Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

I have known some really great gay men....who are quit humble and more mature then some men I've know, however, I have also known some really nerotic gay men who drive me nuts and are worse then some of the most irritating women...so, like everything else, there is good and bad and in-between in everything and everyone.

But some gay men, sometimes make the most loyal and incredible friends...others, are so self imposed, they cannot see past their own faces...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:19 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
LOL, that's true! Apparently we women are a whole lot more forgiving!
Not all of us.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not all of us.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-05-2008 at 10:49 AM..

Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I've found myself getting enamoured of gay men a lot. Not that I "like like" them, I just wonder, are they like surrogate girlfriends? Brothers?
Gay men are about the only men that straight women can be friends with.

Heterosexual guys are always looking for a leg over. They've always got a hidden agenda.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:51 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I admire your direct honesty.....I wish more people were upfront like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh, I agree with you; however, the types you talk about nobody would notice, right... Or am I supposed to develop a closet gay radar?! Yeah, I knew a married one with 2 children who was in his 30s only 10 years ago (in the US) when he finally decided he was gay. One would think he could've figured it out before ruining 3 people's lives and he certainly wasn't living in the Dark Ages. As far as my benefit... hard to see any benefit or impact on me as far as any gays go... perhaps you can elaborate more on it.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 AM

Edward,

I can relate. I've had gay men hit on me and sexually harass me too. It's weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
For straight males it is very rare to ever be on the receiving end of unwanted sexual attention. If a woman expresses interest in you, generally it means you have a good chance of getting laid or at least you hope you do. So you have no frame of reference or first hand experience in dealing with any type of unwanted sexual attention (sexual harrassment).

Most straight women have a life time of experience of getting some sexual attention from men they aren't interested in and that means they have more experience in both handling those situations and dealing with the feelings that it creates. They may be equally annoyed, but probably have enough experience with it where they are better at managing the situation and concealing their true feelings.

The only times, I have ever been on the receiving end of unwanted sexual attention (felt sexually harrassed) were from gay men. When it happens, it usually catches me off guard and I get really annoyed. To this day, I hate going shopping at the Banana Republic and prefer to avoid those situations where I think there will be a lot of gay men.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:55 AM

I am gay and I can actually relate with cpg. He isn't off base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I have to admit to you that I'm in a biz that's rife with gay guys. And I've yet to meet one who isn't all about himself. Yes, a blanket statement. No, I'm not a homophobe. But having worked and socialized with dozens and dozens over the years, I've reluctantly reached this conclusion.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:57 AM

Don't hate yourself man, I see it too, I see it too...<pats cpg on his furry little head>

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Nope. The South. I mean seriously. I just work and listen to the backbiting, the catty remarks, the willingness to throw anybody they can under the bus, the weird, spiteful politicking if something doesn't go their way at the office, and some really elastic ethics. I mean, I hate myself for even writing this. But it's just what I've observed over the years.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:00 AM

I find it really offensive that you say the "twinks" are laughed at by most masculine gays. It just sounded really flippant coming from you. I'm sorry but that seems to be a huge problem in the gay community. Masculine gays thinking they are superior to twinks when THEY BOTH have the social and relationship skills of rocks (from the ones I've met).

I see the way each person acts and dresses as an expression of his true self. If you don't have a true self and you are all about oppressing and bringing people that are "different" down, then I have no respect or admiration for you at all.

As for me I'm one of those high cultured, educated, live and let live type of persons. I don't know what area that falls under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I agree. I would say about 80% of the gay men I have interacted with are closeted and married or divorced. None are effeminate, none are flamboyant, etc. The "twinks" as they are known are laughed at by most masculine gays. Still the twinks are necessary and activists like ACT UP paved the way for our gay pride movement.

There is a great misunderstanding of the str8 world, that is, they forget that most gays who were born in the 1920's to 1950's were under great pressure to lead straight lives. Consequently, most gay men over 65 are closeted and masculine.

I feel sorry for people like Sierra who have such a negative view of gay men, when in fact, she has been meeting gay men all her life, except they were married to women, church going, teachers, etc. They just didn't prance around for her benefit.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
it was cute......halloween there was this guy (maybe 18 or so) dressed up as a fairy....my 6 year old was handing out candy and she goes "huhh....that's strange. A boy dressed up like a fairy"? she said it like right to the guy and he picked her up and hugged her then told her to be good......it was the cutest thing ever.....I think she still might be a bit confused though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships