Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:50 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Ok then,

That's pretty much what I meant.

Didn't want to get all technical though

Yes, you are correct the analog signals are going away.

Well I wasn't trying to "get all technical", , I just wanted to clarify that you do not now, and will not in the future, need a cable or satellite subscription to receive perfectly good reception (and in the case of an HD set - it's actually perfect - even better than cable. ) So many people just don't understand this, they've had cable so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 07:03 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
I didn't have cable growing up, and the biggest TV was 19". I only got cable after I moved and got my first job, so I paid for it myself. I still don't have a big screen TV. I will probably get a bigger one since DVD's are better on them, but not huge, maybe 42".

So my suggestion would be to consider a smaller TV and no cable.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:24 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
I don't watch much TV, but if I only could get rid of the computer... It would be actually better to watch more TV since at least you relax while doing that. I can't seem to be able to truly relax anymore... I have to know what's going on on the damn computer!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
The last time we had a television on in our home is the day that Princess Diana was killed. We will watch tv in a motel room while traveling or at friends houses. Frankly, I do not see the attraction. Other than the History Channel, Discovery Channel and PBS there is nothing worth watching IMHO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-12-2008, 11:46 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,103 times
I dumped TV in February of '06. I have not looked back. Yes, there was a period of withdrawal when I really missed it. Being single and living alone, the TV was sometimes a form of ersatz company for me. Now I spend a LOT of time on the internet reading. I also spend a lot of time socializing with friends, and just doing more productive things.

When I watch TV now at a friend's home, it makes me want to vomit. This "reality TV" crap is the most putrid, useless junk I've ever seen. But what really drives me nuts is watching a show and seeing ads at the bottom of the screen for the next show coming up. And they take up lots of space! There's graphics and everything.

I miss Discovery and History. But what I'm missing is not enough to make me ever want to go back. I still have my TV and I watch DVDs now. No commercials. And that's especially gratifying now with an election coming up and these useless wretches, euphemistically calling themselves "politicians". blathering on and on.

If you can do it, dump TV.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,376,537 times
The trouble is its not 1950, kids go to school and their friends watch tv, when your kid can't relate he or she become isolated from their peers and in effect become the freak, also teachers watch tv and from time to time expect your kid to know things that are going on or may want comments on a movie or show. Social death isn't exactly going to help your child now or in the future. Nothing wrong with turning off the set when you have time and drag their butts outside and enjoy their company, play board games as you mentioned. Its your house so you get to set the rules but Video Games, TV, Sports and anything else that drives a child to be more at ease and confident in their social circle can only help them in life. The games and time with family instill love and caring from you. Its a balance.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 AM

36,534 posts, read 30,871,648 times
I havent had TV in about 8 years. I do have a dvd so we can watch movies sometime. My grandkids stay over every weekend and dont miss it. I know more and more people that are getting rid of their idiot box.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Here's my theory. If you're watching more than an hour of television on average a day, then you have a serious emotional issue. It's a freaking drug, and it's just as corrosive as heroin.

Think about it. If you're watch 4-5 hours of television a day, that's at least 25% of your waking hours passively staring at a video box. That's 4-5 hours a day that you could be enjoying better health, a cleaner house, more friends, you name it. And you're giving that up for what? Survivor? Dancing with the Stars? Do you realize how pathetic that really is?

I really think television has destroyed so much in our lives, from our relationships to our civic life. We have a TV (Yes, my vice is watching my favorite college team play football every week), but we severely limit its watching. My kids don't watching during the week, and they watch selectively on the weekend. To me, allowing more than two hours daily of television borders on child abuse.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:44 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's my theory. If you're watching more than an hour of television on average a day, then you have a serious emotional issue. It's a freaking drug, and it's just as corrosive as heroin.

Think about it. If you're watch 4-5 hours of television a day, that's at least 25% of your waking hours passively staring at a video box. That's 4-5 hours a day that you could be enjoying better health, a cleaner house, more friends, you name it. And you're giving that up for what? Survivor? Dancing with the Stars? Do you realize how pathetic that really is?
I watch more than an hour of TV on average, not every day but somedays, yes so it probably averages out that way. I also have time for several hobbies, a clean apartment and plenty of friends and I don't feel that watching more than an hour of TV in a day is interfering with my enjoyment of other things in life. My life is not pathetic at all and neither am I.

Oh and I don't watch either of those shows you mentioned. I admitt I watch a couple reality shows like that but I also watch tons of documentaries which are actually very educational.

You think the amount of time I watch TV is pathetic but what percentage of the day do you spend on the internet telling people they are pathetic?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:45 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,376,537 times
I agree with you cpg, my kids don't have a problem with it either, but then they have parents that aren't sitting on their butts watching TV telling them to go out side and play...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships