Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 08:40 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times

Advertisements

Had you known about this before you got married would you still have married your husband? Do you love him or did you get married in love with having children?

This is a disappointment, it's not the end of the world. Mourn it and take your time making any decisions about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 08:43 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I think that once the initial shock of this wears off, you will come to see that your hopes and dreams of parenting a child together can still happen.

If you need to get a second opinion on the genetic testing, do so. Experts sometimes get things wrong and it would be good to have this all verified.

You are fortunate that you are both still very young and you have the time to explore the options together.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:46 AM

422 posts, read 265,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm not exactly questioning your story, but cystic fibrosis is inherited through a gene from both parents. I'm a carrier, but my husband is not, so our children could not have CF.

So your husband being a CF carrier doesn't give your child "a higher chance" of having the disease. The only thing that gives your child ANY chance of having the disease is if YOU ALSO are a carrier. And then the odds would be 25% per child. Have you been tested?
This was my understanding as well.

OP, one bright side is that you found out right away! It seems like sperm donors and adoption are both your best options. Adopting out of foster care is inexpensive, and there are a lot of babies/kids that truly do need homes.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:48 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Your path to a joyful married life will be successful if you hold eachother’s hands, become creative in fulfilling your goals, always find humor and fun, and understand how fortunate you are to be two healthy adults with food in the fridge and a roof over your head.

After you have each licked your wounds, get busy in finding a solution you can agree on together. View this as a test of how you can work as a team to stand together in this life. Over the years, there will be many blows that will be difficult or impossible to address. This one is far from insurmountable.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:30 AM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I am very sorry.

There are many children who are looking for adoption. Maybe this is the way for you to go.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:38 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm not exactly questioning your story, but cystic fibrosis is inherited through a gene from both parents. There is no other way to get it. I'm a carrier, but my husband is not, so our children could not have CF.

So your husband being a CF carrier doesn't give your child "a higher chance" of having the disease. The only thing that gives your child ANY chance of having the disease is if YOU ALSO are a carrier. And then the odds would be 25% per child. Have you been tested?
I never knew this. thank you for sharing.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:47 AM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
It's only your perception that it's a bad thing not to have kids, your husband's inability to have children might work out for the best for you. Almost every family I know has problems and estrangement with other family members. 'Hope whatever is in your best interest happens for you, we never know how things will turn out.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:33 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialBeeSarah View Post
I feel life is cruel sometimes to people that don't deserve it.
Life is oftentimes cruel to people that don't deserve it. No one is immune to its cruelty.

I know that you're devastated but I hope that you're being there for your husband. He's feeling it on two fronts - he can't father children naturally and he feels as if he's failed his wife.

As another poster commented, both parents have to be carriers for CF to be passed to their child. If you're not a carrier, I'd recommend getting a second opinion.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:14 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think that once the initial shock of this wears off, you will come to see that your hopes and dreams of parenting a child together can still happen.

If you need to get a second opinion on the genetic testing, do so. Experts sometimes get things wrong and it would be good to have this all verified.

You are fortunate that you are both still very young and you have the time to explore the options together.
Exactly.

Life doesn't always go as planned.

And yes, artificial means are expensive and not certain. You might get pregnant with his or donated sperm the first time or you might not.

Adoption is an alternative. Its not inexpensive either, but neither is having a child through your own pregnancy.

We got married late and eventually tried in vitro unsuccessfully. Doctor said there was no reason it couldn't work, but he couldn't predict how many tries it might take. After 3 times we moved on to adoption. And our two children are a blessing. We can't imagine it any other way.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:34 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Some may think this song is kind of kitschy, but I've always loved it.

"Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens.
Promise me you that you'll give faith a fighting chance.
And when you get the chance to sit it out or dance,

I hope you'll dance....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozR3XL4cab0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships