Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:03 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,085,744 times

Advertisements

Pretty hard to say..some people never get over a love, a crush. I was told by a 45 yr old woman she's had a crush on me since 3rd grade.

here's an example of it almost becoming an obsession!...

Jan Smithers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 04:06 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Pretty hard to say..some people never get over a love, a crush. I was told by a 45 yr old woman she's had a crush on me since 3rd grade.

here's an example of it almost becoming an obsession!...

Jan Smithers
You stud you! Go on with your bad self!

Old 08-01-2008, 04:12 PM

521 posts, read 1,630,171 times
I took me less than a month to get over a 3+ year relationship.
It all ended when my buddies said, "we're taking you to vegas."

Since then Ive lived by the motto of:
We are all tiny spectacles on this earth inhabited by billions of people. Our problems are miniscule compared to others, and there are bigger things in this universe to be worried about. Move on. There are millions of other women on earth.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:21 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
10 years

Old 08-01-2008, 04:24 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
There is one that I have been struggling to forget for almost 25 years. sometimes you don't get over them.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:16 AM

323 posts, read 788,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
I took me less than a month to get over a 3+ year relationship.
It all ended when my buddies said, "we're taking you to vegas."

Since then Ive lived by the motto of:
We are all tiny spectacles on this earth inhabited by billions of people. Our problems are miniscule compared to others, and there are bigger things in this universe to be worried about. Move on. There are millions of other women on earth.
Lol.. I am a woman.

It's funny because I haven't gone through heartache like this in over ten years. Before The Jerk came along, I would silently judge some of my friends that were going through heart ache thinking "Just accept that it's over and move on!" But now that I'm going through it, I realize that moving on is a lot easier said than done. When I first started trying to get over him after he told me he didn't have feelings for me anymore, I tried to rush the healing process and it made it so much worse.

I agree that there are bigger things in the universe to be worried about, but unfortunately, I'm human and I can't control that I'm in pain over this situation. Trust me, I am definitely not choosing to feel this way.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:28 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times
It all depends on the person and the situation...

I was engaged to a total jerk while I was in college... I finally woke up and realized we would only end up getting divorced and it would be horrible... but I still loved him. I was young, started to date again- out of a need to go out and get my mind off of HIM.. and I realized there were so many better guys out there and I was having a good time looking. Not that I jumped into a relationship- but I dated- went to dinners had great conversations and made some good friends out of it.... 8 months after I called off my wedding I was ready to really be serious again, placed an ad on the internet- met some really odd people - and JUST when I was about to pull the ad one came along that was too good to be true... just had to meet this guy...5 weeks later we were engaged... Going on our 7th year of marriage and we have two great kids.... so it all depends and it will happen... you gotta help yourself out of it though... go out, have fun, keep an open mind... the wound will soon heal...

Old 08-02-2008, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,965 times
Sometimes you just have to move on and it time you may get over it. I'm about to get married and just realized that I may still have feelings for my first love (18 years ago).

Old 08-03-2008, 06:46 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknick View Post
Sometimes you just have to move on and it time you may get over it. I'm about to get married and just realized that I may still have feelings for my first love (18 years ago).

yanno, there are always some people that we stay in love with...I'm still in love with my first love...and marriage...but, we were so different, had way to many different ideas about life, politics, religion, friends. I loved him like a brother and we were very good friends until he met his 2nd wife. She was very intimidated by our friendship, and I can understand that...he wasn't very open at all when it came to religion...and that to me was the most difficult. I have a lot of faith, but cannot stand, organized religions.

anyway

the jest of this post is to say...there was a time when we were going to reconcile...and I can tell you true, there are many reasons I'm glad I didn't, but there are reasons why I wish we had. He is a good man.

Your first love, you will never forget...they will be with you forever, as well as the father or mother of your children...there is an everlasting bond...no matter what happened between us...I still love this man...he will always remain special in my heart...but, if I found a man, who was decent and kind...I really do think, I would consider a relationship with him...I've grown since my first love...and chances our, those problems between us still exist...you can't go back...but you can move ahead...so I've let it go a long long time ago...and really do wish him well...he and I were not what each other needed....we tend to fantisise about what we can't have...and we want it even more b/c we can't have it...it's human nature...therefore, consider yourself fortunate that you've known love, and if I may suggest, since you've known a love like that...you will now be able to love this new person in a better way, a more mature and nurturing way, which will complement the both of you. Does that make sense?

My best wishes to you...I hope I have helped some...

Old 08-03-2008, 07:43 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,791 times
For me it would depend on how things ended. If the relationship ended because he chose another woman over me, there would be no looking back or looking at him with rose colored glasses anymore. Just knowing that he preferred someone over me as his girlfriend would definitely kill any feelings and be a total turn off. But for me, every ex has begged to come back after treating me crappy. By then I've found the next guy and moved on. There is one guy who's been waiting 3 years for me to come back to him and he's changed and apologized for his behavior and realizes he wants me, despite my being with someone else. Actually we have so much chemistry (I would say he's the love of my life) so who knows about the future..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships