Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 02:59 PM

4 posts, read 2,007 times

Advertisements

I'm in my late 50s new to midlife dating scene. Is it unusual after a fifth date for a woman not to appreciate some physical
contact? On a fifth date, after dinner we watched a film on my couch. She sat on the opposite side from me. When we parted and I gave her a hug I could sense she wasn't enjoying it (which was similar to the prior time). We had quite a bit in common, but I was so bothered I just let the relationship fade away. I asked her out one more time, but she couldn't go. We texted back and forth after that and then faded.

I keep wondering, am I unreasonable in thinking that something is wrong if we don't both enjoy some physical contact by this point in a relationship? I sort of feel guilty for letting it fade without a discussion; but at that point I was feeling I wanted her to be more proactive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 03:10 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Why did you not ask her? There is no rule to "let it fade out without a discussion." I find that rather rude to be honest.

Just say, "oh, you don't like to be hugged?? Sorry!!" and see what she says.

I hug everyone. Never encountered what you encountered. Maybe she is scared about covid.

Old 02-14-2022, 03:51 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
First post by OP make me suspicious that it is a troll post.
Having said that:
If the person you are 'dating' isn't receptive to a hug after 4 previous dates it isn't going to work out. Unless, of course, they are Vulcan.

Old 02-14-2022, 03:52 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,977,052 times
It doesn't really matter what's "usual"-- no one follows a certain "script." Even if there was one... she doesn't fit it, so it really doesn't matter what everyone else does. If it bugs you, and you don't want to ask her about it, then I guess she's not for you. Meanwhile, there's no "formula" you can follow to ensure that anyone you get involved with will want physical affection within the time frame you want it.

Old 02-14-2022, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 2,007 times
I doubt it was Covid. We were both vaxxed and eating in restaurants and riding in my car together without masks. I never ghosted her; just after she said she had too much work for the next date we exchanged a few texts. After I initiated a brief text exchange, I just stopped initiating anything, and took the attitude that if she is really interested, she can reach out.

Last edited by Jimkirk7; 02-14-2022 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-14-2022, 04:21 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
It sounds like she's just not that into you, but we're not getting a lot of info. What was her behavior like on your previous dates? Was she comfortable with dating in general?

Old 02-14-2022, 04:31 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,791,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimkirk7 View Post
I'm in my late 50s new to midlife dating scene. Is it unusual after a fifth date for a woman not to appreciate some physical
contact? On a fifth date, after dinner we watched a film on my couch. She sat on the opposite side from me. When we parted and I gave her a hug I could sense she wasn't enjoying it (which was similar to the prior time). We had quite a bit in common, but I was so bothered I just let the relationship fade away. I asked her out one more time, but she couldn't go. We texted back and forth after that and then faded.

I keep wondering, am I unreasonable in thinking that something is wrong if we don't both enjoy some physical contact by this point in a relationship? I sort of feel guilty for letting it fade without a discussion; but at that point I was feeling I wanted her to be more proactive.
It's not a question of what's "right" and/or "wrong". She's simply different.

Some people have no problem having sex with someone they met five minutes ago. Others wouldn't even dream about having sex for five months after they meet. It really depends on a person's comfort level, and there's nothing set in stone to say that "this" or "that" MUST happen by a certain time.

Some women feel the need to trust a man before getting physical with him. That is, she wants to trust him enough to know that he's not sleeping around with other women and/or, he doesn't ONLY or MAINLY want her for sex.

It may be the 5th date for you, but for HER, she may think that 5 dates simply isn't enough time for her to know you well enough.

Old 02-14-2022, 04:50 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
If a relationship is baffling or confusing early on then it may be a sign that it's not a good one for you personally. Or it could be a sign that you're quite immature or naive as to your expectations. Since you're in your 50s I tend to think it's the former rather than the latter.

As others have pointed out, there's nothing inherently "wrong" with her having strong boundaries against physical intimacy this "early". There could be all sorts of good, bad, or indifferent reasons for her doing that. But if this is not organically working for you, and you only are a few weeks in, and clearly not "exclusive" or "steady" ... meh, move on and find someone who is more comfortable with you and vice versa. Or at least have a frank discussion about mutual expectations there before it becomes progressively more weird. Is she a "no sex before marriage" person? Is she uncomfortable with physical intimacy, or does she just feel that has to develop on a far more gradual timeline, on the order of months or even years? Is she self aware enough to have an adult conversation about this topic or is she evasive or deflecting? Does she seem capable of trust and vulnerability?

Communication always helps, and can tell you a lot.

Old 02-14-2022, 05:38 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Umm, if you don't get any reciprocal physical intimacy or contact by the 3rd date at the latest, it ain't gonna happen.

Waiting until the fifth date only means that your date was enjoying the free dinners, movies, drinks, and anything else the guy was freely buying her.

I know there will be some that will chime in that it took them over several years before they felt comfortable enough to be intimate. Well, good for them, that ain't the norm though.

Life is too short to be wasted on anything you don't want. This is not hard, guys (and girls). Figuring out if someone is genuinely attracted to you does not take years to decode or any specialized training.

Old 02-14-2022, 05:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Nothing is absolute.

With my current GF it was 5 or 6 dates before I got even a reciprocal kiss.

After I got that, things happened FAST.

The truth is that no shmo here knows what's going to happen if you ... ask that girl at work out, if you go on one more date, if you quit your job and sell all your belongings and move to Alaska...

But it's fun to say that you do know I suppose. That's why we're here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships