Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 07:35 PM

1,438 posts, read 733,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Apparently some think so fondly of them they go out of their way to find them on the internet and bring them back in their lives. They don't even know them after all those years, people change a lot with time so it's almost like calling in a stranger. I think it is an ego thing and there's a lot more to it than just "catching up".
Yep we call it baggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 07:37 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,957,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Yep we call it baggage.
But you do hear stories of people reconnecting romantically after decades, so hope springs eternal.

Old 05-26-2022, 03:31 AM

1,438 posts, read 733,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
But you do hear stories of people reconnecting romantically after decades, so hope springs eternal.
Yep, but those I know personally who have successfully done that tend to be people who never actually broke up, like the HS sweetheart who moved away while still in the honeymoon phase(I was a military brat so I knew plenty of those couples, I was one of those couples a few times in HS)

Since those couples never had a breakup it is easier for them to start off where they left off since they have no bad memories of each other.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:12 AM

1,366 posts, read 612,755 times
I do. Old age tends to do that to a person. It's fun to think about first love when one was younger and other relationships, especially the good ones, one had in the past. My first love is still around and see on the rare occasion, tho we're both not the same person we were back then my feelings soften when I see her, in spite of both of us having found our one true love as adults.

Last edited by CEN2RION; 05-26-2022 at 06:22 AM..

Old 05-26-2022, 09:14 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,782 times
What youthful first love? I'm five years away from fifty and have so far managed to avoid any such entanglements. The trick is not to answer the call when Aphrodite comes a-knocking.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:45 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,664,836 times
I don't know about "fondly", maybe "sadly" is a better description. Yes, I probably think about her once a week or so, despite having been happily married to someone else for over 30 years. I don't really wish it had worked out, as I can see now in hindsight the relationship was doomed, but sometimes I consider what would have been my alternate life path had we gotten married and had two kids like we talked about.

Old 05-26-2022, 11:05 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,957,396 times
It must be old age but these days I see the answers to all of life's questions in song lyrics.

To All The Girls I've Loved Before
Written by David Hal and Hammond Albert Louis

To all the girls I've loved before
Who traveled in and out my door
I'm glad they came along
I dedicate this song

To all the girls I once caressed
And may I say, I've held the best
For helping me to grow, I owe a lot, I know
To all the girls I've loved before ...

To all the girls who shared my life
Who now are someone else's wives
I'm glad they came along
I dedicate this song

To all the girls who cared for me
Who filled my nights with ecstasy
They live within my heart
I'll always be a part
Of all the girls I've loved before ...

Old 05-26-2022, 01:36 PM

741 posts, read 441,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddle monster View Post
My first loves never even knew that I existed. Oh well! At least I have the memories of some very romantic fantasies to look back on.

It was worse for me. My first loves knew I existed. They just didn't care. They all made it clear they didn't want their lives "ruined" by a guy in a wheelchair. That became a recurring theme over the past forty years until I just gave up.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:31 AM

357 posts, read 443,796 times
I've had three great loves in my life including my wife of 45 years. The first two died long ago so I guess I married the right one.

Old 05-29-2022, 02:11 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
It's interesting to see so many of the men's answers refer to having passed up someone they loved, and ended up marrying someone they're "compatible" with. They passed up the passion of deep love for practicality. I find that interesting. It's so different from what many women think men want. There's something to be said for no drama, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships