Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 03:28 PM

971 posts, read 688,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
It sounds to me as if your current relationship is not completely satisfactory. Your comment that your marriage was drama free, for example. Obviously something went wrong because you ended up divorced, but it doesn't sound like your current partner is right for you. If you were with the right person you wouldn't miss your old relationship.
Oh i agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 07:06 AM

24,628 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Do I miss the good part about my marriage? Yes. Does that make me forget why we divorced? No.

Do I miss the previous relationship with good women I was with in my past? Yes. Does that make me forget why we broke up or didn't work? No.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:00 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,052,555 times
I was married 21 yrs and she can rot in hell. I going on 14 yrs divorced, currently in a long term relationship (7 yrs) We would be married but kids/house size keeps us separated

Do not ever want to go back to that

Old 04-02-2024, 12:44 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,042,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I have been divorced headed on 15 years. I am in a long term relationship, but it doesn't compare to my married life. I often find myself sad after all these years at times and wish I was still in my old relationship. I miss the ex but would never trust her or want a relationship with her, but I miss what we had.

Any other guys here feel the same after 10+ years divorced? Usually some BS or Drama from the current GF triggers these feelings. My old life was drama free. I can't be the only one that feels this way.
So you can't trust her and wouldn't want a relationship with her, but you miss what you had? There was no drama?

Old 04-02-2024, 12:57 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,042,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I agree with this--what I've seen and experienced in a lot of relationships is that a woman trying to save a relationship will fight for it. When she stops fighting and trying to express herself, she's on her way out. Many men see this as, "oh, the drama's stopped, everything is fine" but it's definitely not fine. Then they feel blindsided when she packs up and leaves.
This brings up something I never have understood. I was married once, for 28 years. From age 18 to 46 I stayed in a loveless, hopeless marriage. My husband was very cruel to me every day of my life. I was so codependent with him that I allowed this for years. However, toward the end, I grieved while I was still married. I did all my crying and venting very discretely. When I made up my mind, I did what I had been fantasizing about for YEARS and I asked him to either take over he note on the house and stay there, or please move out as soon as possible.

He moved and we divided everything amicably and that was that. I see him quite a lot at my kid's homes, we get along great, a lot better than when we were married.

My question was, why was he so hurt when I wanted a divorce? Why did he beg and beg and tell me how much he loved me and wanted me and he was just pitiful, it really was bad. I never looked back, I never cried the first tear once I split from him. It's been almost 20 years now and I thank God every time I see him that I'm not dealing with him anymore. Sometimes we grieve before we leave was the point I was making. Sorry I ran around Laura's house LOL. Yeah, I would say he was blindsided for sure.

Old 04-02-2024, 01:01 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,497,700 times
Quote:
I have been divorced headed on 15 years. I am in a long term relationship, but it doesn't compare to my married life. I often find myself sad after all these years at times and wish I was still in my old relationship. I miss the ex but would never trust her or want a relationship with her, but I miss what we had.

Any other guys here feel the same after 10+ years divorced? Usually some BS or Drama from the current GF triggers these feelings. My old life was drama free. I can't be the only one that feels this way.
I don't know your age now, but 15+ years ago you were younger, had more energy, and probably did a lot of cooler things. So is what you missing your ex or that moment of time when you were younger and fresher and still exploring the world? Think about it.

Old 04-02-2024, 01:22 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:

Ninee years for me and I feel the same way. I cannot move on. No desire to date anyone again.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:44 PM

283 posts, read 58,015 times
As you get older it becomes more and more difficult to find a suitable partner. Starting a blended family is much more complicated than being both single. Also, when you get old and get used to being alone, you get uncomfortable with another person and you don't fit well together.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:40 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Wait, how is your old life so great if you got divorced from it..?

That was my observation. Low monthly payments of drama, but with a balloon payment of it at the end.

Marriage is already a bit nonsensical as it is with no fault divorce. The "hot, poor one" can secure the finance but the rich one cannot secure their side. Women more and more have financial supremacy. We don't see them marrying pool boys , and when they do, they have the same problem. Some wealthy celebs do pay out manimony.

Secondly, marriage had nothing to do with love . It was financial planning for the offspring.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:04 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
This brings up something I never have understood. I was married once, for 28 years. From age 18 to 46 I stayed in a loveless, hopeless marriage. My husband was very cruel to me every day of my life. I was so codependent with him that I allowed this for years. However, toward the end, I grieved while I was still married. I did all my crying and venting very discretely. When I made up my mind, I did what I had been fantasizing about for YEARS and I asked him to either take over he note on the house and stay there, or please move out as soon as possible.

He moved and we divided everything amicably and that was that. I see him quite a lot at my kid's homes, we get along great, a lot better than when we were married.

My question was, why was he so hurt when I wanted a divorce? Why did he beg and beg and tell me how much he loved me and wanted me and he was just pitiful, it really was bad. I never looked back, I never cried the first tear once I split from him. It's been almost 20 years now and I thank God every time I see him that I'm not dealing with him anymore. Sometimes we grieve before we leave was the point I was making. Sorry I ran around Laura's house LOL. Yeah, I would say he was blindsided for sure.
I think this happens a lot. That's how my marriage ended as well. At the time we split, I was already over him, because I was unhappy for years. He was also completely in shock and blindsided. It's been 12 years and he still is.

And I thought "How is that possible??? Did he really think, we are going on like this forever?" We went to marriage counseling, I started many fights, I complained, I begged, I nagged, I threatened, ..... and he is surprised I left???

I think some men either did not have a father figure at all when they grew up or grew up with loveless parents and they just think, that's how every day life is in a marriage. And they get comfortable with that situation. They do their own thing, maybe pull back emotionally, watch more tv/other hobbies/work more/drink more and ignore that there is a problem.

But no woman in a healthy relationship just gets up and leaves because she is suddenly unhappy.

Yes, maybe there was no drama with your ex wife, but did you still do fun stuff together, laugh together, regular intimacy, cuddle, massage each other, surprise each other, text each other nice stuff, random kisses and hugs .... I bet there wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships