Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:12 AM

15 posts, read 82,861 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Just came out of a 8 year relationship and am looking for answers.

Here's a run down of the relationship to date:

- both of us are the same age, met each other in University and dated for 4 years until we both started work

- worked for 2 years and then SHE decided we should buy a place together (as we were both living at our individual family homes). In the end she bought her own apartment and I bought my own townhouse. Reason I didn't buy with her was because I bought my place for my parents, who were to give us (myself and my girlfriend) the family home - which is many times bigger then what I bought. Plus we would never be able to afford a 'family home' with so much room - my parents didn't need that much room.

- we argued for months about the house issue - I feel we were both trying to achieve a life together, but had different plans. One thing I should mention is that we weren't to inherit the family home for at least another 4 years from that point.

- in the end I moved in with her at her place, worked out really well. After 6 months together, we decided to move back to our individual family homes for financial purposes, as we decided to buy a place together and not wait for the 'family home' plan.

- one and a half years on (ie. recently) she says she needs more in life and wants a break. We go on a break, but break is too hard as she can't have a break with me in her life, so she broke up with me instead.

I know I wasn't the best boyfriend around, as I was a work-aholic. Worked late during weekdays and sometimes worked weekends too as I wanted to build a career to secure a future for us. Ultimately, I quit my job and got something easier, so I could focus on the relationship (this was before any talk of break or break-up). A month into the new job, she breaks up with me and says she feels she's bored (based on me in my old job, not the new me) and feels missing out on a lot of life and needs time alone. She doesn't know how long she'll need, but says I shouldn't wait for her.

We're both 28, she always thought life 30 was the end of the world.

What should I do? I want to wait for her (that'll only mean not dating other girls, not stop living life), but there are many of my friends which say I should forget her. One friend actually said it was never to work as we never had the same 'plans' for life, but just made it work for as long as we could.

She took me not buying an apartment with her as me not loving her, but nothing could be further from the truth.

As it were, I have such renewed love for her from the moment I decided to quit my job. I had much lined up for us, as I realised me planning for our future so far ahead wasn't healthy. Never got the chance to show her what I am capable of for us in the 'now', as she's gone.

Just waffling, but ultimately what do people do? Wait? Move on? Move on with reservations?

Thanks

PS. If you need more details, just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:18 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Eight years is a long time to spend with someone, just to find out in the end, that she is bored with you, that she wants more out of life, and she needs a break.
I would let her have her "time alone" and move on with your life.
It sounds like she could have been bringing you down from your future plans anyway. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:58 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
If she loves you she'll be back. If she don't come back it was never meant to be. I wouldn't wait much more than a year. Sorry.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:09 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,855 times
Once the words you shouldn't wait for her left her mouth you should have stopped thinking. In women terms it means its over. Sorry I know its no fun.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Once the words you shouldn't wait for her left her mouth you should have stopped thinking. In women terms it means its over. Sorry I know its no fun.
Here's the thing, she told me to "not wait for her" because, as she said, she feels really selfish that she's doing this, but needs to do it....

She wants this time to experience what she never had before, but wants to come back to me... Of course she doesn't know how long that will be, plus, I have already experienced the things she's looking for, eg. independence, going out late at night without feeling guilty of leaving someone at home... ie, college/university free-style/carefree living... She was always overly conservative..

Thanks guys for your opinions so far.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:59 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
YEP,it is over.

do not wait for her that is giving her the security of knowing she doesn't have to try for you,and she'll see you as a *******.

Get another girlfriend,start loving yourself more than loving her.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:01 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkers View Post
Here's the thing, she told me to "not wait for her" because, as she said, she feels really selfish that she's doing this, but needs to do it....

She wants this time to experience what she never had before, but wants to come back to me... Of course she doesn't know how long that will be, plus, I have already experienced the things she's looking for, eg. independence, going out late at night without feeling guilty of leaving someone at home... ie, college/university free-style/carefree living... She was always overly conservative..

Thanks guys for your opinions so far.
she wants to party and get laid by someone else.

move on dude,go party and get laid by someone else also,which might even make her want you again lol,but don't wait for her.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:14 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
I agree with the other posters. Time to move on. I would never wait for anyone who broke up with me. I mean, why? They BROKE UP with you. Why would you want to wait patiently for her while she goes out there and sows her wild oats? Does not compute. Have some self-respect and move on.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:15 AM

14 posts, read 50,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm58 View Post
once the words you shouldn't wait for her left her mouth you should have stopped thinking. In women terms it means its over. Sorry i know its no fun.
okay ignore what everyone is saying buddy, i had a chick for 5 years and we broke up, exact same story, we would have bought a place and it didnt happen. I started dating other girls and it was the biggest mistake of my life, tried changing all of them to be like her. I went back to her and she felt the same so we made up and is moving in end of this year.

Moral of the story: 8 years is to much to just give away, she will start missing u although she got tired of you because she will (if she date other guys) realise she made a uge mistake and get back to you.

You already past the stage where she can really get board of you although it might feel that way to her and she wil realize it very soon

Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmhgtfgsdj View Post
okay ignore what everyone is saying buddy, i had a chick for 5 years and we broke up, exact same story, we would have bought a place and it didnt happen. I started dating other girls and it was the biggest mistake of my life, tried changing all of them to be like her. I went back to her and she felt the same so we made up and is moving in end of this year.

Moral of the story: 8 years is to much to just give away, she will start missing u although she got tired of you because she will (if she date other guys) realise she made a uge mistake and get back to you.

You already past the stage where she can really get board of you although it might feel that way to her and she wil realize it very soon
I think the one thing that I am concerned about is that I'd be trying to mould any other girl into her too.... Lots of things I wanted to do for us, that the another girl will either; really enjoy or will be scared off by. Most of the stuff I have planned is the settling down/building relationship stuff, not the dating/courting stuff - that stuff is exhausting now... hehehe..

Just give her a little time as I am in no rush right now to jump into another relationship. After that, or unless I meet someone really nice, I'll be letting her go.

Thanks again for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships