Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 11:10 AM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times

Advertisements

I occasionally have visions of people one hundred years from now reading about the "social media craze" that swept through society during the first few decades of the 21st century, until it was recognized to have caused all sorts of harmful psychological effects and unacceptable behavior of its users, and simply became a tool of control and surveillance between corporation and state until it ultimately collapsed upon itself and was shut down.

"Why would people do that? Were they stupid?" will be the questions of the day in 2124.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 11:22 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRingo View Post
I've never blocked or unfollowed an ex in my entire life. Is like erasing that person from my history, like it never happened. Never understood that.
And usually it was the same with me. I didn't get blocked or unfollowed.
She's not in your life anymore. She doesn't need to be keeping tabs on what you're doing online. You had a relationship with her, and now you don't. Look at how her not watching your stories is affecting your mental health. It probably would be beneficial for you to block, unfriend, unfollow. The memories are in your head, not online.

Old 02-11-2024, 11:48 AM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
This reads like an episode of Black Mirror, where the social media gets implanted in your brain so you can replay, change, or delete certain scenes from your life. So bizarre.

Old 02-11-2024, 12:33 PM

28 posts, read 10,749 times
Sadly we are, social media is taking a toll and I am someone who doesn't share my relationships there. I usually post nonsense. She was even more than that.
But when she stopped it felt bad.

Old 02-11-2024, 02:17 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
When you break up with someone, they're out of your life and you're out of theirs. It's great if you both still want to be friends or in contact, but you shouldn't be surprised or think it unusual if it doesn't work that way.

Maybe she's also sad about the breakup but had to do it because it was what was best for her, and following you just makes her feel worse. I usually advise a clean and complete break when it's hard to get over someone. Maybe she's making many breaks with what her life was like before and trying to start anew. Maybe her therapist advised her to do it. You're putting way too much on this.

Do you have other friends? Spend time with them. Do you have hobbies? Spend time with them (or cultivate some if you don't). The less time you sit around doing nothing but thinking about her and your relationship and overanalyzing your relationship and everything that's happened since, the faster you will heal. I'll say what I said before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
move on.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Do you have other friends? Spend time with them. Do you have hobbies? Spend time with them (or cultivate some if you don't). The less time you sit around doing nothing but thinking about her and your relationship and overanalyzing your relationship and everything that's happened since, the faster you will heal. I'll say what I said before:
I do, and I am doing that, spend most of all of my free time with them. Hobbies, I have those, but I am slowly going into them. For the moment it's job and renovating my house, so my mind is very busy. But as Whitney said, when I go home at night, there is no one there no one waits for me.

My two cents is yes: either her therapist told her to do that, or she did it to get over me faster. But it hit me hard, like hard.

But the awkward part is that for a week now I randomly started talking with a woman. I have zero interest in rebound sex, rebound relationships anything. However, this woman is really really interesting. Hobbies, things she likes are similar to mine, work in the same industry and also very good looking. I would have been all over her if this wasn't the situation at the moment, we clicked instantly.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:24 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
I do, and I am doing that, spend most of all of my free time with them. Hobbies, I have those, but I am slowly going into them. For the moment it's job and renovating my house, so my mind is very busy. But as Whitney said, when I go home at night, there is no one there no one waits for me.
That's how life is for many people. Somehow they survive (some even prefer it). You can, too.

You have no hobbies or things to keep you busy at home? You don't read, write, watch TV, paint, knit, cook, play the piano, call friends or family, browse the internet, play video or computer games, do chores, work out, learn languages or calculus or history, listen to music, etc. etc. etc.?

Old 02-13-2024, 03:14 AM

Quote:
That's how life is for many people. Somehow they survive (some even prefer it). You can, too.

You have no hobbies or things to keep you busy at home? You don't read, write, watch TV, paint, knit, cook, play the piano, call friends or family, browse the internet, play video or computer games, do chores, work out, learn languages or calculus or history, listen to music, etc. etc. etc.?
I do.
All of them.
I am just slowly trying to do them. Baby steps.

Old 02-13-2024, 06:24 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:

My two cents is yes: either her therapist told her to do that, or she did it to get over me faster. But it hit me hard, like hard.

But the awkward part is that for a week now I randomly started talking with a woman. I have zero interest in rebound sex, rebound relationships anything. However, this woman is really really interesting. Hobbies, things she likes are similar to mine, work in the same industry and also very good looking. I would have been all over her if this wasn't the situation at the moment, we clicked instantly.
It’s the darnedest thing, isn’t it, when a good person comes along at the wrong time?

How about adopting a cat? They’re nice to come home to.

Old 02-13-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
It’s the darnedest thing, isn’t it, when a good person comes along at the wrong time?

How about adopting a cat? They’re nice to come home to.
It's absolutely terrible. It feels like a joke at times, this can't happen, but it does.
Can't get a cat because the owner where I live doesn't allow pets.

But I want to move in the next months and hopefully if it's pet friendly I might.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships