Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2022, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 2,127 times

Advertisements

I weighed 270 pounds( she and I are both 26) late last year, but, now I'm in the 250s. I've really buckled down, tried to move more, eat right, everything like that.

On my way to 270 though, I was dating & eventually married to her. A lot of our dates were going out to eat, drive thru, delivery, carry-out. So on and so on. We both put on a ton of weight and, up until 270, it was treated as almost a joke to us. Nobody was alarmed that a lot of her clothes stopped fitting, or mine, or that just climbing stairs became hard.

Seeing 270 really woke me up, kicked me into gear. In my mind, it was something I did to myself, I'm to blame. She then weighed herself. 237 pounds. In her mind, I'm to blame. As she sees it, because all of this time was more or less spent around food, I'm the reason she's big & out of shape. In her view, had she not met me, she'd be thin.

I just, the more I hear it from her, the more I'm finding myself thinking that she's right. But then, sometimes I remind myself, I didn't force her to eat any of the junk we had around. I've tried everything with her though, to mend this issue. I invite her on walks, invite her to cook healthy. She declines, eats junk, blames me for setting her on an " unhealthy path".

What can I do to fix this?

Old 02-14-2022, 09:17 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
You can both get on a diet and exercise program. The problem belongs to each of you individually now, it's up to each of you to solve your issue.
You can encourage each other right now.
Save the blame game for when you're in couples or group therapy together.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
You can both get on a diet and exercise program. The problem belongs to each of you individually now, it's up to each of you to solve your issue.
You can encourage each other right now.
Save the blame game for when you're in couples or group therapy together.
I've gotten a weight loss app & walk everyday, or, if a walk isn't possible, I use a treadmill in our building

Old 02-14-2022, 09:45 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,035,841 times
Food can be a drug, even an addiction, but unless she is an actual child that you force-fed then you are not responsible for your wife's weight, even if you did it together. An adult makes their own decisions, she made hers, you made yours.

Sounds like you both enjoyed eating food but you figured out you did not want to keep gaining weight and make your physical condition worse. She has not come to your conclusion yet, maybe never will. Until it's her idea it just won't happen.

Finding out that your spouse is 100% opposed to the way you want to eat and live is a big thing. You both should be talking to a marriage counselor and if she won't go then you need to go by yourself to discuss how your marriage is going to work. Yes, you changed a big part of your life after getting married and she didn't expect that. Figure out where to go from here. But are you to blame for her weight? Nope. You might have been a co-conspirator but she was doing the eating too.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Food can be a drug, even an addiction, but unless she is an actual child that you force-fed then you are not responsible for your wife's weight, even if you did it together. An adult makes their own decisions, she made hers, you made yours.

Sounds like you both enjoyed eating food but you figured out you did not want to keep gaining weight and make your physical condition worse. She has not come to your conclusion yet, maybe never will. Until it's her idea it just won't happen.

Finding out that your spouse is 100% opposed to the way you want to eat and live is a big thing. You both should be talking to a marriage counselor and if she won't go then you need to go by yourself to discuss how your marriage is going to work. Yes, you changed a big part of your life after getting married and she didn't expect that. Figure out where to go from here. But are you to blame for her weight? Nope. You might have been a co-conspirator but she was doing the eating too.

I'm starting to wonder how I'm even a co-conspirator.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:13 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
You didn't force her to eat, but you were a bad influence. She's correct that you set her on an unhealthy path.

I don't know how you can fix this. It would be easy to say that you should just be a good influence and set her on a healthy path, but it's very hard to kick bad habits.

I'll say this, though: you're not doing yourself any favors by refusing to acknowledge that you had a role in this.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You didn't force her to eat, but you were a bad influence. She's correct that you set her on an unhealthy path.

I don't know how you can fix this. It would be easy to say that you should just be a good influence and set her on a healthy path, but it's very hard to kick bad habits.

I'll say this, though: you're not doing yourself any favors by refusing to acknowledge that you had a role in this.
What I'm lost on is the hypocrisy of " you made me fat", but then, when I offer to help her lose weight as I'm doing, she doesn't want to. She followed me down the wrong path, but can't be bothered to flip to the right path with me

Old 02-14-2022, 10:58 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
I'm very sorry, OP, but the thread is now closed. This topic has been discussed extensively in the past, and because it's a touchy subject with some people, previous threads have generated lots of rude posts and personal attacks. Also, the Terms of Service do not permit duplicate thread topics.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.