Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:47 AM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,873 times

Advertisements

OK, there have been a few threads about online dating, so based on experience, what would you say are "danger signs" to look for in someones profile or e-mails that would make you stay away?

I'm wondering right now about a guy who contacted me on one site. We've been e-mailing for two weeks. Yes, two weeks of once daily e-mails and no phone calls even though I gave the guy my number several e-mails ago. Am I being strung along while he dates someone else, just in case that relationship doesn't work, I'm next in line?? He's divorced with three kids and said that this is his first time using an online dating site, so maybe he's just being cautious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 11:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
I would not wait for him. Be cautious yourself. I did meet someone on line. It was not on a dating site. In fact, he thought I was a guy for a week.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:26 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloop6 View Post
OK, there have been a few threads about online dating, so based on experience, what would you say are "danger signs" to look for in someones profile or e-mails that would make you stay away?

I'm wondering right now about a guy who contacted me on one site. We've been e-mailing for two weeks. Yes, two weeks of once daily e-mails and no phone calls even though I gave the guy my number several e-mails ago. Am I being strung along while he dates someone else, just in case that relationship doesn't work, I'm next in line?? He's divorced with three kids and said that this is his first time using an online dating site, so maybe he's just being cautious?
My personal opinion (shared by several women I have dated) is to meet sooner than later to avoid weeks of mails to just meet the person and find there is no chemistry or other issues that can't be disguised over the phone.

ASK HIM DIRECTLY that you'd like to speak in person or move on. Just be upfront.

P.S. I am dating\chatting with about 5-6 women right now and there is nothing wrong with it as I am not even near being serious with anyone yet.

Best of luck

Old 11-08-2008, 12:29 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
I'm next in line??
I think that while he may turn out to be okay to date and eventually have a long term relationship, please keep in mind that you're both on an online dating site. Just as you were looking through the profiles trying to figure out who to contact, he's been doing the same. And it's perfectly normal to want to check out the inventory before picking one the one to focus one.

So just be realistic about what you are doing. Don't develop a crush on him because you think he is crushing on your internet messages. And don't ask him if he is corresponding with anyone else on the site. It's not smart to ask a question like that and put him on the spot. If anything, if he tells you that you are the only one, it's sure to be a white lie just to keep you happy. And if he's completely truthful, you're going to get jealous over nothing.

Just go slow and work on the friendship first before the romance.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
if somebody gives me their phone number I don't usually call unless given direct request to do so.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:58 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,873 times
I may have just found the answer to my own question.

Online Dating -- Five Things to Avoid - Switched

Old 11-08-2008, 01:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
she looks like a movie star but is on line dating.
or he is a 24 year old medical doctor and he is on line dating.
for the guy tell tale red flags. i have laughing dancing eyes.
i like to watch movies spend time relaxing
walking on the beach holdling hands.
translation i weight 325.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:04 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:

He could string you along and be dating someone else, no matter HOW you met him. Everyone is different. Some want to meet right away (usually the guys) and determine chemistry right away, so that they don't "waste time". Some prefer to get a sense of who you are, before meeting. If he is really interested, I do think he would call. So why don't you tell him that? You're gonna have to get specific - let people know what you are thinking. Tell him that you are "e-mailed out" and if he wants to call, he has your number. And leave it at that.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:18 PM

519 posts, read 1,697,501 times
A girl friend of mine has been using Match, and she does not let email convos to last longer than a week. She goes from email to phone calls ASAP and then meeting in person. In her experience the longer the email time the more awkward the face-to-face transition is. I would have to agree with her. I don't want to just email someone forever .. let's move to the face-to-face ASAP.

You might want to suggest meeting, and if he avoids the topic, I would think it is time to move on to someone who wants to meet you ASAP. That is how I would do it.

A red flag of mine is continuous "misunderstandings" .. like reading into something I said and then getting mad at me. I hate that. Sometimes online communication can cause a lot of misunderstandings because we can't see the facial expressions or hear the vocal tones. So if there are a lot of fights/disagreements over online communication, I'd steer clear. Besides, that is why it is better to meet ASAP!

Old 11-08-2008, 04:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Dude, even hot guys like myself have issues finding dates. Don't be pointing fingers in judgment now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
she looks like a movie star but is on line dating.
or he is a 24 year old medical doctor and he is on line dating.
for the guy tell tale red flags. i have laughing dancing eyes.
i like to watch movies spend time relaxing
walking on the beach holdling hands.
translation i weight 325.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships