Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:03 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
How do you know the women you see are New Yorkers and not tourists, people on businesses or transplants?

(I once shared an apartment on the LES with a girl from Warwick....)
This is an interesting question that i have no answer for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 07:06 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
This past Friday I went to NYC on another gallery tour/photo shoot with a few other photo artists. Again i noticed that women seemed to find me attractive. I caught a few ladies checking me out and then smiling at me and holding eye contact. (At home when i see a woman check me out they look away like they are disgusted). Other ladies just smiled at me and held eye contact. Some of these ladies were twenty somethings which i found very flattering. (Again at home this happens very, very, rarely) So my question is why the disparity between places? How can i be attractive in one place but not another? One of the other photo artists on the trip is a lady i am friendly with who happens to be my own age but married. She noticed a few of these ladies check me out and/or smile and this led to a conversation over dinner. She said that the ratio of single women to single men in nyc is 6 to 1. Therefore, she said guys like me are in demand in nyc. Is this ratio factual? If so then is her statement about guys like me being in demand also true? Sorry for the amount of questions in this thread. I am just trying to understand.

Why does anyone find anyone else attractive or not? It is really simple, humans are individuals and they have personal preferences regarding everything from the length of their toe nails to the perfect temperature their coffee is brewed. You cannot get away from it and it cannot be explained to anyone's satisfaction.

Life is life, deal with it or don't but for crying out loud quit wasting your time trying to completely understand each and every little aspect as to the reasons behind everything.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why does anyone find anyone else attractive or not? It is really simple, humans are individuals and they have personal preferences regarding everything from the length of their toe nails to the perfect temperature their coffee is brewed. You cannot get away from it and it cannot be explained to anyone's satisfaction.

Life is life, deal with it or don't but for crying out loud quit wasting your time trying to completely understand each and every little aspect as to the reasons behind everything.
I don't know why this bothers you. All i wondered was why i was attractive in one place and not another. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:28 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,121,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

What fun would life be if people didn't ask nonsensical questions?

Old 03-18-2014, 03:30 PM

36 posts, read 53,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This sort of thing happens all over the world. In one country or region, someone's considered attractive, in another region--not. It's not worth the energy to puzzle over it and try to figure it out. Just enjoy the places where you get a good reaction.
I think what you say about different regions having different ideas about attractiveness is probably true to some extent, but I think the question of why this is so is worth puzzling over.

Why would someone be considered attractive in Manhattan and not Rhode Island when the places are so close?

Is it because women in these places have different ideas about attractiveness? Or is it because women in Manhattan are more outgoing and there are many more single women in Manhattan?

Last edited by Dr Zapp; 03-18-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 03:39 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Most likely all in your head.

I don't ever get your threads. You ask these random questions that are 100% impossible to answer. How do we know if this small group of women even found you attractive? How do we know if women in Rhode Island did not? How can we read their minds when we have no clue who they are? Do you think these threads through before you ask them?

Old 03-18-2014, 03:43 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,864 times
I think its a conspiracy.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:00 PM

36 posts, read 53,689 times
Even if we don't know whether the women jma501 met in NYC found him attractive and the women in Rhode Island did not, the question remains why are women in NYC so much more willing to make eye contact and start a conversation? Is it because women in NYC are so extroverted they can't possibly help making eye contact and walking up to random men and starting conversations?

Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 PM

458 posts, read 645,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
How do you know the women you see are New Yorkers and not tourists, people on businesses or transplants?

(I once shared an apartment on the LES with a girl from Warwick....)
The United States is really divided by Liberals vs Conservatives
You won't notice a huge difference until you move down south past DC.
Between Rhode Island & NYC there is hardly any difference in mentality.
Most Liberals are open minded, creative, and adventurous. When you go down south of the Northeast corridor it feels as if you've entered a different country.
Conservative states are the exact opposite of Liberal states, and the residents living there reflects that.

Sorry didn't mean to bring politics into this, but there is nothing trivial about New England vs Tri-state.
You guys have a lot in common.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:20 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
The United States is really divided by Liberals vs Conservatives
You won't notice a huge difference until you move down south past DC.
Between Rhode Island & NYC there is hardly any difference in mentality.
Most Liberals are open minded, creative, and adventurous. When you go down south of the Northeast corridor it feels as if you've entered a different country.
Conservative states are the exact opposite of Liberal states, and the residents living there reflects that.

Sorry didn't mean to bring politics into this, but there is nothing trivial about New England vs Tri-state.
You guys have a lot in common.
lol oh please. you cannot be serious.

comments like this come from people who have never left the city they grew up in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships