Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:25 PM

213 posts, read 784,273 times

Advertisements

not a "saying", but phrasing at the checkout:

"Will that be all?"

Is that question some kind of salesperson-jedi mind trick? Are they trying to get me to buy more now that I've made my purchasing decisions and am about to pay for them? It "irks" me because they most likely provided no salesmanship to me up to this point and they seem to think at this late moment in the process they are being helpful???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 05:59 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stace08 View Post

"Will that be all?"

Is that question some kind of salesperson-jedi mind trick? Are they trying to get me to buy more now that I've made my purchasing decisions and am about to pay for them? It "irks" me because they most likely provided no salesmanship to me up to this point and they seem to think at this late moment in the process they are being helpful???
This is kinda...I don't know. I appreciate them asking that, because there are random times when I couldn't find something and there aren't any sales reps, so I ask at the checkout and they'll get someone to go get it for me. Or I need clarification on a price and they'll get a price check.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:30 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Do -- I don't do the chicken salad from Frank's Deli. Do you do whip cream on your pie? I don't do McDonald's.

Thank you much, or thanks much.

Saying thank you at inappropriate times. My GF actually says thank you when she hands the toll booth attendent money. Why!?! Hey, thanks for taking my money so that I can continue down the highway.

The term my bad.

Gig, when used in reference for a job.

You go girl. Yeah, you go on and get lost.

Oh no you didn't.

You don't know me.

Baby momma, baby daddy.

I know that there is more....

Old 07-12-2008, 06:35 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've got a question for the board.

In everyday dealings with people whether at work or stores etc., people seem to have saying that irritate me at times.

Take for example if your joking around with someone and you call them a jerk. Then when that persons says "hey I resemble that"

Or another recently was I accidentally bumped into someone and then apologized. The person said "No worries". First of all were not in Australia, second I've got plenty of worries

While I'm ranting, I also hate the phrase "hook-up". It just sounds so cheap and tacky.

I'm I being a harsh or do other people have "sayings" that kind of grind on you.

BTW if you use these sorry in advance.
I also detest hook-up it's a fishing term. I liked booty call for a while, but now prefer natty boo.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:44 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
"It is what it is."

"Honey, while you were in Iraq...I sort of got pregnant...."

"WHAT?"

Well, "It is what it is."

"Sir, I need a raise."

"Sorry, we can't give you a raise."

"Why not?"

Well..."It is what it is."

It's the ultimate cop out sentence. That's what it is. It adds NOTHING to the conversation.

Haa haa .. my old boss used to say that all of the time.. and yeap.. she wasnt worth the dime they were paying her to be there.. and she was using it as a cop out... LOL

Old 07-12-2008, 06:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Take for example if your joking around with someone and you call them a jerk. Then when that persons says "hey I resemble that"
I just noticed it somewhere on the forum. What's the deal with that? I take it they can't tell the difference between "resent" and "resemble"...

Quote:
While I'm ranting, I also hate the phrase "hook-up". It just sounds so cheap and tacky.
hate, hate, hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Baby Daddy, Baby Momma
I'd never heard of this one before a recent thread on the forum. It's amazing how much it enriches my vocabulary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Like, I know, right? Like I KNOW, right? Like, I know, RIGHT? Like, I KNOW, RIGHT? *BAM*
yuck, yuck, yuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Huh? You know what I'm sayin............ yeah, and uh, you know what I'm sayin..............................you know what I'm sayin?
yuck, yuck, yuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
"Happy Hump Day!" or "TGIF!"
Eeehh, what's wrong with a little happiness...?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
"I could care less."

It irks me because it's used incorrectly. The correct phrase is, "I couldn't care less." Nine times out of then when this phrase is used, it's used incorrectly.
It's kind of a tie on this one depending on the sources.

Which is correct: I could care less or I couldn't care less?
The expression I could not care less originally meant 'it would be impossible for me to care less than I do because I do not care at all'. It was originally a British saying and came to the US in the 1950s. It is senseless to transform it into the now-common I could care less. If you could care less, that means you care at least a little. The original is quite sarcastic and the other form is clearly nonsense. The inverted form I could care less was coined in the US and is found only here, recorded in print by 1966. The question is, something caused the negative to vanish even while the original form of the expression was still very much in vogue and available for comparison - so what was it? There are other American English expressions that have a similar sarcastic inversion of an apparent sense, such as Tell me about it!, which usually means 'Don't tell me about it, because I know all about it already'. The Yiddish I should be so lucky!, in which the real sense is often 'I have no hope of being so lucky', has a similar stress pattern with the same sarcastic inversion of meaning as does I could care less.

Dictionary.com

"I couldn’t care less." CORRECT! « The Grammar Vandal

I'm irritated the most by "like"-infested speech. Oh, that's in addition to coworkers' "how are you?" pronounced with intonation implying it's a question and accompanied by longing for an answer eyes early-early in the morning.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:59 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
I love The Carin Continuum in your second link, Sierra!

Old 07-12-2008, 08:37 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,118 times
"At this point in time" drives me nuts. How about just saying "now" since that's what you mean?

"Reach out" when what they really mean is to call, to email or otherwise contact. Quit trying to put a personal touch on a business situation. (I know one company that seems to have put this phrase in their Customer Service handbook.)

Oh, and the "I resemble that remark" is a famous Three Stooges line. It's supposed to be funny but I wouldn't be surprised if some who use it aren't aware that the word is being purposely misused.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:40 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
When people call little boys "buddy".
Yeah...right? (as in, I know) not the other way as in (no way)
Per say
Well, ok then

Old 07-12-2008, 08:54 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stace08 View Post

"Will that be all?"

LOL, or the "Did you find everything ok?"

One day I said NO I didn't find everything you were out of this and I couldn't find that. The clerk said " Yah, we're a small store we"re always out of things and they just did some remodeling, thats probably why you can't find it."
She did not offer any assistance. I asked her why she asks if I found everything, if when I say no they offer no help. She said.. "we're supposed to ask". Maybe they should train their "robots" how to follow up after asking that question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships