Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Wrong. It is because the kids pick up bad habits from their selfish and immature parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
Easy. When the majority of parents in our society spoil their kids and ignore the problems. I can't tell you how many people I know that are constantly getting calls from school or attending parent-teacher-principal conferences because their "perfect" kids are terrors. I have one co-worker who has an 9 year old that has already gone through an anger management course. Most kids are brats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 06:35 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
Generally, I find kids quite charming. But I am reminded of what George Carlin said about today's parents--they are a bunch of diaper sniffers. I was reminded of this when a friend of mine firmly pressed the rear end of his 6-month-old into his face (the kid was clothed) and took a deep sniff. But 20 seconds later, he repeated this, and it seemed like he was really enjoying himself. "Diaper sniffer," I muttered under my breath. I'm not begrudging a parent this apparent pleasure. But don't think that your friends enjoy witnessing this.
George Carlin had it so right about kids and parents.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:09 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,988 times
45 year olds when you're 85?! ha...ha...hahaha.... Do you have a lot of money or something? At 85, you are going to look...like an 85 year old. You are going to be trying to hold your urine, not bedding hot-to-trot middle aged women?!

More power to you if you can do it....

Old 12-08-2008, 09:14 PM

105 posts, read 214,353 times
"CD" land and yuk to virgins!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:14 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Generally, I find kids quite charming. But I am reminded of what George Carlin said about today's parents--they are a bunch of diaper sniffers. I was reminded of this when a friend of mine firmly pressed the rear end of his 6-month-old into his face (the kid was clothed) and took a deep sniff. But 20 seconds later, he repeated this, and it seemed like he was really enjoying himself. "Diaper sniffer," I muttered under my breath. I'm not begrudging a parent this apparent pleasure. But don't think that your friends enjoy witnessing this.
I have never heard of ANY parent enjoying the smell of a diaper...

Old 12-09-2008, 11:37 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I have never heard of ANY parent enjoying the smell of a diaper...
Moms Prefer Smell of Their Own Baby's Poop | LiveScience

It's not exactly the kind of thing someone is going to admit to! And I acknowledge that the above article says "less repulsive" and not "enjoys." But I have a sneaking suspicion that parents do like the smell of their baby's poop. But it may be a certain kind of parent--THE DIAPER SNIFFERS!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:50 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
What has this thread come to?

Diaper and poop smells!

Sheesh!

Old 12-09-2008, 01:52 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
What has this thread come to?

Diaper and poop smells!

Sheesh!
Agreed. But what it is reflective of, I think, is the observations and perceptions that we "over-40-never-married-no-children" have of our friends and acquaintances who do have kids. It is a mixed bag of positive and negative. As charming as I find kids, as much as they can pull at my heart strings, I often wonder why people have them. In a by-gone era, people had kids because there was no modern contraception, kids were needed to run the family farm, business, or to inherit land and titles. But these reasons have mostly disappeared, at least here in the U.S.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:07 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
I have an uncle who is over 50 and never married with no kids. He is a great guy and has a lot to offer, but is not good looking and is too picky. He wants women "out of his league", but wants them to overlook his appearance and financial status. Although, since he believes marriage is forever, I understand him not wanting to settle and being unhappy for it.

Since I'm a lot like him in other ways (except I am much better looking :P), I'm making sure I don't get too picky, haha. I definitely try and keep an open mind with dating.
I don't expect to marry young though, as I feel like I need to develop more as a person still. I've seen women marry around age 40 and they have great marriages...better than many women who married very young. I don't know if that is typical, but it makes sense to me that as you get older and wiser you would pick a better mate.
I don't want children, so I'd be cool with not getting married til I am older in that respect, but otherwise having a permanent companion would be nice.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Quote:
He wasn't enjoying himself! It's hard to tell the difference in gas and poop at certain ages so sometimes you have to sniff to see. No one wants to change a wriggling kid if they don't need it.

I'm intrigued by so many of these "why do people have kids" musings on here. Do you think that you were hatched or dropped on your parent's doorstep by the stork?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships