Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 12:52 PM

305 posts, read 570,015 times

Advertisements

Curious for opinions on this situation. Not looking for anyone to tell me what to do, but interested in how others would deal with this (aside from not getting in it in the first place)

I've known this friend about 5 years. We met because we work very near each other. He initially hid that he had once dated my now ex who I was still with at the time, and knew that we were together. I soon found out when I realized I recognized him from old social media pictures, but agreed to continue getting lunch with him because I enjoyed his company. I did not tell my ex that we had met or continued to spend time together (a definite mistake on my part and there will be more of these).

He's married and has been with his husband for 13 years now. They are in an agreed upon monogamous relationship. He eventually let me know though that their sex life had languished and he had turned to getting sex from many other sources. I didn't and still don't agree with how he has acted and dealt with his marriage problem but naive me thought I could help him either improve his marriage or find someone he is more suitable with.

I was never going to be successful. He doesn't see anything wrong with his situation. Both he and his husband seem to be otherwise happy in their marriage. I also can't believe that the husband hasn't figured it out by now. This friend has to have up to 50 different affairs per year, and some of them turn into multi-week dating situations (of course the dates never know that he is married either). And he soon wanted to turn me into a friends with benefits as well. I resisted for years out of my own moral obligations and a general lack of sexual or romantic interest for him. But I eventually caved to pressure a few of times for reasons that I won't get into here unless someone wants to know and became part of the problem.

I've gotten out of that; I haven't been physically involved for over a year and he's eventually mostly stopped asking that I do. But I keep asking myself why I still have him in my life. On one hand we have very little in common. We have different interests, besides a few shared activities, we even have very different outlooks on life, approaches to relationships, etc. On the other hand, he was there for me during my breakup even though his advice is usually pretty awful. Although it has been interesting to bounce my opinions and situations off of him just to see how the exact opposite approach looks. I have become his closest and (mostly) only friend, but mostly because he doesn't think anyone else who is not having sex with is worth his time. I also get constant play by play updates on many of his affairs which has me conflicted because we occasionally spend time with his husband. It's fascinating in a can't-look-away sort of way, even though I really don't want to know about all of it.

At the heart of it, I know I have a serious people pleasing problem. And knowing that he values me as much as he says--even as part of me doesn't really trust him--I know I may never truly dump this friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 01:27 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,162,770 times
Soooo...the question is "Would we dump this friend?" Right? Honestly...I don't think I would've gotten in the situation in the first place.

But it sounds like you enjoy being his friend all in all.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned B View Post
Curious for opinions on this situation. Not looking for anyone to tell me what to do, but interested in how others would deal with this (aside from not getting in it in the first place)

I've known this friend about 5 years. We met because we work very near each other. He initially hid that he had once dated my now ex who I was still with at the time, and knew that we were together. I soon found out when I realized I recognized him from old social media pictures, but agreed to continue getting lunch with him because I enjoyed his company. I did not tell my ex that we had met or continued to spend time together (a definite mistake on my part and there will be more of these).

He's married and has been with his husband for 13 years now. They are in an agreed upon monogamous relationship. He eventually let me know though that their sex life had languished and he had turned to getting sex from many other sources. I didn't and still don't agree with how he has acted and dealt with his marriage problem but naive me thought I could help him either improve his marriage or find someone he is more suitable with.

I was never going to be successful. He doesn't see anything wrong with his situation. Both he and his husband seem to be otherwise happy in their marriage. I also can't believe that the husband hasn't figured it out by now. This friend has to have up to 50 different affairs per year, and some of them turn into multi-week dating situations (of course the dates never know that he is married either). And he soon wanted to turn me into a friends with benefits as well. I resisted for years out of my own moral obligations and a general lack of sexual or romantic interest for him. But I eventually caved to pressure a few of times for reasons that I won't get into here unless someone wants to know and became part of the problem.

I've gotten out of that; I haven't been physically involved for over a year and he's eventually mostly stopped asking that I do. But I keep asking myself why I still have him in my life. On one hand we have very little in common. We have different interests, besides a few shared activities, we even have very different outlooks on life, approaches to relationships, etc. On the other hand, he was there for me during my breakup even though his advice is usually pretty awful. Although it has been interesting to bounce my opinions and situations off of him just to see how the exact opposite approach looks. I have become his closest and (mostly) only friend, but mostly because he doesn't think anyone else who is not having sex with is worth his time. I also get constant play by play updates on many of his affairs which has me conflicted because we occasionally spend time with his husband. It's fascinating in a can't-look-away sort of way, even though I really don't want to know about all of it.

At the heart of it, I know I have a serious people pleasing problem. And knowing that he values me as much as he says--even as part of me doesn't really trust him--I know I may never truly dump this friend.
Quote:
I have become his closest and (mostly) only friend, but mostly because he doesn't think anyone else who is not having sex with is worth his time.
Based on that sentence alone, I’d dump this dude as a friend. Just not a good look on people in general and I’d not want that around me. Never mind the temptation to enable him to violate his marriage.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:48 PM

19,727 posts, read 20,264,355 times
50 affairs per year? I'll pass on the monkeypox, thanks.

That level of sexual promiscuity is way too far off the deep end for me, even in an open relationship. Being a total skank is not cool.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:00 PM

6,879 posts, read 4,880,771 times
Depends on how much you enjoy the drama. He needs someone to tell all his exploits, which is probably why he stays friends with you.

If you get involved with someone else in the future and are still friends with him, best warn them about him.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:52 PM

595 posts, read 265,872 times
I wouldn't be friends with someone who pressured me for sex, so I'd have dumped him long ago.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:00 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,429 times
No question, I would have dropped him... he seems to totally go against everything I hold close to me.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:17 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
I think this entire friendship is based on titillation.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:30 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,311,374 times
At some point this guy's husband is going to find out and feel very betrayed by all of the men who slept with his husband and for anyone who enabled his cheating. There is drama coming your way, when the "it" hits the fan. Do you want to be part of that? Do you want to enable people to engage in self destructive behavior?

If it were me, I wouldn't be interested in all of the drama.

Old 08-24-2022, 05:06 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,795,410 times
How about be true to *yourself*?

If you don't like this situation, why be in it?

Some people who cross our path's are meant to be for a 'season'. Not everyone is meant to be in our lives, for the rest of our lives. And THAT is o.k....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships