Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 09:29 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times

Advertisements

^As is often the case with these types of threads.

We all know he got the truth from several if not all people in this thread. Hopefully he is thinking about what his role in that mess was and is able to avoid this kind of scenario in the future. If he liked the sex, he's probably still seeing her until it quite expectedly fizzles out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2022, 11:12 AM

377 posts, read 275,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Just for context, what do you do professionally? What college did you go to, and which one did she?

I mean if she's doing cancer research and you are essentially a garbage man, she sort of has a point.
I'm a project engineer in the construction industry for a company that oversees and manages all parts of the project from pre-construction to completion. I'm heavily involved in the business, financial, contract negotiations and issuance, problem prevention and solving side more so than managing people on a jobsite. Don't really need to post my full job description since its on Indeed, but my next promotion will bring me to six figures in a low cost of living city.

She went to a big 10 college and I graduated from a lesser known state college. What college someone went to is irrelevant anyways after you've gained work experience.

And no we are no longer seeing each other. I'm pretty sure she was on the rebound after getting out of a very long term relationship just a few months ago and moving to a new city. There was no long term potential so nothing lost here.

Old 08-27-2022, 12:05 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I'm a project engineer in the construction industry for a company that oversees and manages all parts of the project from pre-construction to completion. I'm heavily involved in the business, financial, contract negotiations and issuance, problem prevention and solving side more so than managing people on a jobsite. Don't really need to post my full job description since its on Indeed, but my next promotion will bring me to six figures in a low cost of living city.

She went to a big 10 college and I graduated from a lesser known state college. What college someone went to is irrelevant anyways after you've gained work experience.

And no we are no longer seeing each other. I'm pretty sure she was on the rebound after getting out of a very long term relationship just a few months ago and moving to a new city. There was no long term potential so nothing lost here.
Well there is nothing wrong with your job, if you are good at it you can hold your head up and look the world in the eye. Construction is a good manly-man career. As is engineering, writ large.

There is nothing wrong with a less-known school either. If you study hard you will learn just the same as at Harvard or whatever. The big name schools do provide a great networking opportunity but that's a perk, not a necessity.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Old 08-27-2022, 12:25 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Thank you for the update, and you have an impressive career. Her loss.

I've attended community college, a state collage and an impressive university. I've had good and bad classes and instructors at all three. Most were good. Big 10 college can go suck an egg.

With the USC disaster a couple years ago (Aunt Becky and Mossimo) the good ole boy and girl network was exposed for what it is. Now saying a person can't get a good education there and other places like Notre Dame and Harvard, but a lot of kids get in there who don't belong there at all.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:32 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:

I work in an HVAC related industry and I'm familar construction project engineers and management. Its a good solid job. You are right, once you get a few years in your job no one really care much about what school you went to. Experience really trumps all

Old 08-28-2022, 12:46 PM

595 posts, read 265,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
Sounds like she's sleeping her way through the town/city's men until she hits on the one who wants to worship at the feet of a hysterical, promiscuous, entitled snob. Be glad it's not you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyWest View Post
Not sure why you would label her as promiscuous when he is as well. They are both lacking morals imo.
Maybe next time get to actually know a person before becoming intimate. What's the hurry.
Why jump to that conclusion for either of them?

And why judge either of them even if they were?

A little judgy here, IMHO. Seems to me the only bed anyone has to worry about is their own.

Old 08-28-2022, 03:58 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyWest View Post
Not sure why you would label her as promiscuous when he is as well. They are both lacking morals imo.
Maybe next time get to actually know a person before becoming intimate. What's the hurry.
99% of single men are promiscuous and would not turn down sex from an attractive woman. I personally am fine with one night stands or sex before really knowing someone. If you’re not then that’s fine but that’s not how everyone else is. And She was on the rebound so I think that’s why she wanted to have sex so early.

Old 08-28-2022, 10:35 PM

632 posts, read 299,194 times
Quote:
So I had a second date which led to sex. She is admittedly "blunt" and "tells it how it is", and as we were laying in bed she called my career meaningless and dismissively mentioned one of my job duties as if it was nothing special. I then told her that was rude, degrading, she attacked my career, and that I can't be with someone who doesn't respect my career. She immediately tried to backtrack but I told her she was now just trying to tell me what I wanted to hear and that the truth already came out. She has a PHD and has a high paying career in the medical field and comes from a rich successful family (which means nothing to me). I have a decent upper middle class career and come from a middle class to upper middle class family. Early that night I also think she had a reaction I didn't care for regarding the college I graduated from. After I said my piece I told her I was leaving (was going to spend the night) and she was crying and apologizing the whole time.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I over reacted and should ask her out again or just call it all off. There has been a decent connection between us and a physical attraction. Sex was great, but I will not date someone who looks down on my career and definitely not someone who will openly put down my career to my face.
Enjoy the ride on her merry go round. She's just playing the field.

Old 08-28-2022, 10:53 PM

285 posts, read 204,509 times
Quote:
So I had a second date which led to sex. She is admittedly "blunt" and "tells it how it is", and as we were laying in bed she called my career meaningless and dismissively mentioned one of my job duties as if it was nothing special. I then told her that was rude, degrading, she attacked my career, and that I can't be with someone who doesn't respect my career. She immediately tried to backtrack but I told her she was now just trying to tell me what I wanted to hear and that the truth already came out. She has a PHD and has a high paying career in the medical field and comes from a rich successful family (which means nothing to me). I have a decent upper middle class career and come from a middle class to upper middle class family. Early that night I also think she had a reaction I didn't care for regarding the college I graduated from. After I said my piece I told her I was leaving (was going to spend the night) and she was crying and apologizing the whole time.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I over reacted and should ask her out again or just call it all off. There has been a decent connection between us and a physical attraction. Sex was great, but I will not date someone who looks down on my career and definitely not someone who will openly put down my career to my face.
I may have a different take as I see individuals who make comments like this incredibly insecure. She doesn't have a superiority complex. The complete opposite and feels inferior to you. All the diplomas, certificates and degrees in the world won't make someone fall in love with you and most people know that.

Confident individuals who know they're making an impact in the world or in their communities won't have a need to bring up someone else's career or make comments like this. I'm sorry you encountered that but I would feel sorry for her and let her go. She has some growing up and maturing to do.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:12 AM

762 posts, read 452,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
Why jump to that conclusion for either of them?

And why judge either of them even if they were?

A little judgy here, IMHO. Seems to me the only bed anyone has to worry about is their own.
I could care less who they screw around with however they are both equal (why is she labeled as easy when he's doing the same thing); simply shows they are not self regulated imo

pro·mis·cu·ous
adjective
1. having or characterized by many transient sexual relationships.
2. demonstrating or implying an undiscriminating or unselective approach; indiscriminate or casual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships