Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 05:05 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,266,063 times

Advertisements

My partner and I at a gathering at our friends house. So most people in this circle of friends are close to my age within five or so years. But friends and neighbors of all ages start joining in.

My partner is the friendliest guy. He'll talk to anybody within a day of meeting him most people are friends with him. He's not a social butterfly but he's the kind of person most people feel at ease with right away. People say he's a bit effeminate, I get why they say that, but it doesn't come off that way to me.

Well at this party we were all gathered in my friends kitchen and one of my friends guests makes a comment about my partner being a girl. Partner doesn't react so I keep my cool he says something again to that effect a few min later. His comments are falling flat nobody finds it funny but him. So I'm a bit agitated but I know I can be a bit defensive when it isn't necessary and I know partner wouldn't want me to confront him over it. So I let it go again.

The rest of the evening went on without event but after I put some space between it I really got to thinking why is it that some guys are bothered by less masculine men. I've never encountered this from women.

Is anybody here bothered by this(by which I mean less masculine men, not flirting or even anything suggestive), no judgments, does anybody know? We're any people here bothered by this in the past? Any women find it bothersome but simply to polite to say anything in the presence of others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 06:23 AM

1,483 posts, read 694,025 times
As one of those "ooey icky less-masculine" males, I find it actually hilarious that so-called "man's-men" are 'threatened' by males of my 'bent'. Perhaps it is a massive insecurity on their part... or perhaps, just perhaps, it may be that *they* are not as 'masc' as they think they are and it triggers them somehow into overcompensating in some way.

Always been curious about this one myself, may want to have this put in the Psych section, good topic.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:28 AM

760 posts, read 425,834 times
Lots of insecure men in the world. Ignore them. Go about your life and be happy, it's the easiest and most fun to get back at them.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:02 AM

62,321 posts, read 88,248,980 times
Yeah, I don't get the obsession with manly men. The moment a man wear pastel shirts, or longer hair, or trendy clothes, or cross the legs when sitting - he became less masculine and less of a man. It's weird and I think, it's cultural thing. It has a lot to do with self esteem too.

“Feminine-acting men are seen as less desirable sexual partners.” ??
https://www.them.us/story/gay-men-ma...-mental-health

Old 09-10-2021, 08:05 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,125,312 times
he called your male partner a girl?

Old 09-10-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
he called your male partner a girl?
No it wasn't that it's that he kept bringing it up. He was making derogatory comments. I've seen guys almost come to blows when someone makes a derogatory comment about their partner I didn't even say anything.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
As one of those "ooey icky less-masculine" males, I find it actually hilarious that so-called "man's-men" are 'threatened' by males of my 'bent'. Perhaps it is a massive insecurity on their part... or perhaps, just perhaps, it may be that *they* are not as 'masc' as they think they are and it triggers them somehow into overcompensating in some way.

Always been curious about this one myself, may want to have this put in the Psych section, good topic.
I was trying to figure out where to put this and maybe the psych section is better.

I've always been very masculine guy even when I was a boy. It was quite common even when I cross straight guys that weren't as masculine as me in the traditional sense of the words so I never really thought anything about it. Maybe that's why I don't see that in him I don't care.

Old 09-11-2021, 06:39 AM

11,431 posts, read 24,568,997 times
Sounds like the offending person was being a total jerk. People have prejudices and bad manners. You did well to contain your anger.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:29 AM

29,807 posts, read 34,655,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah, I don't get the obsession with manly men. The moment a man wear pastel shirts, or longer hair, or trendy clothes, or cross the legs when sitting - he became less masculine and less of a man. It's weird and I think, it's cultural thing. It has a lot to do with self esteem too.

“Feminine-acting men are seen as less desirable sexual partners.” ??
https://www.them.us/story/gay-men-ma...-mental-health
And it's just garden variety sexism. Women are lesser people, so men who "act like women" (whatever that means) are lesser as well.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:09 AM

4,085 posts, read 3,377,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And it's just garden variety sexism. Women are lesser people, so men who "act like women" (whatever that means) are lesser as well.
In this particular case with the OP, I think the issue here is garden variety homophobia. You have a bully hoping to make gay men uncomfortable and he was looking for a vulnerability to attack. A more effiminate gay man is just a more prominent target so that is why he went after him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships