Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:08 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Just curious what people think about couples who stay together for the kids. Do you think it's a good idea? When do you think they should/should not.
No not a good idea, my parents did that for us and I swore I would never do the same if I was in that position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:41 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
No not a good idea, my parents did that for us and I swore I would never do the same if I was in that position.
My parents didn't and I would never volunteer to do the same. My kids are the reason I'm not divorced now. Too bad we can't have it both ways and compare.

As a child of divorce, we faced financial difficulties and sharing our parents. I missed a lot compared to my friends who had both parents at home. Even those whose parents didn't get along. I would have traded places with them in a heart beat to have had both parents available all the time.

There is something to be said about parents who consider their children important enough to stay together for them.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:49 AM

15 posts, read 36,753 times
My mom stayed with my dad for 17 years. She left when I was 13. So I endured 13 years of seeing their bad relationship and then had to endure their divorce. At the time, I was happy they divorced so I didn't have to hear them fight anymore. I am now 27 years old and horrible at relationships myself, which probably comes from growing up in an unhappy house. I am so afraid I am going to end up like them and I refuse to put a child though that. People need to think a little harder before they decide to reproduce.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Just curious what people think about couples who stay together for the kids. Do you think it's a good idea? When do you think they should/should not.
bad, bad, bad idea to stay together for the kids
because then EVERYONE is made miserable: both adults + x number of kids

my parents stayed together "for the kids" and all 4 of us were miserable

it sends so many unhealthy messages to the kids: "it's your fault we are all miserable" (kids are emotional barometers to anger, happiness, joy, misery, all of it); "life and marriage are meant to be miserable" along with "don't bother trying to be happy, just settle for misery, this is as good as it gets."

Resentment grows, misery grows, it is living hell.
At least in separate households there can be peace (not guaranteed, but in a "we are staying together for the kids" there is no peace or happiness and that IS a guarantee)

that is why i chose to leave my marriage rather than "stay together for the kids" because that is not what i believe about life for myself, nor is it the message i wanted to send my kids. That was 16 years ago and it has proven to be an excellent decision for me, and for my children

Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisonann15 View Post
My mom stayed with my dad for 17 years. She left when I was 13. So I endured 13 years of seeing their bad relationship and then had to endure their divorce. At the time, I was happy they divorced so I didn't have to hear them fight anymore. I am now 27 years old and horrible at relationships myself, which probably comes from growing up in an unhappy house. I am so afraid I am going to end up like them and I refuse to put a child though that. People need to think a little harder before they decide to reproduce.
Talk about getting the worst of both worlds.

My parents divorced when I was a baby. I struggle with relationships (trust issues) as a result. I have to laugh when people claim a parent's subsequent relationship models a good relationship for the kids. I'm afraid I modeled my relationships after my parents not my mom and step dad or dad and step mom. I think the default is your own parents and if their relationship is dysfunctional, you're likely to continue the theme. If subsequent relationships mattered, the divorce rate wouldn't be so much higher for children of divorce.

You are wise to not have kids in a bad relationship.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:28 PM

Side question, why is staying together for the kids associated with fighting? You don't have to fight or be miserable. Those are choices. You can choose to peacefully coexist for the sake of the kids.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisonann15 View Post
I so agree with this to some degree. I grew up with a father who was an alcoholic. There was nothing more that I wished for than for them to divorce. I remember begging my mother to get a divorce so we didn't have to go through all the crap. Things hit rock bottom as I graduated high school. They did end up divorcing but I remember wishing it had happened years earlier.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:52 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,521 times
Quote:
My parents didn't and I would never volunteer to do the same. My kids are the reason I'm not divorced now. Too bad we can't have it both ways and compare.

As a child of divorce, we faced financial difficulties and sharing our parents. I missed a lot compared to my friends who had both parents at home. Even those whose parents didn't get along. I would have traded places with them in a heart beat to have had both parents available all the time.

There is something to be said about parents who consider their children important enough to stay together for them.
My parents divorced when I was 18 - wish they had done it sooner. My opinion is that a child is better off with one happy parent even if they don't have two pennies to rub together than two miserable argueing parents and everything they want. Yes I have been in both situations.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:52 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I agree. My parents stayed together because it cost less. They are like roommates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
My parents divorced when I was 18 - wish they had done it sooner. My opinion is that a child is better off with one happy parent even if they don't have two pennies to rub together than two miserable argueing parents and everything they want. Yes I have been in both situations.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,726 times
Great post! Thats so difficult. I always say..happiness is priceless! Divorce is best and healthier..the children will manage and eventually understand why mom and dad had to go their seperate ways. You want your children to grow up understanding the meaning of respect and what a healthy relationship is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships