Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 06:06 AM

1,593 posts, read 781,198 times

Advertisements

Pretty much what it says on the title. I think back on all the times I’ve swung on “polite and friendly” or just outright developed feelings for a friend, tainting the friendship. I threw a potential friendship away this summer doing just that. It makes me wonder, what does this look like from the other side? Do people get exasperated when they feel like they can’t act in a friendly fashion without provoking interest? I wonder how common it is that people feel the need to change how they interact with someone so that the person doesn’t get “the wrong idea”? Changed how friendly they were being with a stranger, or maybe how close they were to a friend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 07:41 AM

3,019 posts, read 1,699,036 times
Girls in their twenties can't afford to be too friendly. This age group is the time in a woman's life when she'll be the most attractive to men.

Young adulthood and peak fertility are attributes men react to on a primal level. It's in the species to reproduce, even if that's not the acknowledged goal. It's still there.

While women can be attractive well into their forties, after thirty that overwhelming interest from men slowly fades.

I worked with some knockout girls back in my waitress/bartending days. Men flocked like bees to honey.

Almost all these women acquired a friendly but cool reaction to men more for self preservation than anything else. Men had a lot of confidence back in that day and approaches were constant in the semi tropical resort town where we worked and played hard.

If you're referring to women above the age of forty though, by that time most women have learned how to gently and kindly let a man know her interest level in subtle ways.

I've never bought into the idea that one person expressing romantic interest in a friend will "ruin" the friendship. If it does there wasn't much friendship there to begin with.

Might be a little awkward, human interaction can become awkward at any moment. Adults take these things in stride.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:38 AM

102,323 posts, read 108,528,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Girls in their twenties can't afford to be too friendly. This age group is the time in a woman's life when she'll be the most attractive to men.

Young adulthood and peak fertility are attributes men react to on a primal level. It's in the species to reproduce, even if that's not the acknowledged goal. It's still there.

While women can be attractive well into their forties, after thirty that overwhelming interest from men slowly fades.

I worked with some knockout girls back in my waitress/bartending days. Men flocked like bees to honey.

Almost all these women acquired a friendly but cool reaction to men more for self preservation than anything else. Men had a lot of confidence back in that day and approaches were constant in the semi tropical resort town where we worked and played hard.

If you're referring to women above the age of forty though, by that time most women have learned how to gently and kindly let a man know her interest level in subtle ways.

I've never bought into the idea that one person expressing romantic interest in a friend will "ruin" the friendship. If it does there wasn't much friendship there to begin with.

Might be a little awkward, human interaction can become awkward at any moment. Adults take these things in stride.
Men flocked to them because they were knockouts, not just because they were in their 20's. Men flock to knock-outs at almost any age, while the plain Jane 20-somethings tend to go unnoticed. Youth by itself isn't an attractant. There needs to be more there, than just that.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:42 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,980,420 times
Yes. I think it happens a lot because we don't want to hurt the other persons feelings.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:59 AM

3,019 posts, read 1,699,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Men flocked to them because they were knockouts, not just because they were in their 20's. Men flock to knock-outs at almost any age, while the plain Jane 20-somethings tend to go unnoticed. Youth by itself isn't an attractant. There needs to be more there, than just that.
Plain-jane twenty year olds will still attract more bees than plain-jane forty year olds.

Youth is an aphrodisiac for most bees

Old 11-19-2021, 10:16 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,366,674 times
Anyone else hear a buzzing sound

Old 11-19-2021, 10:24 AM

20,778 posts, read 20,078,523 times
yes, I treat guys who potentially be thinking I am coming on to them completely different than others. I am less funny, more reserved and hold back. With older men for example, like really much older men I am more smiley and open because there is no danger they take it the wrong way.

When I worked at BMW and worked with 100 guys and 4 women, I usually joked around with the guys who were close to retirement.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:39 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,114,134 times
I'm the same with everyone. I'm very talkative and joke around a lot, usually as a defensive tactic to keep people at a distance so they don't get too curious about the 'real' me. I've been doing it so long I have no idea who that is any more.

As far as I can tell, this has sparked no interest from anyone. Just as well because I can't turn it off. I yam whats I yam.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:39 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,820,558 times
"Fear"?

Are you really afraid? Why such drama around a simple human interaction?

So what if someone has a thought that might be inaccurate. What's to be afraid of? It seems you try very hard to read and control other people's thoughts because you fear those thoughts. It must be an exhausting way to live life.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:46 AM

4,382 posts, read 2,295,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
Pretty much what it says on the title. I think back on all the times I’ve swung on “polite and friendly” or just outright developed feelings for a friend, tainting the friendship. I threw a potential friendship away this summer doing just that. It makes me wonder, what does this look like from the other side? Do people get exasperated when they feel like they can’t act in a friendly fashion without provoking interest? I wonder how common it is that people feel the need to change how they interact with someone so that the person doesn’t get “the wrong idea”? Changed how friendly they were being with a stranger, or maybe how close they were to a friend?
For some reason I tend to subconsciously give off flirty vibes. This is something I've gradually concluded over time, when I noticed a pattern that wives of men I thought I was just casually conversing with, often as part of my job no less, seemed to get really hostile out of nowhere and acting like they thought I was hitting on their man!

I never really gave it much thought before though if a man might think I liked him. I would sometimes get asked out and be surprised, because I didn't think I was giving out those signals. Id politely just say Im already in a relationship.

So maybe Im an opposite situation of what you are asking. I tend to be oblivious to signals of sexual availability that I might subconsciously send out (even if not sexually available).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships