Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:47 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

Well The Seven Year Itch (1955) was a hit movie in its day... thanks to Marilyn Monroe starring in it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 12:55 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Well, I knew going into the marriage that he would be working a lot of hours--it was worse before we got married, actually--it was 100 hours back then. It's the nature of his job, and it's not going to get any better. I think when I finally get into my new career and am working full-time that I'll feel better about this and the lonliness issue--but since I only work part-time and he works the equivalent of two full-time jobs, it's hard for me to deal with the lonliness at times.

Also, there's a difference in my mind between being a workaholic (which he's not) and having to work that many hours because the job requires it. Since my hubby isn't a workaholic, and doesn't put in any more time in than is necessary, it's a lot easier to handle than if he were a workaholic.
Don't kid yourself, he's a workaholic, or he'd find some other job. He's working like this because it's what he wants to do. Revealed preference, as the economists call it. No one is holding a gun to his head, he's chosen the job, and the hours.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:20 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
I'm with the majority in agreeing that I've always heard the "7 year itch" is when things get tricky, stale, etc... BUT, I do still believe in the sanctity of marriage, still believe that marriage IS what you make of it. If you communicate well, have fun together, and understand when you are being an idiot and know how to work through lifes little bumps, it doesn't have to get bad.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:22 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
All successful long term relationships need regular tweaking and maintenance. To be passive about the relationship and assume that you're going to naturally get the happily ever after ending without any work is just asking for trouble. Especially since with most marriages, there are kids and real estate acquisitions involved. Naturally there will be more stresses applied to the relationship.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:25 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,219,784 times
Sorry to hear that! Maybe time apart will be the best thing now. As much as it hurts, hang in there. Try to keep yourself busy. How about starting marriage counseling?

i think so too, as much as it hurts, im gonna let her go, if its meant to be shell come back!

Old 09-20-2008, 11:54 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
How about 3 years?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Me & my wife are at each others throats, i love her to death, and at times, i wanna leave, but i suck it all up, and just take it ALL in. It is very hard, but i dont want to get divorced again, i think we can work out every issue, as long as their is no infidelity! I see it all as a test from the man up above!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:02 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Let's just make in an X-year itch and get rid of redundant threads!
Right on!

It depends on what is going on in your relationship at the time, I never stop to notice any "X year curse" or anything.

Crap happens, we work through it, and truck on.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
its no longer 5 its now 2.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:08 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Ive heard this more than once, alot of people have told me, that once u reach 5 yrs married, you reach a point, where your always fighting, bickering, basically getting on each tothers nerves. At this point you re-analize your entire relationship, and at this point, people either give up or keep on trucking, if you stay, usually you end up a stronger couple. Is this true, or atleast close to the truth?
Definatley not a myth.

I have a theory that its a genetic behavior. You get together, you have a child, and after the child no longer needs constant protection, one or both partners want to leave the relationship.

That is, unless another child comes along.

It helps propogate the species, and spread the gene pool around a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships