Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 11:00 AM

595 posts, read 264,188 times

Advertisements

Lose her number. If she texts you again, block her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 11:33 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
Lose her number. If she texts you again, block her.
Why sever a relationship. Just because you broke up doesn’t mean you cannot be friendly. Cutting people out of your life is an immature way to get over a broken ego over a breakup. Unless the party did something very wrong.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:08 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper24 View Post
I texted her drunk at night a week ago. I asked her whats up and if she ever thinks about me. I apologized for texting her late and said I hope she is happy and that I won't text her again.

Now after a week she replied, apologized for not replying earlier, she's been going through tough times. She asked why I feel sorry for texting her and why I not want to reply again and said „It's fine if you don't answer. But if you change your mind, know that I don't have any negative feelings for you".

In the year since we broke up she reached out a few times but it was so empty and almost felt humiliating. She reached out again two months ago just to catch up after a year of no contact. I think that‘s why I had the feels to reach out to her last week.

I still cringe at the messages I sent. I regretted texting her so I just tried to act like nothing happened and moved on. I thought she wouldn't text me anymore but she did. I don’t even know if she genuinely wants to talk or just replied out of politeness. I don't want to get back together. I was just drunk and a little emotional and wanted to talk with her that night. What should I do?
Quit drinking. Get thee to AA. Booze never made anyone smarter.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:52 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,807,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Why sever a relationship. Just because you broke up doesn’t mean you cannot be friendly. Cutting people out of your life is an immature way to get over a broken ego over a breakup. Unless the party did something very wrong.
Not true, sometimes it needs to be done so you can get over the relationship and move on. Cutting someone out of your life does not mean you have ill will towards them, but it can be necessary especially if feelings are still involved, it's about healing not pettiness.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:53 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,807,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Quit drinking. Get thee to AA. Booze never made anyone smarter.
Because of one drunk text? That seems a bit extreme.

Old 07-17-2023, 03:00 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper24 View Post
I was just drunk and a little emotional and wanted to talk with her that night. What should I do?
Why did you want to talk with her? She is your ex for a reason.
If you don't want to get back together, then don't mess up with her head. She is going through tough times, don't take advantage of it.
Best - delete her number and other contacts and move on.
Don't text when you're drunk. Most people regret it when they sober up.

Old 07-17-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Not true, sometimes it needs to be done so you can get over the relationship and move on. Cutting someone out of your life does not mean you have ill will towards them, but it can be necessary especially if feelings are still involved, it's about healing not pettiness.
You can always request the person give you space for some time. That’s quite different to just cutting them off - eg blocking them.

One way is the mature way forward, and on the other side of the tunnel can lead to an interesting friendship. The other way is childish.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:55 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
But OP didn't feel a need for them to be "friendly" until they got drunk. That's not a reason to rekindle a relationship with someone.

The truth is that you don't have to keep every person you've ever known in your life forever just because you knew them once. And you can have plenty of fond memories of and goodwill for someone but still not feel the need to keep them in your life forever once you've moved on/bring them back later. It's okay to leave the past in the past. People's lives change, and friends/significant others come and go.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
But OP didn't feel a need for them to be "friendly" until they got drunk. That's not a reason to rekindle a relationship with someone.

The truth is that you don't have to keep every person you've ever known in your life forever just because you knew them once. And you can have plenty of fond memories of and goodwill for someone but still not feel the need to keep them in your life forever once you've moved on/bring them back later. It's okay to leave the past in the past. People's lives change, and friends/significant others come and go.
They obviously miss each other but that's besides the point, I was responding to the idea of "blocking" her.

No need to keep anyone in your life forever. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying why burn bridges, unless your ex did something horrible? You guys will naturally drift apart anyways (without the blocking). All blocking does is burn bridges, and treats your ex like an object. I never understood that. I have had many breakups (and 2 divorces), never did I block anyone. Never felt the need to do so either, like they're some spam caller. Keep the line open, you never know what the future has in hold for you. If you had a long intimate relationship with them, chances are they know you far better than even some of your closest friends.

All this goes without saying, if your ex did something horrible and irredeemable, such that you no longer view them as a good person, then sure block them.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:48 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I might suggest you quit drinking.
x2

#TA (TextalcoholicsAnonymous)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships