Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 AM

812 posts, read 2,307,522 times

Advertisements

I have to agree w/ the other ladies as well.

It's is our experiences that have made us feel the way we feel and be that as it may, we chose the way we want to live and what makes us happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 03:05 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
watch Joy Luck Club

Old 07-01-2008, 03:17 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,522 times
That movie was nothing like my real life.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:19 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
Ditto.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:28 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
We go to movies to escape reality so I would be surprised if it's like anybody's "real life" but come on now, if someone actually crticized my Mom that all she needs in her white sauce fish dish is a little more soy sauce, I can tell you right now she would not be a happy camper!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_myself_and_i View Post
I am in a relationship with an asian male. I am a white girl. We seem to be having a lot of issues. He was raised in strict chinese family (CA) and I didn't have much parenting growing up. I have always been independent and learned how to do everything on my own. I have been married twice and have a daughter. Can anyone give me some insight on the asian or chinese culture so that I might be able to find a way to keep the relationship together?
I haven't read through all the posts but I've skimmed through enough and I just want to say you need to realize everybody's experience is different. The bottom line is, if whatever your problems may be are deal breakers than either fix it or move on.

Generally speaking, I think Asians are very family oriented. Boys in the family tend to be more valued than girls but even that has changed. I'm Chinese (girl) and my two brothers have always gotten more of the "respect" in the family but I was spoiled rotten and have always gotten whatever I wanted. I think my parents love for me is more of a parent-child relationship whereas with my bros it was more of peer-to-peer relationship.

Also, some things that people have described (ie Asian guys being a “Mama’s boyâ€) isn’t just an Asian thing but crosses a lot of cultures. Yes, I do know Asian guys like that but I’ve known men of other races the same exact way. That’s a “how a mother raised her son†thing not a “race†thing, IMO.

I was serious about Joy Luck Club though. You’ll get an idea of how things work. There’s also another movie called “Better Luck Tomorrow†about a whole bunch of Asian kids living in CA and it’ll shed a different light on the Asian perspective, I think.

I read your post and laughed because I have a very dear friend, who is also Chinese, and she is very independent and free-spirited and tells me she wants to find a Chinese guy to marry who will not be intimidated by her personality. All the guys recently that she has dated are non-Asian. Maybe there is some truth behind all the posts.

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:44 AM

42 posts, read 104,272 times
Cross culture relationships are like most other relationships. You gotta know what you want from the other person b4 u tie the knot.

And if there are some things that you cant see eye to eye. Work it out. If that too doesnt work, compromise, or leave nursing your heart.

i'm open more to having a caucasian hubby than i am to one from my own pool. For certain reasons.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:44 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
all the Chinese I know that married white women ended up in a divorce

Im surprized a traditional Chinese guy would even consider a relationship with a twice married white woman? your considered damaged goods to asians

Old 08-10-2008, 12:04 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
all the Chinese I know that married white women ended up in a divorce
My Chinese uncle married a white woman. They were the perfect match. They were college sweethearts. He was a math major and she was an art major. She did learn how to cook and speak Chinese well though. My whole Chinese family approved and they are a very cool couple.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:26 PM

42 posts, read 104,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_myself_and_i View Post
I am in a relationship with an asian male. I am a white girl. We seem to be having a lot of issues. He was raised in strict chinese family (CA) and I didn't have much parenting growing up. I have always been independent and learned how to do everything on my own. I have been married twice and have a daughter. Can anyone give me some insight on the asian or chinese culture so that I might be able to find a way to keep the relationship together?
advice from me:

curry the mother's favor like she's the ceo of the company you wish to join. And always refuse gifts till the last moment and accept grudgingly.

Do not eat first, put food in the plate of your elders for them first and also for your guy.

Do not present gifts that are too expensive. Anything that tells the time is a strict no no. Its like giving a message to the elders that their 'time is up'.

the chinese are very food oriented, you should praise the mum's food alot and even though she denies her cooking prowess vehemently you should aggressively say the food's good.

Hmm... what else... i need inspiration to type more...

Old 08-10-2008, 12:33 PM

112 posts, read 569,326 times
Default ...

Hm... the lady has experience with the Asian family, no?

Priceless tidbits.

"Do not eat first..." Could that be one reason Asian femmes are so svelte?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships