Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 06:07 PM

971 posts, read 688,204 times

Advertisements

I have been divorced headed on 15 years. I am in a long term relationship, but it doesn't compare to my married life. I often find myself sad after all these years at times and wish I was still in my old relationship. I miss the ex but would never trust her or want a relationship with her, but I miss what we had.

Any other guys here feel the same after 10+ years divorced? Usually some BS or Drama from the current GF triggers these feelings. My old life was drama free. I can't be the only one that feels this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 07:19 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I can understand that feeling completely. I miss some of the good things, but I don't miss nor forget the reasons we divorced. It's easy to remember the good stuff. I'm lucky to still be part of my mil and fil lives but haven't spoken to the ex in years.

Old 03-31-2024, 09:02 PM

27 posts, read 9,968 times
I hope you guys will re marry. Most men (and women) don't choose "right" the first time and that affects the second time, if they even take that chance again. Good luck, from a lady.

Old 03-31-2024, 11:23 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
It sounds to me as if your current relationship is not completely satisfactory. Your comment that your marriage was drama free, for example. Obviously something went wrong because you ended up divorced, but it doesn't sound like your current partner is right for you. If you were with the right person you wouldn't miss your old relationship.

Old 03-31-2024, 11:47 PM

867 posts, read 456,506 times
Yeah l thought the same thing op.
Myself, even though my new partner hasn't worked out now there were many times l felt v lucky to be in this and have our thing rather than the later parts of my marriage.
l do miss being married though and yeah l'd like to remarry if right person.

Old 04-01-2024, 03:53 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Wait, how is your old life so great if you got divorced from it..?

Old 04-01-2024, 09:45 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I have been divorced headed on 15 years. I am in a long term relationship, but it doesn't compare to my married life. I often find myself sad after all these years at times and wish I was still in my old relationship. I miss the ex but would never trust her or want a relationship with her, but I miss what we had.

Any other guys here feel the same after 10+ years divorced? Usually some BS or Drama from the current GF triggers these feelings. My old life was drama free. I can't be the only one that feels this way.
Hello my friend. Since I do know your story, I would like to add my two cents.

First, you don't know for how long your ex wife was unhappy and possibly had just given up to fight for the relationship. Would you have preferred to be in one of these loveless marriages where people live in the same household but try to avoid each other and live separate lives under the same roof? Take a minute, sit down and think back - was your married life really that great? If it was, you would still be together.

Second, our brains tend to remember the good stuff only. It is kind of tricking us. I used to tell people that my marriage was drama free, we never fought, he is a great guy but we were just too different. Then I met up with my ex husband again years later and after a few hours we started bickering and I suddenly remembered all the reasons why it did not work out. It gave me great closure.

I think your marriage ended abruptly and you never got closure, so maybe that's why it is harder for you to get over it. All I can say is that women don't usually wake up in the morning and decide to get divorced all of a sudden. We are often times unhappy for a long time until we pull the plug. It doesn't happen overnight. I guess she did not share your unhappiness with you or you did not think it was that serious until she actually left. So you never got a chance to at least try to fix what was broken.

Lastly, since you and I have shared our relationship details with each other - I think both of us have a broken picker. There are single, drama free people out there. We just don't pick them, we pick the crazy ones since we are also a little crazy. We are both young in our hearts and most people our age are way less adventurous. Life is more fun with the crazies but it usually comes with BS and drama. It was raining on the weekend here so we were drifting with our cars in an abandoned parking lot and also shot each other with soft bullet machine guns all throughout the house. It was super fun. Most people would not want to partake. The crazies do.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:09 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I have been divorced headed on 15 years...My old life was drama free.

If that were true, you wouldn't be divorced.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:19 AM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
I have been divorced now for 30 years, and while I remember both the good and the bad, and while I would never want to go back there, I do realize that I was the one who screwed things up, and that enables me to put my 30-years-of-exile into perspective.

For me it was simply that ( a ) I would rather be alone than with the wrong woman and ( b ) the right woman has not appeared, and there likely is no right woman for me. And I am okay with that.

There have been some serious relationships along the way, but none were sustainable. Each had its lessons and each provided growth. But those days/opportunities have passed. And yet there is happiness and contentment.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:29 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think your marriage ended abruptly and you never got closure, so maybe that's why it is harder for you to get over it. All I can say is that women don't usually wake up in the morning and decide to get divorced all of a sudden. We are often times unhappy for a long time until we pull the plug. It doesn't happen overnight. I guess she did not share your unhappiness with you or you did not think it was that serious until she actually left. So you never got a chance to at least try to fix what was broken.
I agree with this--what I've seen and experienced in a lot of relationships is that a woman trying to save a relationship will fight for it. When she stops fighting and trying to express herself, she's on her way out. Many men see this as, "oh, the drama's stopped, everything is fine" but it's definitely not fine. Then they feel blindsided when she packs up and leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships