Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:42 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,234 times

Advertisements

This past Friday I went to NYC on another gallery tour/photo shoot with a few other photo artists. Again i noticed that women seemed to find me attractive. I caught a few ladies checking me out and then smiling at me and holding eye contact. (At home when i see a woman check me out they look away like they are disgusted). Other ladies just smiled at me and held eye contact. Some of these ladies were twenty somethings which i found very flattering. (Again at home this happens very, very, rarely) So my question is why the disparity between places? How can i be attractive in one place but not another? One of the other photo artists on the trip is a lady i am friendly with who happens to be my own age but married. She noticed a few of these ladies check me out and/or smile and this led to a conversation over dinner. She said that the ratio of single women to single men in nyc is 6 to 1. Therefore, she said guys like me are in demand in nyc. Is this ratio factual? If so then is her statement about guys like me being in demand also true? Sorry for the amount of questions in this thread. I am just trying to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 08:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
This past Friday I went to NYC on another gallery tour/photo shoot with a few other photo artists. Again i noticed that women seemed to find me attractive. I caught a few ladies checking me out and then smiling at me and holding eye contact. (At home when i see a woman check me out they look away like they are disgusted). Other ladies just smiled at me and held eye contact. Some of these ladies were twenty somethings which i found very flattering. (Again at home this happens very, very, rarely) So my question is why the disparity between places? How can i be attractive in one place but not another? One of the other photo artists on the trip is a lady i am friendly with who happens to be my own age but married. She noticed a few of these ladies check me out and/or smile and this led to a conversation over dinner. She said that the ratio of single women to single men in nyc is 6 to 1. Therefore, she said guys like me are in demand in nyc. Is this ratio factual? If so then is her statement about guys like me being in demand also true? Sorry for the amount of questions in this thread. I am just trying to understand.
This should have been posted in the NYC form. For me as a New Yorker itz quite the opposite. Im attractive outside of NYC and its surroundings but from within no. But yes in NYC professional yuppie scene a well rounded handsome, educated man holding a 6 figure job who is 6 feet tall is in demand for most women from the disable, to fat and ugly to super hot women. Yes in NYC there are 200,000 more single women than men, but most women in NYC dont want to settle for less economically or eveb physically to some extent when it comes to looking for a man. If you are gonna be swinging in NYC use protection, plenty of stds. Also most of these twentg something women you met are not from NYC, most likelg from the midwest. Also not that NYC is not mans city, its highly liberal and it favors women to some extent, especially when it comes down to professional jobs like white collar positions. Only blue collar and greh collar jobs are dominated by men in the city. As well as service jobs are mostlg performed by women, so that's why women from across the country and even the world move to NYC to find work.

All The Single Ladies…Are Fighting For The Same Man

Old 05-12-2013, 09:22 AM

Ok. Thanks. I posted here because it is more or less a question on the difference between RI women and NYC women so i thought it a relationship post.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
It's probably more of a numbers/attitude thing. When I lived in NYC and even when I go back for weekend trips or whatever I always get a bit of an ego boost because I get plenty of flirtatious looks from women in the streets, in the subway, etc. Not that I don't get some in DC but it's just not as common. Some of it may be my own looks. I have been told I have sort of a surfer/musician(which makes perfect sense because I am one) look/vibe(shaggy hair, laid back attitude) that seems to play much better in NYC than in DC where clean cut seems to be more appealing to the average woman.

You mentioned that NYC has more women than men which is true. Also a lot of them may work in industries where the men may commonly be a little light in the loafers, so to speak, i.e. theatre, fashion, visual arts...not trying to offend but there are stereotypes for the men in these professions.

Lastly, NYC women just seem to much more aggressive than women in a lot of other places. That's probably due to the numbers again but I think it takes a certain ambitious personality to move to New York and survive and that brings with it a bit of assertiveness. It really makes it nice to be a single guy in NYC.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
It's probably more of a numbers/attitude thing. When I lived in NYC and even when I go back for weekend trips or whatever I always get a bit of an ego boost because I get plenty of flirtatious looks from women in the streets, in the subway, etc. Not that I don't get some in DC but it's just not as common. Some of it may be my own looks. I have been told I have sort of a surfer/musician(which makes perfect sense because I am one) look/vibe(shaggy hair, laid back attitude) that seems to play much better in NYC than in DC where clean cut seems to be more appealing to the average woman.

You mentioned that NYC has more women than men which is true. Also a lot of them may work in industries where the men may commonly be a little light in the loafers, so to speak, i.e. theatre, fashion, visual arts...not trying to offend but there are stereotypes for the men in these professions.

Lastly, NYC women just seem to much more aggressive than women in a lot of other places. That's probably due to the numbers again but I think it takes a certain ambitious personality to move to New York and survive and that brings with it a bit of assertiveness. It really makes it nice to be a single guy in NYC.
Makes a lot of sense! I now understand the NYC part. I just need to learn why there is such a complete difference at home. Thanks

Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,758 times
Confirmation bias

Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Confirmation bias
Please explain this. I am not understanding your post. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:21 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Please explain this. I am not understanding your post. Thanks.
Go to Wikipedia and read up on it. It should be self explanatory after that.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:57 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
This sort of thing happens all over the world. In one country or region, someone's considered attractive, in another region--not. It's not worth the energy to puzzle over it and try to figure it out. Just enjoy the places where you get a good reaction.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Go to Wikipedia and read up on it. It should be self explanatory after that.
Very interesting read. Makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships