Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 06:31 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raluxx View Post
I certainly think he will put the work on me, because of his family he has some pretty conservative ideas but I talked him out of some but just a bit. But other than that he is really great, loving, caring and a good guy overall. Except for some parts like this and a jealousy issue but other than that we get along great.
If his family has some "conservative ideas," would that not mean that *he* would be at, the very least, bringing home a decent income for the family as well as doing his fair share of work that needs to be done rather than dumping all of the work on you?

The "excepts" that you mention are huge ones that must be either accepted or resolved if you two wish to form a solid and content permanent relationship. Love does not conquer all.

Taking into consideration all that you've shared thus far, I think that this young man is inadvertently doing you a huge favor by choosing to not move in with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 08:10 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
You do not move in with anyone until marriage. I staunchly oppose cohabitation. I always speak out against it.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:05 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Yep, he is. My parents are worried I am paying for his part as well and he is using me or something but I am not worried about that part since I know he really loves me. He is just stingy/cheap unfortunately... he takes that from his dad
I think your parents are right.

You want this relationship to work more than he does.

I'm sorry to say this, but I think you should move on.

I know you don't want to hear that, but good advice is often hard to take.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I certainly think he will put the work on me, because of his family he has some pretty conservative ideas but I talked him out of some but just a bit. But other than that he is really great, loving, caring and a good guy overall. Except for some parts like this and a jealousy issue but other than that we get along great.
If he really is stingy, him being great, loving, caring, etc. in other ways will not carry the relationship. It simply won't be enough. You'll resent him for being stingy and the feelings of love and caring will fall away. Not good.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:11 PM

1,085 posts, read 691,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
You do not move in with anyone until marriage. I staunchly oppose cohabitation. I always speak out against it.
Well. The 1920’s called. They want their scrolls back.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Well. The 1920’s called. They want their scrolls back.
There's plenty of secular research supporting the idea that living together before marriage doesn't work particularly well. Just because lots of people are doing it doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do:

https://mercatornet.com/living-toget...nt-work/23763/

Old 12-19-2021, 06:40 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
You've just been given a preview of what the rest of your life will be like if you marry this guy. I predict arguments over money in your future. Red flag No1. He also seems reluctant to commit. Red flag No2. You wanna ignore the first two and wait for Red flag No3 ? Dump the bum and find a real man.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:04 PM

1,085 posts, read 691,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
There's plenty of secular research supporting the idea that living together before marriage doesn't work particularly well. Just because lots of people are doing it doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do:

https://mercatornet.com/living-toget...nt-work/23763/
There’s competing research that points that the marriage would have failed anyway. We could sit here and trade links all day. OP is in the wind, so it’s a waste.

Personally, I’m never getting married again, so I have no dog in the hunt. My girl and I are just fine the way we are.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
There’s competing research that points that the marriage would have failed anyway. We could sit here and trade links all day. OP is in the wind, so it’s a waste.

Personally, I’m never getting married again, so I have no dog in the hunt. My girl and I are just fine the way we are.
Oh, I do think you have a dog in the hunt. You sound bitter. And it bleeds into the advice you give and the assumptions you make (like assuming he's paying 20% of her living expenses, when it's much more likely he's only paying for 20% of the cost of dates).

Old 12-19-2021, 07:51 PM

160 posts, read 125,516 times
As I read through all the comments, I can't help but wonder. If you flipped the genders to this story would all the cheapskate comments, or my favorite of if he loved you more, He would pay. On and on. Would all those comments remain? I really doubt that.

When a man drops his antiquated gender role, a bunch of people can get pretty mean about it. I guess gender role liberation is a female only thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships