Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 10:03 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,549,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
And I think this is an important thing for men and women to understand. Many men will only befriend women they're interested in. Many women will befriend anyone, with completely-platonic feelings. It creates a big problem when each thinks the other has the same motives they do. This is how you get the men who complain abou the "friend zone" (as if having platonic feelings for someone is a deliberate slight) or "she led me on" because he thought she also acted friendly to him because she was interested; and women who complain about men with ulterior motives because she just thought she gained a nice platonic friend.
The sooner the OP understands this, the better.

Unfortunately, not even people my age often understand it. That is why I do not invest too much time in making male friends. I will see them at group events and parties, and I will respond to things they post in group chats, but I do not give them too much individual attention like one on one texts, etc. because then they get the idea I am interested in them romantically. The exceptions are if they are gay or if they live far away in another country (but no flirty talk) as these are situations where there can be no chance for a mistake or romantic attachment on his part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 02:40 PM

1,483 posts, read 689,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
The sooner the OP understands this, the better.

Unfortunately, not even people my age often understand it. That is why I do not invest too much time in making male friends. I will see them at group events and parties, and I will respond to things they post in group chats, but I do not give them too much individual attention like one on one texts, etc. because then they get the idea I am interested in them romantically. The exceptions are if they are gay or if they live far away in another country (but no flirty talk) as these are situations where there can be no chance for a mistake or romantic attachment on his part.
And this is a major reason why I do not approach anyone - I will not give any allowance for misunderstandings.

If someone is 'interested' in me, they know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships