Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 11:29 AM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times

Advertisements

Why do you want to change her? How would you feel if she wanted to change you?

If you want a relationship with someone, make sure you like them as is, not a project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 11:56 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboard19 View Post
I met someone that has some hard to find common interests. Personality wise I like her more than my ex-wife and past girlfriends.
Some of the reasons are: very much into healthy eating (semi vegan), fitness, religious, has lived and traveled abroad, works in same field as me, likes 70s-90s musical artists, multi-ethnic, happy personality.

the reasons to move on;
divorced twice, last marriage had abuse, easy & high spender, not a morning person, attends approx. 10 70s-90s bands concerts a month at age 50+ and will travel to see them up to 6 hrs away multiple nights if the band has a 3 day tour. I haven't done that many concerts in one year in my 20s. Told me she doesn't like to be told what to do in a conversation from out of nowhere. It felt like she was probably still upset at an ex or connected to him (abuse??). This leads me to think in previous relationships her guy did not like her addiction to see live bands every weekend or week night. Let me stress that she is a strict christian and won't engage in drugs, alcohol, pre or extramarital sex.

What's weird is the language fans use at concerts, drugs, alcohol, and extreme public displays of affection is very contradictory. I've met other christians or catholics (not on purpose...through work and leisure activities) and find their attitudes at times hypocritical to what they are taught to do, act, and who they are around.

Personally, I don't want any friend let alone GF who needs to attend weekly concerts. Especially if they've seen them previously or even recently. What can possibly be so new and surprising? Kind of like watching all the Seinfeld episodes or Fast & Furious movies again expecting something new.
LOL, ever hear of Dead heads? And followers of other bands who can't get enough.

It isn't unusual for a fan to see as many concerts as they can get in, even if the band plays the same sets. They will never be exactly the same, to these fans it's like a religious experience, and they get just as excited for every concert.

I wish I had gone to many more concerts in my younger years, I could have seen some of the greatest
modern music performances in history. I had the privilege of experiencing a few of them, and the memories are irreplaceable.

I am pretty conservative and I've seen some bad things happen at concerts. I'm not doing it though so why should I have to give up this music experience because of some misbehaving people. I've also experienced some really beautiful things with the crowd sharing the same vibe.

Heh, I could tell so many stories!

I could not do ten a month in my fifties though! That's just me. I also preferred the bands being younger too. But I paid some reallllly good money to see my favorite bands as they got older, before they retired or just got too old. I am so glad I did.

Old 07-15-2023, 05:08 PM

867 posts, read 456,506 times
Midlifing though , people can be all over the place and is skittish as all hell , they turn into a different person, it's not only some men that go through it. l'd be thinking that this is what the op is seeing the whole picture, it's not only just the concert thing. l wouldn't call it judging as such just seeing other sides to her he doesn't like , doesn't feel are compatible welllll, that's fair enough that's what it's all about at the start right.
But me personally, all the concert stuff alone would be turning me right off anyway.
Don't think many women in their 50s would want their man out there partying up at concerts full of hotties going off all over the country side every 5mins, some might like it and go too, but l wouldn't imagine many would. Mine wouldn't that is for sure, nor ex w.

Old 07-15-2023, 07:46 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Bolded is my emphasis... that is it in a nutshell!
Not. even. a. friend.

So the OP asking if they should "pursue" is beyond ludicrous!
I was gonna say-- OP answered their own question IN their OP... nothing to see here, move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Why do you want to change her? How would you feel if she wanted to change you?

If you want a relationship with someone, make sure you like them as is, not a project.
Exactly. OP has said outright that things about her are a dealbreaker for them, so I'm not sure why they're still asking us if they should stay with her, when they themself have said the answer is no. I mean, them staying would mean either they would expect her to change or they'd have to. Neither sounds very realistic. (And I'm wondering if her saying nobody tells her what to do is because OP has already voiced their opinion on these concerts...)

Old 07-15-2023, 10:52 PM

867 posts, read 456,506 times
That is true. You either like things about her or you don't.And really , however anyone wants to live, whatever the reason that doesn't really matter, it's up to them.
Bout it really.

Old 07-17-2023, 01:40 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,038,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboard19 View Post
I met someone that has some hard to find common interests. Personality wise I like her more than my ex-wife and past girlfriends.
Some of the reasons are: very much into healthy eating (semi vegan), fitness, religious, has lived and traveled abroad, works in same field as me, likes 70s-90s musical artists, multi-ethnic, happy personality.

the reasons to move on;
divorced twice, last marriage had abuse, easy & high spender, not a morning person, attends approx. 10 70s-90s bands concerts a month at age 50+ and will travel to see them up to 6 hrs away multiple nights if the band has a 3 day tour. I haven't done that many concerts in one year in my 20s. Told me she doesn't like to be told what to do in a conversation from out of nowhere. It felt like she was probably still upset at an ex or connected to him (abuse??). This leads me to think in previous relationships her guy did not like her addiction to see live bands every weekend or week night. Let me stress that she is a strict christian and won't engage in drugs, alcohol, pre or extramarital sex.

What's weird is the language fans use at concerts, drugs, alcohol, and extreme public displays of affection is very contradictory. I've met other christians or catholics (not on purpose...through work and leisure activities) and find their attitudes at times hypocritical to what they are taught to do, act, and who they are around.

Personally, I don't want any friend let alone GF who needs to attend weekly concerts. Especially if they've seen them previously or even recently. What can possibly be so new and surprising? Kind of like watching all the Seinfeld episodes or Fast & Furious movies again expecting something new.
That's what she enjoys and if that's a problem for you, then maybe you're just not a s compatible as you thought.

Old 07-17-2023, 01:57 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
If you like everything about her except for the fact she’s out at some concert every other night - befriend her, and wait and see. To me this sounds like a phase and she will soon get tired of all of those shows, and stabilize towards something more normal, like say 1 show a month

Talk to her too, maybe an ex was against concerts and now she’s making up for lost time. This will likely pass but given your opinion on her favorite activity, now is not the time to pursue a romantic relationship, just friendship.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:06 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
If you like everything about her except for the fact she’s out at some concert every other night - befriend her, and wait and see.
The OP has a whole paragraphs of complaints.... he just needs to move on.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:49 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
She's going to be nothing but headaches down the line, not all completely there mentally.
LOL!

And the guy who's decided he can't even be friends with this lady (who, by the way, hasn't asked to be friends or anything else at this point) isn't going to be a headache? LOL, again.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:18 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The OP has a whole paragraphs of complaints.... he just needs to move on.
Not to mention, while OP's waiting around hoping she'll change, she might meet someone else who doesn't expect her to change, or simply stop being into OP. Or maybe OP will miss out on someone *they're* more compatible with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships