Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 11:45 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,789,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
You should have asked him what brought that on after all these years, along with "and it turned out for the best in the long run."

Maybe as someone recently cheated on him and he's reflecting on when he's done that to people. Or, as someone else said, a 12 step program. Or he's dying, or or or ......no telling until you ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
He gave me a brief update, but nothing pertinent. It’s just weird, out of the blue, when we cross paths since we’re part of the same orbit. I never really trusted him re cheating. Too many opportunities and we weren’t THAT serious. He married the woman he cheated with.

She’s since divorced him. He has a silly comb-over hairstyle and flaunts his affluence, with young women on expensive dates.

He might have quit drinking, though I never detected a real problem. He looked fit and active on his profile when I checked.

I rarely think of him, but I was nice about his apology because he’s still clueless.
May be that it was out of the blue. But like E-Twist said, "You should have just asked him..."

And while *you* didn't detect a drinking problem 20+ years ago, a LOT can happen with drinking during that 20 years.

In any case, if you have no plans to contact him in the future, I'd simply be grateful for the apology, and stick it in the archives of my mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2023, 11:58 AM

24,513 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
He gave me a brief update, but nothing pertinent. It’s just weird, out of the blue, when we cross paths since we’re part of the same orbit. I never really trusted him re cheating. Too many opportunities and we weren’t THAT serious. He married the woman he cheated with.

She’s since divorced him. He has a silly comb-over hairstyle and flaunts his affluence, with young women on expensive dates.

He might have quit drinking, though I never detected a real problem. He looked fit and active on his profile when I checked.

I rarely think of him, but I was nice about his apology because he’s still clueless.
You are keeping up with him. Why?

Old 11-12-2023, 03:36 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You are keeping up with him. Why?
Not really. I saw it on Facebook, today — went through his profile to see if I could gather a few clues. I know the barest outline of these things because we cross paths occasionally. He rides his bike all over town.

Old 11-12-2023, 08:10 PM

187 posts, read 212,260 times
Sounds like he's just trying to clear his conscience.

Old 11-13-2023, 10:26 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
I don't think it is weird at all.

I have an ex whom I treated horribly. That was 28 years ago and I really wish I could clear my conscience and apologize.

I am guessing that every time he sees you, he feels guilty. Maybe he isn't that bad of a person after all and just doesn't want to take this guilt to his grave and wants to let you know that he has regrets. I would certainly feel weird if I cheated on someone and then years later see them and they are nice to me. Makes me feel even more like a dick if they are nice and not hostile/refuse to talk to me.

Old 11-13-2023, 01:22 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

I have an ex whom I treated horribly. That was 28 years ago and I really wish I could clear my conscience and apologize.

I am guessing that every time he sees you, he feels guilty. Maybe he isn't that bad of a person after all and just doesn't want to take this guilt to his grave and wants to let you know that he has regrets. I would certainly feel weird if I cheated on someone and then years later see them and they are nice to me. Makes me feel even more like a dick if they are nice and not hostile/refuse to talk to me.
Haha, that’s pretty funny. Yeah, I’ve always been nice and somewhat embarrassed when I saw him because I was honestly upset when we broke up. I didn’t know about the cheating. That’s his problem, not mine.

Old 11-13-2023, 03:00 PM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

100% agree here. I cheated on my high school sweetheart and to this day, almost 30 years later, I wish I could apologize for that behavior. I would love to be able to apologize for that and other things but I'm guessing she probably understands that a teen/20something male coming into his own probably wasn't mature enough to be able to handle a 100% monogamous relationship while away at different universities. Had we met 10+ years later after I'd grown up and got all of that nonsense out of my system I'm guessing we'd still be together.

Old 11-13-2023, 03:44 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
100% agree here. I cheated on my high school sweetheart and to this day, almost 30 years later, I wish I could apologize for that behavior.
unless she passed, you still can!

Old 11-13-2023, 07:58 PM

630 posts, read 296,636 times
I would guess the apology is more about himself than you. Just like when he cheated on you...all about HIM. he sounds pitiful at this point and he did you a favor 20 years ago.

Old 11-13-2023, 08:33 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,156,929 times
Maybe he's just trying to clean up some emotional debris that bothers him. While he sounds superficial, perhaps some past behaviors bother him and he's trying to make amends.
At any rate, IMO it's a plus. Take if for what it's worth. It sure beats him being crazy, by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships