Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 08:37 AM

9,479 posts, read 10,836,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Not a chance, I never would have visited with a charlatan.
I agree....I know what the Bible says about these types of fortune tellers. Anyone who actually has any ability to see the future is not getting it from anywhere good. I met my wife when I was young without the help of a fortune teller. I believe it was God who put her into my life.

I bet this fortune teller poisoned this woman’s mind and made her truly believe she would not meet her soulmate until she was 65. Did this make her turn away from potential suitors in her prime? When she eventually married did it make her question whether her husband was “the one”?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 08:51 AM

20,424 posts, read 14,740,820 times
I am not into prognostications of the future by woo woo types. The extent to which I entertain the notion of astrology is in vague semi-generalizations about zodiac signs, and even then it's with like...not a grain, but a shaker of salt. I can acknowledge that the stuff gives me very mild biases but always wait for more information before forming real opinions of anybody. It is, before all else, basically just entertainment for me.

So that part? No.

As for soul mates... Set aside the metaphysical bit because I don't buy that either. Talking just about people who are so compatible that they can form a happy, healthy long term loving relationship, and they have reciprocal love for one another where each is keeping pace...no one declares love so soon that it spooks the other, no situation of one being in love and the other being "meh" whether they settle or they leave... No imbalance in investment or power due to unequal feelings...

I think that there are a lot of "normal" people in the world who have the potential to find this with larger possible numbers of other "normal" people around them. They had generally happy, "normal" childhoods, have "normal" interests, are happy with "vanilla" sex, aspire to have a little house in the burbs and a dog and have some kids, grandkids, die...normal life expectations, just...average, normal everything more or less, with no wild fringe factors involved, and they're happy to find another average person and to form a contented life.

For them, the odds are probably as good as it gets. Because if something is "normal" then by definition, it's common. In theory.

But if who you are or what you want or need, is anything else, then finding a really good match for life might be harder. Might even feel a bit "needle in a haystack." I would not call it "soul mates" but even reciprocal invested love feelings has been a rare thing in my experience. But I've also theorized that part of my problem was moving too fast. Not just having sex too fast, but just...whatever was happening, it was happening too quickly. I think that it was probably a better strategy the way that my Great Aunt conducted her dating life back in the 40s/50s. She had multiple boyfriends, but what did that mean? It did not mean any speedy presumption to sex, or even physical intimacy beyond maybe holding hands, there was also no presumption to commitment, exclusivity, or seriousness for some time. It was just boys and girls getting to know each other by going out on dates. Only eventually if it became a "going steady" situation was there that exclusivity, and sex was not happening until at least engagement if not marriage.

I was stunned to hear about MIDDLE SCHOOL KIDS getting possessive when "their boyfriend/girlfriend" so much as talked to another person of the opposite gender in a school hallway. If teens in high school having sex is perhaps disturbing, this bothered me even more! Practicing that intensely jealous stuff at age 12??? For real? So anyhow, I think that maybe everybody needs to chill out and slow down. Both of my sons talk about wanting to be married, wanting to have a serious relationship and I'm just like...what on earth is your rush? I wonder if it's a response to generally feeling insecure about life. But anyways. Soul mate translated to practical reality is just a good, happy, healthy match and like a lot of things I think it might just work better if you don't try too hard to force it to happen before it's ready to happen.

Thankfully most of us won't have to wait until we're seniors.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:20 AM

6,988 posts, read 6,912,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree....I know what the Bible says about these types of fortune tellers. Anyone who actually has any ability to see the future is not getting it from anywhere good. I met my wife when I was young without the help of a fortune teller. I believe it was God who put her into my life.

I bet this fortune teller poisoned this woman’s mind and made her truly believe she would not meet her soulmate until she was 65. Did this make her turn away from potential suitors in her prime? When she eventually married did it make her question whether her husband was “the one”?
In your mind, how do you resolve the predictions in the Bible then? And, there are a number of them too. I dont understand how you can make such a comment.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:59 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

I had a completely different impression. It's entirely possible, likely even, that she visited an astrologer just on a lark, and found out later in life, that the prediction had become true. You're reading all kinds of things into this story.

And you know, it's a funny thing about clairvoyants and healers; many of them say their gifts come from a Divine source. This view keeps them humble.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:38 AM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I had a completely different impression. It's entirely possible, likely even, that she visited an astrologer just on a lark, and found out later in life, that the prediction had become true. You're reading all kinds of things into this story.

And you know, it's a funny thing about clairvoyants and healers; many of them say their gifts come from a Divine source. This view keeps them humble.
That could be. My sister attended a party in her 20s at which there was a psychic. She was recently divorced, and the psychic told her she would have a marriage that was unconventional in some way and have two sons and a daughter.

She remembered it years later. She is white and married a black man at a time when people still stared at interracial couples out in public. She found out in her 30s she could not conceive, so they adopted a baby girl. He had two small sons from a prior marriage who spent weekends and vacations with them, and his sons' mother and her husband were part of their lives. All the children are now adults, and there are grandchildren and great-grandchildren in a blended family.

So, she said it came true, just not in the way she first expected.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:14 AM

756 posts, read 447,534 times
Soulmates are a romantic fantasy.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:07 AM

1,483 posts, read 688,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHS View Post
Soulmates are a romantic fantasy.
Yep, they sell lots of paper and ink.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:59 PM

15,076 posts, read 10,143,066 times
The Simpsons cartoon show has a series of predictions that were uncannily true.

I"m not about to start asking them for life advice....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships