generally seem not to like that. Heaven knows, I'm 28 and I still feel too young to be a daddy... thankfully, my wife is only 23 so she isn't pressuring me for kids yet.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 AM

53 posts, read 157,303 times
i personally like older men. i don't know why tho.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:41 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,966,551 times
I think the answer is that guys tend to be less mature when they're younger. A relationship with the man about 3-4 years older, they both tend to be at about the same level.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:45 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I think the answer is that guys tend to be less mature when they're younger. A relationship with the man about 3-4 years older, they both tend to be at about the same level.
I don't even necessarily think that the maturity factor ends as they get older. To answer the question, I, too, think it's a maturity factor. Of course there's always the exception. But as a whole women mature faster then men.

While women in their mid-late 20's are getting their careers and lives together, many man (although trying to accomplish the same) are still out dating like crazy. I married a woman 5 years older than me, and we were married for about 14 years. Problem was, when I finally got divorced (3 years ago), I realized that I felt as if I were 5 years older than her!!

So, women keep us old guys (I'm 43) young, and we give them more maturity and security than guys their age.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:15 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
I had one who was my age, but he was a big momma's boy, so I gave him back.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Men are usually older than women because it takes them longer to find women than it takes women to find men.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:12 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I have dated two women who were 3 and 9 years older than me and ultimately it just didn't work as we were at different places in our lives.
That might have been the case for you personally, but people shouldn't necessarily extrapolate that idea to cover THEIR relationships. Why?

How can you be sure that a mere 3 or 9 years denotes "different places"? Did I miss the memo on The Official Time-Line of Human Development?

The only "different places" you can be SURE you're both at is chronological age. Other than that, I fail to see the logic behind that argument...I've been with far older women and been exactly where they were at - mentally, emotionally and spiritually; the same also occurred with far younger partners. Yes, there were a few times when we were out of synch, but careful "screening" seemed to eliminate most of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships