Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,234,998 times

Advertisements

I was reading this article about arranged marriages on my break and also saw a similar movie recently and decided to start this discussion.

Here are a couple of paragraphs from it:

Because women go into arranged marriages knowing that they have to learn to love their spouse, they focus on his positive qualities and let go of the little things that don’t really matter. Instead of dwelling on Why didn’t he do that?, they look for what he did right. “It changes the whole relationship dynamic,” Seth says. “When you’re appreciative toward your spouse, he reciprocates.”

Since arranged marriages don’t arise from traditional courtship, the women who enter them toss their expectations of traditional displays of romance (think fancy, candlelit dinners). They value little acts of love – like when he gives you the bigger half of the piece of cake – which can often be even more meaningful.

Redbook

Since we all know what the divorce rate is in our society where people enter marriages mostly for romantic reasons, which in itself is a fairly recent phenomenon leading to much misunderstanding about the assignment of the roles in them, would anybody actually consider trying an arranged marriage? In the movie I mentioned - Fox Searchlight - The Namesake - Official Site - an Indian guy moves to the US first alone and then goes back to India to find a wife. The two families got together each praising its offspring and that was all that happened before the wedding… These people really grew to love each other. They weren’t demonstrative in showing affection (perhaps it’s not part of the culture), but you could tell how deeply they care for each other. Of course, being alone in a foreign country fending for yourselves does create a strong bond as well, but it wouldn’t be the only reason. Seems like calmer love always wins over the quick non-lasting sparks a lot of us mistake for love and for basis for getting married.

What do you think? Would you hypothetically consider it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:42 PM

36,627 posts, read 30,953,043 times
Yes. After some of the losers Ive been with, I've often said my parents would have done a better job of picking a mate for me.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,219,625 times
The Zulus used to have this elaborate ceremonies where all the boys and girls of age all gathered together in one place. They would dance this long and complicated dance that would last for hours, changing up order, etc. etc. At the end, the boys would form one line and the girls would form another. And who wound up across from you was your spouse.

Not very personal. Not very romantic. Not how I'd want to choose a spouse. But it sure eliminated all that wasted time and energy.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,219,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes. After some of the losers Ive been with, I've often said my parents would have done a better job of picking a mate for me.
Heck no. Considering some of the women my mother thought would be perfect for me, I don't think so. I don't know why, but she always had a preference for girls who giggled a lot and talked like babies. And yet she had me for a son. Go figure.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,115,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The Zulus used to have this elaborate ceremonies where all the boys and girls of age all gathered together in one place. They would dance this long and complicated dance that would last for hours, changing up order, etc. etc. At the end, the boys would form one line and the girls would form another. And who wound up across from you was your spouse.

Not very personal. Not very romantic. Not how I'd want to choose a spouse. But it sure eliminated all that wasted time and energy.
The movie Zulu has a good example of this, I think, at the beginning (before things get a bit more violent). I love listening to the chanting/music.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Sounds nice and simple.

Quote:
Heck no. Considering some of the women my mother thought would be perfect for me, I don't think so. I don't know why, but she always had a preference for girls who giggled a lot and talked like babies. And yet she had me for a son. Go figure.
Perhaps you took after you Dad... Then again, not too many men are giggly and talk like babies. I'm a woman and I can't stand such women. Sometimes I feel I have some wrong chromosomes.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:35 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,956,070 times
Heck no! My judgement is a lot better than my mothers, I couldn't imagine what she would have brought home, very scary I'm practical, my Mom, not so much.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
Heck no! My judgement is a lot better than my mothers, I couldn't imagine what she would have brought home, very scary I'm practical, my Mom, not so much.
Ha! You'd think mothers should be more practical... but yeah, I know that's not always the case.

Perhaps a decision can be made based on whether one's parents' marriage was happy or not.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:40 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,270,859 times
When my husband went to ask my father for my hand in marriage, my dad told him " I knew from the minute I first met you when you were 12, that you were the one for my daughter."

My mother would have probably arranged a marriage for me in the parking lot of a Grateful Dead show...judgment not so great.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
When my husband went to ask my father for my hand in marriage, my dad told him " I knew from the minute I first met you when you were 12, that you were the one for my daughter."
Wow, total agreement!

Quote:
My mother would have probably arranged a marriage for me in the parking lot of a Grateful Dead show...judgment not so great.
Did she like him as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships