Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:00 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
How come you're X years old and have never been married?

You're really great, how come no one has snatched you up yet?

You seem like a great catch, why hasn't anyone caught you?

You're still single, I guess you must be pretty picky, huh?
I have been advised by my lawyer not to answer the above questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 08:03 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Ignore the question and change the subject of course. If they persist, simply say, "I'm sorry, but that's a rude question. Let's talk about something more pleasant."

Old 10-24-2008, 08:06 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Since I'm married I do not have to answer questions like these but when I am asked something I either don't want to answer or I think is rude, I say "If I tell ya' I'll have to kill ya'"...this throws the person off long enough for me to divert the attention for a while.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:11 AM

973 posts, read 3,305,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloop6 View Post
This has fast become a pet peeve of mine in the dating world. On first dates or even in an initial e-mail contact online I (and several of my female friends as well) have been asked the same question, phrased in different ways.

Oh Yes, these questions always ticked me off too. I was 30 when I married and I started asking folks why they felt the need to ask such personal questions. I figured if they had no manners themselves, they couldn't possibly be offended if I threw it back at them.

How come you're X years old and have never been married? Because I choose to marry when I have experienced more of what life has to offer. Or......I don't want to be married, that's why!

You're really great, how come no one has snatched you up yet? Oh, they've tried but I had to pry the leaches off.

You seem like a great catch, why hasn't anyone caught you? See above answer.

You're still single, I guess you must be pretty picky, huh? You bet! It takes a lot of patience on my part to separate the boys from the men. Which are you?

Any suggestions on a snappy comeback? I figure, if we date long enough, the dating history on both sides will be discussed at some point, so why start off with such a none-of-your-business question? Get to know me first, and then judge for yourself.
I bet some others have some good ones.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:36 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,410 times
I always turn it around and put the other person in the hot seat. Like, "Why do you think I should be with someone by now?", "Are you saying that I'm old?", etc...

See how they react to answering uncomfortable questions.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
I always turn it around and put the other person in the hot seat. Like, "Why do you think I should be with someone by now?", "Are you saying that I'm old?", etc...

See how they react to answering uncomfortable questions.
Or why are you assuming I've never been in a relationship?

Not to change the direction, but this reminded me of a guy that was attempting to date me and said..."you're a good looking Hefer and I hope you NEVER die! Had to give him credit for creativity.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
You could be direct and say "that line of questioning is rude and is offending me" .... lol ....

Old 10-24-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You could be direct and say "that line of questioning is rude and is offending me" .... lol ....
You are obviously not from the south...

Old 10-24-2008, 03:48 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
what the foot stomp is that supposed to mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
You are obviously not from the south...

Old 10-24-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
what the foot stomp is that supposed to mean?
Because people from the south are not usually as direct as you and I...most people I know (myself excluded!) would say "Gawd bless you, honey, what do you think about that storm that's comin'?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships