Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 11:08 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,224,972 times

Advertisements

It’s not being blunt. It’s malicious and hurtful.

And there’s a lot more where that came from - guaranteed. I’d run, and I’d be grateful that it only took the second date to see the ugliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 11:15 AM

1,483 posts, read 685,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Why would you want to deal w/ that? BE DONE. With her blunt personality, she's definitely going to say & do other things down the road that you won't like I'm pretty positive. So it's best to end it now. And for her having a PhD, I don't know why why she's crying. She may be booksmart, but doesn't seem that emotionally mature. I know I in hell wouldnn't want a person like that!

Funny how she's so, "blunt", yet so weak too (already crying for nothing). A mature person would just apologize for insulting your job and sensibly say that they probably shouldn't move forward w/ dating because it doesn't seem like they're compatible.

Another reason to not sleep w/ people so fast. How does anyone know anyone after barely 2 dates? People still don't know people after months. Must everyone have to have sex just because they're 2 consenting adults? Most people don't even know each other yet.
Yep.

But, apparently, that is the minority view here.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:20 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,748,112 times
I'd pass on.

The first flag was the so called being blunt. I find that annoying. Ripping on my career and what college I went to wouldn't fly either.

I'd move on, she seems a bit too concerned with crap that really doesn't matter in terms of character and other more important traits.

Once you get a few years under your belt things like job titles and what college you went to doesn't really matter to many people.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:47 AM

1,702 posts, read 785,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Overreacted? Yeah, a little bit. Your best reaction would have been to laugh it off. It sounds like you got your back up over an unintended slight and are the one who turned it into a fight.

If she is young, you could have laughed it off and then pointed out later, and very calmly, that what she said was hurtful. Maybe that would have made her more sensitive, maybe not. Maybe the relationship could have been salvaged, maybe not.

But it is over now, so no more sex for you. At some point, maybe figure out that your job is not you and it doesn't define who you are.
Your advice is to "laugh off" something you don't like in order to continue to have sex with someone you don't get along with? Anyone who'd do that reeks of desperation.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:53 AM

12,783 posts, read 15,005,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
Yep.

But, apparently, that is the minority view here.

Sadly yes. If only sex was viewed as a lot more special & not just a carnal, "need" to feel good for the moment.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:54 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
So I had a second date which led to sex. She is admittedly "blunt" and "tells it how it is", and as we were laying in bed she called my career meaningless and dismissively mentioned one of my job duties as if it was nothing special. I then told her that was rude, degrading, she attacked my career, and that I can't be with someone who doesn't respect my career. She immediately tried to backtrack but I told her she was now just trying to tell me what I wanted to hear and that the truth already came out. She has a PHD and has a high paying career in the medical field and comes from a rich successful family (which means nothing to me). I have a decent upper middle class career and come from a middle class to upper middle class family. Early that night I also think she had a reaction I didn't care for regarding the college I graduated from. After I said my piece I told her I was leaving (was going to spend the night) and she was crying and apologizing the whole time.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I over reacted and should ask her out again or just call it all off. There has been a decent connection between us and a physical attraction. Sex was great, but I will not date someone who looks down on my career and definitely not someone who will openly put down my career to my face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Overreacted? Yeah, a little bit. Your best reaction would have been to laugh it off. It sounds like you got your back up over an unintended slight and are the one who turned it into a fight.

If she is young, you could have laughed it off and then pointed out later, and very calmly, that what she said was hurtful. Maybe that would have made her more sensitive, maybe not. Maybe the relationship could have been salvaged, maybe not.

But it is over now, so no more sex for you. At some point, maybe figure out that your job is not you and it doesn't define who you are.
Did we read the same thread? She had already made one very intentional slight against the OP by the time they were in bed and then made another one ON PURPOSE. The OP is not overreacting to someone who talked down to him on purpose. I’ll bet my check she cried crocodile tears because she knew she screwed up and OP wouldn’t take it anymore.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:06 PM

11,223 posts, read 8,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
Now I'm trying to figure out if I over reacted and should ask her out again or just call it all off. There has been a decent connection between us and a physical attraction. Sex was great, but I will not date someone who looks down on my career and definitely not someone who will openly put down my career to my face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
A second date, that is almost a one night stand. She was a disrespectful jerk this early on, not worth it. Also, red flag of crazy crying that you didn't want to stay - you don't even know each other you are strangers.
I guess I'm the only one here, but I think you might have overreacted.

At minimum, we've only heard your side of the story. Maybe she was a disrespectful jerk, or MAYBE you have thin skin, and saw something that wasn't even there. Or maybe she's just a little socially akward and said the wrong thing or said it the wrong way.

It seems to me that YOU were the one who blew up. Why didn't you calmly ask her what she meant? You went right to "I can't be with you because....".

I doubt she'd have you anyway, but next time maybe be a bit more curious and a lot less judgmental yourself.

My perspective comes from this: I'm married to someone who is my opposite in a lot of ways. Political (one of us votes D and the other is a staunch Trump Supporter, doesn't matter which is which, that's a big hurdle to overcome). We have a lot of miscommunications, but we take the time to work it out. Sure, sometimes we argue, but we also listen.

Sorry, I guess I'm in the minority, but i think you overreacted. Who knows if this was going anywhere, probably not, but you may never find out now.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:47 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,543,231 times
You were right to leave, and you would be right to stop seeing her. Something tells me that if you went to Yale med and worked in pediatric oncology, she would have found something else to demean about you.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:11 PM

20,767 posts, read 19,992,197 times
You saw her true colors.

Her apology means nothing.

Run. There is nothing to salvage.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:15 PM

11,525 posts, read 6,034,241 times
If you are not good enough for her now, don't expect that you ever will be good enough for her, but do expect her to hold it over your head on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships