Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 10:04 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
And I make more doing one show than I do on 2 days doing my regular job.

And I have gotten to the point I could support myself just doing music, I'd be living on romen noodles but my bills would be paid.

Ok…good luck in your music career & with dating O.P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 10:31 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
As soon as you get paid it's no longer a hobby, as hobbies only cost you money.

And I make more doing one show than I do on 2 days doing my regular job.

And I have gotten to the point I could support myself just doing music, I'd be living on romen noodles but my bills would be paid.
That is not considered to be making a living.

If you can’t make a living doing something, then it’s only appropriate to call it a hobby or a side hustle.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:05 AM

1,438 posts, read 734,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That is not considered to be making a living.

If you can’t make a living doing something, then it’s only appropriate to call it a hobby or a side hustle.
You know I know people who make more on their side hustles than they do on their actual job and strangely they still call it their side hustle, granted it's usually a case where their side hustle makes more actual money but their day job has benefits one example is a guy I know who sups up car's and pimps out and jacks up 4x4's in his detached garage in his back yard, as his side hustle, and teaches auto mechanics for Dallas ISD as his day job. and it's not even close how much more his side hustle makes on average. the benefits is the only thing keeping him in the school system.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:41 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,878,692 times
I was gonna say, "Since my girlfriend's mom said NO WAY, you're not dating HIM..." when I was 16...

But more practical, as others have said: Only two roads here.

1. You do it for a living - and most women, if they want someone "your age" want someone with a "real" job that can put kids in college;

or

2. You do it as a hobby, meaning you are at rehearsal with a band one night a week, practicing many hours the other nights, unavailable on lots of holidays (like New Years) and probably miss lots of weekends - when you don't come til dawn.

Either way - when you're 21 these things don't matter - but later on, they do.

Old 06-06-2023, 05:45 PM

880 posts, read 461,913 times
l still think in something like this life should be about what you want and are passionate about. Your not married so your as free as a bird to do whatever you want.
And l'd still say it def' isn't gonna be just anyone's cup of tea but if it's a relationship or marriage you would like then that right person might be well usually is, a lot alike in whatever and whomever we are and in what we are about .
A musician is a totally different life and lifestyle , a totally different person to any norm well , there are still women around like that too at any age.
Doing what you love and being true to yourself and where you wanna be is probably the biggest chance in meeting her.
But eh, if not and it's that sort of groupie/ partying or whatever thing you'd like then your probably shyt outa luck at this age.

Old 06-07-2023, 05:59 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomx View Post

l still think in something like this life should be about what you want and are passionate about. Your not married so your as free as a bird to do whatever you want.
And l'd still say it def' isn't gonna be just anyone's cup of tea but if it's a relationship or marriage you would like then that right person might be well usually is, a lot alike in whatever and whomever we are and in what we are about .
A musician is a totally different life and lifestyle , a totally different person to any norm well , there are still women around like that too at any age.
Doing what you love and being true to yourself and where you wanna be is probably the biggest chance in meeting her.
But eh, if not and it's that sort of groupie/ partying or whatever thing you'd like then your probably shyt outa luck at this age.
Great post, and I agree.

I see this with alot of my peers (40s-50s) those who are now divorced, or already did their familial duties - the kids are grown and out of the house. There is so much more free time and the funds available to really have some fun and focus on yourselves. I don't have children, so my interests always take precedent next to priority, which is a luxury in this day and age.. To be able to pursue these things is a blessing, so I think the OP will be fine, he just needs to get with some like-minded individuals... & remember:

Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind..

Old 06-10-2023, 06:31 PM

1,438 posts, read 734,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Great post, and I agree.

I see this with alot of my peers (40s-50s) those who are now divorced, or already did their familial duties - the kids are grown and out of the house. There is so much more free time and the funds available to really have some fun and focus on yourselves. I don't have children, so my interests always take precedent next to priority, which is a luxury in this day and age.. To be able to pursue these things is a blessing, so I think the OP will be fine, he just needs to get with some like-minded individuals... & remember:

Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind..
Good points, one of the reasons many look back so fondly of their late teens - early 20's is because that's the "sweet spot" of your adult life, the time period when you have all the privileges of adulthood but very few of the responsibilities. So yes it's no wonder that many guys are dusting off their guitars after their kids have grown up and the house is paid off lol. and though the numbers are sadly much smaller A few women are also leaving the ratrace and going into their passions. 3 days ago I had a coffee date with a lady who sold her house for 500K(that she bought for 60K in 1996), and bought a plot of land for 8K out in the middle of nowhere and parked a camper trailer on it once her kids grew up and her house was close to being paid off. (the stress was making her miserable in her old career) now she sells her art in the form of posters and T-shirts and it turns out she is a very good artist. she does not make a killing but she makes enough to live on and she has not had to dip into the money she made selling the house.
(I hope it works out with her down to earth women like her are super rare down here)

Anyway I am glad I made this thread it gave me a great idea for a song last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC5Wv3dQ48A

Old 06-10-2023, 06:47 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,224,552 times
Quote:
You know I know people who make more on their side hustles than they do on their actual job and strangely they still call it their side hustle, granted it's usually a case where their side hustle makes more actual money but their day job has benefits one example is a guy I know who sups up car's and pimps out and jacks up 4x4's in his detached garage in his back yard, as his side hustle, and teaches auto mechanics for Dallas ISD as his day job. and it's not even close how much more his side hustle makes on average. the benefits is the only thing keeping him in the school system.
I know a lot of police officers that work in their official capacity part time so they can spend more time getting side work that pays better. When I worked as a mechanic side work payed better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships