Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:49 AM

148 posts, read 644,853 times

Advertisements

I was walking through a shopping mall and observed a very professional attractive African American Women was making her way through the store and a African American Man who looked like a Hip Hip Artist went up the women and said, "you are fine looking" "I want to date you" The women seemed like she had seen this all before and quickly dispatched the man who did not seem to be of the same style or social class she was.

It did make me think though because it had been a long time since I have seen someone attempt to pick someone up in a public place. In an era of video dating, speed dating, singles parties and Internet personals, it seems like the old fashioned pick up attempt is dead. Ame I wrong?

Has someone attempted to puck you up and do you think it is more common in certain ethnic groups like african americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 12:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I was walking through a shopping mall and observed a very professional attractive African American Women was making her way through the store and a African American Man who looked like a Hip Hip Artist went up the women and said, "you are fine looking" "I want to date you" The women seemed like she had seen this all before and quickly dispatched the man who did not seem to be of the same style or social class she was.

It did make me think though because it had been a long time since I have seen someone attempt to pick someone up in a public place. In an era of video dating, speed dating, singles parties and Internet personals, it seems like the old fashioned pick up attempt is dead. Ame I wrong?

Has someone attempted to puck you up and do you think it is more common in certain ethnic groups like african americans?
It can happen if you actually walk on the streets which is not common in my neck of the woods. Guess the malls can be exceptions. In my experience, it's possible to come across a creep or two, but nobody worth mentioning. I'd imagine it might be different among the Latin community as their males are normally more vocal on the streets, but even though Tucson attempts to claim diversity, in truth it's pretty segregated and I wouldn't know. We hardly have any Blacks, so no idea there...

Old 06-22-2008, 12:38 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post

When I was in my 20's, one black guy tried that technique on me, right in the middle of Central Square in Cambridge. He also reached out and stroked my upper arm and told me that Asian women had silky soft skin. Needless to say, I was totally grossed out and walked quickly away from him.

I would never ever consider dating a man that walked up to me and straight out wanted to date me based solely on my looks and before I opened my mouth. And I certainly would not accept a date with a man based solely on his looks and with that sort of pick up line so focused on sexual attraction. That would be plain stupid and even dangerous. I also don't believe in fairy tale love at first sight true love.

I don't think that it's a black thing. In terms of it happening in a public area think that it's more part of an urban culture thing. The same approach is also seen in clubs and bars that cater to the singles crowd. Also when the guys have been drinking...

Old 06-22-2008, 01:05 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
When I was in my 20's, one black guy tried that technique on me, right in the middle of Central Square in Cambridge. He also reached out and stroked my upper arm and told me that Asian women had silky soft skin. Needless to say, I was totally grossed out and walked quickly away from him.

I would never ever consider dating a man that walked up to me and straight out wanted to date me based solely on my looks and before I opened my mouth. And I certainly would not accept a date with a man based solely on his looks and with that sort of pick up line so focused on sexual attraction. That would be plain stupid and even dangerous. I also don't believe in fairy tale love at first sight true love.

I don't think that it's a black thing. In terms of it happening in a public area think that it's more part of an urban culture thing. The same approach is also seen in clubs and bars that cater to the singles crowd. Also when the guys have been drinking...
The difference between the street pick-up and clubs is a big one in my mind. In a most cases, if you are single, and at a club, you are there to meet people of the opposite sex among other things. Sure, you may be there to dance and have a few drinks, but in most cases (not all) you are also there to meet someone or hook up or something. That's part of the club scene.

On the street though, more likely than not you are going about your own business, and NOT there to meet people of the opposite sex. Now, as a man, I'd have no problem with a girl walking up to me on the street to flirt . But I'd never walk up to a girl like that unless it was SUPER clear there was some kind of mutual attraction, because otherwise she's going to just be creeped out and tell me to get lost.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:24 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Just make sure there is mutual attraction like eye contact and smiling before you flirt or pick people up....treat people well and not like sex machines too. I hate being treated like I'm nothing but a giver of sex or giver of foreplay (which I am not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
The difference between the street pick-up and clubs is a big one in my mind. In a most cases, if you are single, and at a club, you are there to meet people of the opposite sex among other things. Sure, you may be there to dance and have a few drinks, but in most cases (not all) you are also there to meet someone or hook up or something. That's part of the club scene.

On the street though, more likely than not you are going about your own business, and NOT there to meet people of the opposite sex. Now, as a man, I'd have no problem with a girl walking up to me on the street to flirt . But I'd never walk up to a girl like that unless it was SUPER clear there was some kind of mutual attraction, because otherwise she's going to just be creeped out and tell me to get lost.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:14 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,846 times
I "pick up" a few at laundry mats and supermarkets. I just act dumb. Women eat it up that they know more about fruits, vegatables, folding or why you seperate. I was sitting there in a laundry next to a very attractive lady and decided to just once fold eveything.. She went crazy! I explained my ex used to do laundry for me, and my mom before that. She went into her Home-ec mode and I acted attentivee but clueless, making sure to get it wrong here and there, but be trying real hard. Then I thanked her and asked her if I could repay her with dinner. We're still lightly seeing each other a year later.

Church is big! A man who goes to church by himself? Has a job, likes kids? You have your pick of the single women..LOL

Old 06-22-2008, 02:17 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Back in NYC in the day I saw lots of guys hitting on women on the street. It ranged from a whistle or an air-kiss to actually stepping in front of them and blocking their way.

To me, that's low class. But that's just my opinion. Even though I was on the streets every day and saw plenty of gorgeous women I confined my pick-up attempts to, as Artsy said, those that gave a positive go-ahead sign.

Besides, I never could make those lip-smacking sounds without feeling like a jerk...

Old 06-22-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
I "pick up" a few at laundry mats and supermarkets. I just act dumb...

Church is big! A man who goes to church by himself? Has a job, likes kids? You have your pick of the single women..LOL
You dog, you!

Do you offer tutoring?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:25 PM

52,250 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Back in NYC in the day I saw lots of guys hitting on women on the street. It ranged from a whistle or an air-kiss to actually stepping in front of them and blocking their way.

To me, that's low class. But that's just my opinion. Even though I was on the streets every day and saw plenty of gorgeous women I confined my pick-up attempts to, as Artsy said, those that gave a positive go-ahead sign.

Besides, I never could make those lip-smacking sounds without feeling like a jerk...
Yeah I completely agree. I see dudes doing that kind of stuff, I actually cringe with embarrassement for them.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah I completely agree. I see dudes doing that kind of stuff, I actually cringe with embarrassement for them.
Maybe like Miu said it's an urban culture thing...although I lived in the city for seven years, I never really got into the street-culture stuff. I always marched to my own drummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships