Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,852,464 times

Advertisements

is it just me, or does it tend to be a social norm that highly attractive girls expect more attention, entertaining and witty conversation?

definitely seems that way to me - in the office, the best lookers seem to act this way, yet their conversation is often incredibly dull.

is this natural?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:55 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,127,536 times
People in general like attention. It feels crummy to be ignored and feel invisible. So I have no clue whether "highly attractive women" expect more attention since I'm not one.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,852,464 times
there is an experession where I come from: 'fat chicks are better in bed'

because they need to impress more to get a repeat.

this is the inverse of the OP - and I guess it's why, so often, the pretty office girl is the least interesting to talk to.

so does she deserve to be impressed?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,824,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
is it just me, or does it tend to be a social norm that highly attractive girls expect more attention, entertaining and witty conversation?

definitely seems that way to me - in the office, the best lookers seem to act this way, yet their conversation is often incredibly dull.

is this natural?
you just asked 3 different questions

-do they have a right ?

-does it tend to be a social norm ?

-is this natural ?

obvious answers being: no, yes, and yes.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,267,266 times
It's not about rights is about the fact they can be pickier and thus hold men to a higher standard.

As to the boring part...well traditionally women don't have to impress men as much with their personality: their wit or charisma, especially pretty women...I once started a thread asking if fatter women tended to be funnier, which is something I've observed. I thought I was onto something but I got the usual 'any body shape can be funny' predictable polite responses.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,508,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's not about rights is about the fact they can be pickier and thus hold men to a higher standard.

As to the boring part...well traditionally women don't have to impress men as much with their personality
This.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 AM

520 posts, read 599,343 times
"You never see an attractive woman get a ticket"- George Costanza

Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 AM

51,362 posts, read 37,033,358 times
Quote:

is this natural?
What is this observation based on? How exactly do all the attractive women you work with act that tells you they expect to be entertained?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,414,902 times
Not sure if it's a right... But more men will compete to impress them so they may come to expect it.

Attractive women get more attention, so they can be pickier with whom they interact. Because there is more competition for them, they may have come to expect more "entertainment." Men compete with each other to be the more entertaining/witty. Maybe the woman doesn't need to work as hard to keep up their end of the conversation as they will likely still get all the attention anyway. Also, there can be an aloof/non-converstational attitude which can be a protection from often unwanted attention. However, this attitude still attracts men to them.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,251,126 times
Quote:

is this natural?

It's not that they expect it or have a right to it. It's that this is what you will have to do if you want to compete for them, because a million other guys are talking to them, too. Supply and demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships