Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 05:31 AM

4 posts, read 2,967 times

Advertisements

It all started 2 months ago. I met this girl (18), me (18), at my high school and we introduced ourselves. In that week, she made the first step by texting me on IG. From that day, we talked daily, for hours, about everything and all was perfect.

Before Christmas, after 3 weeks of speaking, she told me that it would be nice to have a meeting, so I asked her out and she accepted, but after Christmas, because she is not in town. After the New Year, she totally changed, I really don't know what happened, but she started to be distant, cold, send dry texts and she left me on delivery for hours. I was kinda ok with that, I thought that maybe she has a bad time, so I tried to be there, everytime, asking if anything happened, if she's ok. She said that she is ok and changed the subject, every single time. . The worst part wasn't that, the thing is that from the gn and gm texts, flirt to nothing, not even to: How are you, or how was your day too?

One time, she said, out of nowhere: I miss my ex. Was a common subject, it's ok, just to know about your past relationships. I was ok, the first time, but she said this about 3 times in 1 day and another thing that she said was: I can't wait to go outside to find a boyfriend. This thing kinda destroyed me.

Then, I decided to take the step, I asked her: Hey, how about that meeting we established before Christmas? She left me on seen. For 3 days. I was destroyed, like the person I really like to talk with, left me on seen for 3 days and came back after those with a meme and I started to be cold and she asked why am I mad. Really? Why? You treated me like nothing. She tried to blame me, she did that because she didn't know what to say, because in the last time I avoid her, that I am annoying and insistent. Insistent? We talked for 2 months and I just asked you what about the meeting we both decided to go, we even chose the location. How do I avoid you? If I ask you daily how you are, if you are fine, how was your day, did you eat, and you don't even text: How are you? If you don't want me in your life, why you are the one who textes me first, every day?

The thing that ended all for me, was her saying: I don't want to fight anymore, I want us to be friends. I asked: What were we? and she said partial friends. I don't even know what that means.

Last edited by PrimeFire72; 01-28-2022 at 05:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 06:05 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,360,903 times
You're 18. She is 18. I wouldn't call it leading you on. She was interested 2 months ago and now she's not. At 18, and beyond, people change their minds all the time.

In my mind to say someone lead you on indicates intentional manipulative actions. This wasn't that. It's being 18.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:14 AM

1,593 posts, read 777,559 times
She wants to be friends; you want something romantic, and have convinced yourself that she did too, so when she explicitly says what she’s looking for (friendship) you feel “led on” because you’ve been imagining all this time that she was romantically interested.

I think 95% of the time “leading on” is really just wishful thinking on the guy’s part, and that 5% of the time when a woman is genuinely leading a guy on tends to be in online dating, where people put other people on their back burner and play their options so that they can get the best possible match. In a real-life setting, she was wanting friendship and you were wanting something different, so she is likely hurt and confused by how someone she thought was a friend is behaving so coldly now.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:19 AM

I tend to tell you that she is not hurted at all, she got back with her ex, even told me that I was never a friend for her, just some replacement.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:19 AM

11,397 posts, read 24,468,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeFire72 View Post
I tend to tell you that she is not hurted at all, she got back with her ex, even told me that I was never a friend for her, just some replacement.
Well, that’s how it goes sometimes.

Don’t let it bother you too long. You will have better luck with other women in the future. Hopefully you’ll live a long, long time and be sharing good advice when you’re older.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:56 AM

137 posts, read 82,408 times
My guy, we've all been there.

She didn't lead you on. If she spent all this time texting with you and you felt the connection was there, it's because for a time she was interested in you. However it was just fickle infatuation that could be blown away by a stiff breeze, and it was.

Maybe she started chatting with someone else, or maybe she received attention from her ex during the holidays and her attention quickly turned back to him.

Whatever the specifics of the case are, you had some kind of crush, it did not materialize, and now it's over.

You'll get over it, I assure you.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Well, that’s how it goes sometimes.

Don’t let it bother you too long. You will have better luck with other women in the future. Hopefully you’ll live a long, long time and be sharing good advice when you’re older.
Thank you man. Hope you the best!

Old 01-28-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamexe View Post
My guy, we've all been there.

She didn't lead you on. If she spent all this time texting with you and you felt the connection was there, it's because for a time she was interested in you. However it was just fickle infatuation that could be blown away by a stiff breeze, and it was.

Maybe she started chatting with someone else, or maybe she received attention from her ex during the holidays and her attention quickly turned back to him.

Whatever the specifics of the case are, you had some kind of crush, it did not materialize, and now it's over.

You'll get over it, I assure you.

Thank you for you words man. Yhea, that's true, there were something and was not all in my head, but as you said, it blew off. Wish you the best.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:05 PM

6,470 posts, read 3,990,438 times
You had your answer as soon as she started saying "I miss my ex." Even if she didn't say it as a deliberate message to you, you certainly should have taken the meaning, "I don't want to be with someone like this."

Besides, for all you know, something *did* happen. She kept changing the subject when you asked, which means there was something she didn't want to talk about.

The question is... how much did you press? How often did you contact her? Is it possible she just got fed up?

Or maybe she met someone else in that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeFire72 View Post
Okay, so, now you know.

In the meantime, you might want to think about what traits could clue you in to a person being like that, and how you might choose someone with different traits in future. I just feel like I've heard so much of this story, and often the woman involved is "hot" or "exciting" (which is sometimes synonymous with "unstable").

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
She wants to be friends; you want something romantic, and have convinced yourself that she did too, so when she explicitly says what she’s looking for (friendship) you feel “led on” because you’ve been imagining all this time that she was romantically interested.

I think 95% of the time “leading on” is really just wishful thinking on the guy’s part, and that 5% of the time when a woman is genuinely leading a guy on tends to be in online dating, where people put other people on their back burner and play their options so that they can get the best possible match. In a real-life setting, she was wanting friendship and you were wanting something different, so she is likely hurt and confused by how someone she thought was a friend is behaving so coldly now.
This. And I think this is an important thing for men and women to understand. Many men will only befriend women they're interested in. Many women will befriend anyone, with completely-platonic feelings. It creates a big problem when each thinks the other has the same motives they do. This is how you get the men who complain abou the "friend zone" (as if having platonic feelings for someone is a deliberate slight) or "she led me on" because he thought she also acted friendly to him because she was interested; and women who complain about men with ulterior motives because she just thought she gained a nice platonic friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamexe View Post
Or it's even possible she started looking to date other people hoping it would help her get over the ex, and that didn't work. Or she spent time with family who encouraged her to get back with the ex.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:13 PM

198 posts, read 109,331 times
Let her go. Sorry that happened to you but I suspect she really does miss her ex. She isn't ready to actually date for real
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships