Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Didn't you see the darn picture even on this forum? Don't make me look for it again...
I do not know if I did! There are so many pics floating around I cannot remember them all! No need to look, I trust you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 06:52 AM

132 posts, read 463,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
being connected is a vague term. I can say for certain that there are far more than 6 people between myself and say, George W. Bush or Angelina Jolie - but if you start counting things like "my sisters' step father's aunt's mother-in-law once picked up a dirty diaper that belonged to Angelina Jolie's daughter" then I supposed something like that would qualify as "connected", depending on how you define it.

There are lots and lots and LOTS of people that I have no connection, whatsoever with. Millions, I would say.

It's a nice thought, but does not hold water in my book.

20yrsinBranson
It definitely holds water. I am 0 degrees from Pres. Bush (shook his hand once, prior to his presidency). Two degrees from Angelina Jolie -- met both of George Clooney's parents, who know George, who knows Angelina. Heck, maybe his parents have met her and it's only 1 degree.

You just have to think about you who know or have met, and who they know or have met.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:34 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
It definitely holds water.
Agreed.

In martial arts there's a big emphasis placed on "family" - who your teacher is, who his/her teacher was, etc. Looking at it that way, I'm only 3 degrees away from the original founder of my martial art.

I'm 0 degrees from Chuck Norris (met him at a tournament), so I'm 1 degree from Bruce Lee (who trained and acted with Chuck) and 1 degree from Steven Seagal. 2 degrees separate me and Jackie Chan, though - same with Jet Li. My friend in Cally hangs out with a lot of show-biz folks, so I'm sure I'm connected to a lot of them by 1 degree.

There were some arguments against this theory when it came out - mainly, that you would be hard-pressed to claim connection with, say, a Fiji Islander or an Alaskan Inuit. Sometimes that makes sense; other times it still seems to work.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:35 AM

53 posts, read 197,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
After working on my families geneaology I will have to nod in the affirmative.

Two of my good friends just realized they're related--5th cousins, once removed! It was completely random...one mentioned some distant relative, the other recognized the name, went home and looked on her family tree (she's way into geneaology) and BAM! there it was.

Last edited by FLandFF; 09-03-2008 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: I can spell, I swear!!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:38 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLandFF View Post
Two of my good friends just realized they're related--5th cousins, once removed! It was completely random...one mentioned some distant relative, the other recognized the name, went home and looked on her family tree (she's way into geaneology) and BAM! there it was.
It is crazy when you start really digging!! My grandmother and I just started working on it a few months ago and we were very surprised by our distant relatives. Fun stuff!!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:57 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
I m not sure its true or not, but I love the idea of having such a broad circle of possible aquaintences. It does seem to me that in having conversations on airplanes that I often have indirect connections with almost everyone.

I wonder if the internet has expanded the possibilities.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I wonder if the internet has expanded the possibilities.
I'm pretty sure it has, although not in an "up-close and personal" way - THAT technological marvel is a few years down the road yet, I think.

Of course, I can't find it now that I want to, but MySpace has a little gizmo that tells you how many "connections" you have, based I think upon how many friends and friends-of-friends you have...

Old 09-03-2008, 02:38 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I'm pretty sure it has, although not in an "up-close and personal" way - THAT technological marvel is a few years down the road yet, I think.

Of course, I can't find it now that I want to, but MySpace has a little gizmo that tells you how many "connections" you have, based I think upon how many friends and friends-of-friends you have...
Ha! Friends... Well, I know I love Tom!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha! Friends... Well, I know I love Tom!
Yeah - you and quite a few million others. You KNOW what I told you about him...

Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Yeah - you and quite a few million others. You KNOW what I told you about him...
The guy's a man-wh*re!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships