Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 09:40 AM

255 posts, read 149,873 times

Advertisements

Would deleting an ex off social media deter them from contacting you again?

Had an ex who would reach out to me every 2-3 months. I would usually respond and a few times we actually would meet up. He would always tell me he missed and still loved me and then would just break up with me again. The last time this happened was a few months ago and a few days after meeting up with him I texted him and told him not to contact me again and that I was done. I then deleted him off my social media, have not heard from him since so I’m thinking it worked! But then part of me still thinks I haven’t heard the last of him, but that might just be because I have become so used to this crazy cycle with him. Would the deletion off social media deter you guys from contacting an ex again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 09:49 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,557,237 times
It would deter people who understand what a great, big hint deletion is.

However, it is always best to do what you did, which is to tell the person not to contact you again. Not everyone is so adept at understanding or taking hints, so being clear and direct is the most effective.

Certain platforms allow people who are not friends or followers to send messages, though the messages go into a different folder, have to be approved, etc. If he shows up there or contacts you again, I would suggest blocking him entirely both on social media and your phone.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:18 AM

200 posts, read 102,607 times
I no longer use any of the usual social media sites or apps, but after a breakup I always blocked my exes profiles. If nothing else, it really forced me to hold onto no contact and to avoid the temptation of trying to keep tabs on them. I even would tell mutual friends they were never to tell me of any news of my exes. It may seem harsh, but it really does help with moving on. It's like they cease to exist, at least in my world. I know that's not always feasible, especially between ex spouses, but I can't emphasize enough the power of no contact in moving on.

Last edited by LaKings55; 09-13-2021 at 11:36 AM..

Old 09-13-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaKings55 View Post
I no longer use any of the usual social media sites or apps, but after a breakup I always blocked my exes profiles. If nothing else, it really forced me to hold onto no contact and to avoid the temptation of trying to keep tabs on them. I even would tell mutual friends they were never to tell me of any news of my exes. It may seem harsh, but it really does help with moving on. It's like they cease to exist, at least in my world. I know that's not always feasible, especially between ex spouses.
Luckily we do not really have any mutual friends, the only issue is we live in the same neighborhood but fortunately it’s a big city and I have been able to avoid accidentally bumping into him thus far. Although I did see him walking out of a store a few weeks ago, he didn’t see me and I just sped up walking in order to avoid him lol.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpgal View Post
Luckily we do not really have any mutual friends, the only issue is we live in the same neighborhood but fortunately it’s a big city and I have been able to avoid accidentally bumping into him thus far. Although I did see him walking out of a store a few weeks ago, he didn’t see me and I just sped up walking in order to avoid him lol.

Ha, that's happened to me a couple times. At a red light I looked over and saw an ex right next to me. I'm sure she saw me too, but we both just stared straight ahead. I also ran into another one at a library. That was fine too, just the usual pleasantries.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:01 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,839,178 times
I think it depends on if this is the type of guy who would respect your boundaries or not.

Also I don't know that if someone really wants to contact you that a deletion off social media would help, however if the only reason he had been contacting you was because you popped up on his newsfeed from time to time then it will probably work.

You did tell him to not to contact you again though, which that alone should probably work better than the social media thing. Although some people might think you just said that in the heat of the moment and didn't really mean it. I guess my point is, a person can rationalize anything they want, so if he really wants to get in touch with you again I don't think deleting him off social media or sending him a text to stop contacting you would work. The only thing that would be foolproof is straight up blocking his number and any other forms of contact he may attempt.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:03 PM

161 posts, read 127,577 times
Social media is just a small part of the problem.

This. This right here is the largest part of the problem
Quote:
Had an ex who would reach out to me every 2-3 months. I would usually respond and a few times we actually would meet up.
You are aware you don't need to respond? You don't find meeting with him a possible cause of more contact from him? Stop responding. Stop meeting him. I'll bet that changes things.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:08 PM

1,483 posts, read 694,025 times
Once an 'X', ALWAYS an 'X'. None of this 'meeting-up' garbage allowed.

Total 'NC' is the ONLY way to go!

Old 09-13-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma Male View Post
Social media is just a small part of the problem.

This. This right here is the largest part of the problem

You are aware you don't need to respond? You don't find meeting with him a possible cause of more contact from him? Stop responding. Stop meeting him. I'll bet that changes things.
I agree 100%. The breakup before the last one we ended on a friendly note, then he reached out when my pet passed away to make sure I was ok, then a few months after that is when he messaged me Checking in on me again and I felt guilty not responding. Once I responded and we went back and forth in text he called with the excuse of it’s easier to talk on the phone rather than text. He’s a good talker, and basically talked me into going to dinner with him. I gave because I still have feelings for him, I guess that’s why I rather just not hear from him so that I’m not put into this situation again. If he ever does message me again, I just have to be strong and not respond.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:46 PM

I would also add that phone numbers should be blocked. The exception would be if this was an ex spouse and you were sharing custody of children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships