Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:06 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But I think that both spouses should be INTERdependent on each other. Work as a team, find someone who has skills and abilities that you don't.

I'm glad that my s.o. wants to drive. I don't. She says she'll work with tools, but won't do anything electrical. I used to be an electrician in the Navy...and although I might need a little refresher, I can do basic simple repairs, or rewire a light fixture.
I agree...but can you drive yourself if need be? If Something electrical needs to be done and your wife isnt available can you handle it or atleast know how hire someone else to do it? Like say your spouse keeps you entertained you just love your time together...ok if your spuse had to go away on a business trip for a week or two can you keep yourself entertained.

All Im trying say is whether or not you can actually do what your spouse does for you...atleast know how to still get it done if by chance your spouse isnt around.....Become co-dependent in a relationship but dont forget how to take care of yourself while doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 05:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Hmm, I agree, but men give up things too. They certainly can't continue to live the bachelor life when they are married. Certain hobbys or things they do usually have to stop or be lessened unless they want constant nagging or arguing with the wife.

Both sides give things up, compromise and start new habits independently or together, or it doesn't work.

Example: Wanna play video games or read a good book or whatever without disturbing anyone or getting disturbed? Compromise, get up 2 hours early before everyone is up and have some "me" time. That way no ones inconvenienced and nothing is getting neglected.

OP: I hope it works out. Find some groups at a local library, volunteer for PTA or other things. You'll meet people that way. Get to know his friends' wives. Something like that.

I agree, men do need to stop going out and drinking beer at the bar. I already didn't drink beer anyhow, but we couldn't afford to have me going out even once a week. (I like to do karaoke).

What I gave up was my music. I like to have music all the time. She likes to have silence when she wakes up. Granted, I'd probably be asleep most of that time anyway, but I used to fall asleep with music in the room. That would wake her up, and she'd be grumpy because she didn't get her peace. And we wouldn't listen to music often.

Oh, she tells me I can still listen to it...but I have to put on headphones.

I gave it up instead.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
I agree...but can you drive yourself if need be? If Something electrical needs to be done and your wife isnt available can you handle it or atleast know how hire someone else to do it? Like say your spouse keeps you entertained you just love your time together...ok if your spuse had to go away on a business trip for a week or two can you keep yourself entertained.

All Im trying say is whether or not you can actually do what your spouse does for you...atleast know how to still get it done if by chance your spouse isnt around.....Become co-dependent in a relationship but dont forget how to take care of yourself while doing so.

YBF...actually, I'M the electrician, she won't touch it.

I can drive...I just usually choose to walk instead. Driving causes me too much stress.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:26 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I am starting to realize that I'm too dependent on my husband. Does anyone else feel this way? I realized tonight how large this problem has become. A big part of it is I just don't feel comfortable in my city--we moved here two years ago and it still doesn't feel like home and I don't know my way around. Another big part of it is that my husband is gone a lot, and I am alone all the time and have no one to call if there's a problem--and this makes me very anxious. Also, I'm very far from family, which also makes me feel a bit anxious.

The funny thing is that I'd lived on my own for four years after college before moving in with my husband, so I have experience living on my own in a new city, living alone in my own place, and being completely independent. But for some reason now I no longer have the self-confidence to be independent like I used to be, and I don't know how to get that back.

Anyone else experience something similar?
Do you possibly suffer from an anxiety disorder? As much as ppl tell you to grow up, they will never understand unless they've experienced it. I also feel I'm too dependent on my husband. I understand when you say you don't have anyone to call. If I can't call someone I know, it makes me anxious. You've done it all along, so don't give up. Maybe you feel this way b/c DC is too big. Maybe a smaller town would be better for you. It would feel tight knit and you could get closer to the ppl that live in that town. It's nice to go to the grocery store or post office and run into ppl you know. Get out as much as you can as that will help you to build the self-confidence. Good luck!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Yes, this is exactly how I feel. And no, we don't need my salary, which is why I have a bit of flexibility in terms of what I do every day. That's why it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to find another crappy job, like the one I'm currently in and have been in.
You know, every time I see one of your broken-record threads I try REALLY hard to ignore them and pass on them, but I can't refrain from posting this time. I can safely assume your personality is not much different at home. One of these days your husband will have enough of your whining and then... guess what - you'll need to keep a job, a full-time job, any job, in order to have roof over your head and food on your table.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You know, every time I see one of your broken-record threads I try REALLY hard to ignore them and pass on them, but I can't refrain from posting this time. I can safely assume your personality is not much different at home. One of these days your husband will have enough of your whining and then... guess what - you'll need to keep a job, a full-time job, any job, in order to have roof over your head and food on your table.
Brutal. Yet accurate.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:21 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,682,232 times
Whoa. Just wandered in here from the Northern Virginia forum, where Princess Doglover kept us going with 14 pages of whining because she can't afford to buy the mansion of her dreams in McLean. Didn't realize she was doing the same in other forums. Cpg35223 and sierraAZ, you're right on track, but I wonder if it will do any good.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Whoa. Just wandered in here from the Northern Virginia forum, where Princess Doglover kept us going with 14 pages of whining because she can't afford to buy the mansion of her dreams in McLean. Didn't realize she was doing the same in other forums. Cpg35223 and sierraAZ, you're right on track, but I wonder if it will do any good.

Maybe if she worked she could afford it.....jmo

Old 09-25-2008, 06:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
No, it won't. She's been performing this spoiled princess act for months. We all were kind and supportive at first, but then we realized that she doesn't actually want to do anything about her "issues," rather she just wants to talk endlessly about them.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:07 AM

534 posts, read 1,594,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Maybe there is a reason he works 70 hours a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships